Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Dash cam

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The only gap that I can see inside the 2018 Q5 is behind the sun visor either behind the driver or passenger side.

The dash cam should mount at the center below the rear mirror. Therefore, the wire routed from the dash cam to the sun visor will be exposed and hence, it will look "ugly" cosmetically.

There must be a way to drop the headliner to tug the wire behind, however I do not know how because my car has not arrived until October.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I managed to get mine tucked in the headliner without much issue - the only spot you can see it is where it comes around the A-pillar.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Please show us some pictures, thanks.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've got a ROAV dashcam. It's mounted right behind the rearview mirror. Cable runs up into the headliner, around and then down the a-pillar - down in the liner of the door - around and under the dash and back out by the power outlet.

The dashcam came w/ a tool to help w/ the liner. Instead of using it to pull the liner out, I used it to tuck the cable in.

Sorry for the dark pictures - took these earlier this AM before heading into work.

Dash came mounted behind rearview mirror - wire runs up into the headliner.

This is the ugly spot for the wire. I couldn't tuck it into the crease w/o pulling apart the pillar liner. It tucks into the door seal to go along the edge of the door.

Spot where the cable comes around from the door seal. You can only see this if the door is open.

Cable is tucked neatly under the glovebox and along the bottom of the dash - pops out right at the power outlet.

I've got a 2nd cam in the back window - I'll get pix of that posted hopefully this evening.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not bad. Can you tell us how do you manage to pull the headliner down and tuck the cable in? I was at the dealership and I could not even squeeze a gap there. What is the trick? Can you take a picture at the front of the window showing the cable tucked in the headliner?

Regarding the wire near the A-pillar, you can use a credit card and tuck the wire in. I did it on most of my vehicles. It should work.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You can't really see anything from the front of the car (sorry for the lighting in my garage - overhead light made it worse)

My dash cam came w/ a tool to help deal with the cables and tuck them in. I put the small end into the liner, pulled just a little bit - enough to get a snug "grab" on the cable and then gently slid to the right while tucking more of the cable in.

I tried using that on the bit w/ the a-pillar, but I didn't really get much "give" from the liner, and was afraid of screwing it up. I'll try the credit card tip - thanks!

Front of the car - you can't really see the cable

Cable tool - top view

Cable tool - side view
Old 06-21-2017, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Here is my rear dash cam. Same model as the front. It isn't actually stuck to the rear window itself (didn't want to potentially ruin the defrost lines). I stuck it to an old suction-cup holder I had in my garage from a radar detector I used to use.

The camera itself is positioned on the passenger side, just inside the path of the rear wiper (for those rainy/snowy days). While driving, the camera is obscured by the rear passenger headrest - so you can't see it in the rearview mirror.

I have no issues w/ the cable going from the door to the interior when I open and shut the hatch, although I can see the cable pop out. I'm looking into creative ways of tethering that down, but as it is, it isn't terribly annoying.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it.

Rear dash cam mounted

Cable going from the hatch to the interior

Cable coming from the lining and heading to the rear power outlet
Old 06-21-2017, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for your pictures, this would help a lot for me to have an idea how to route the cable inside the headliner.

I have one of those prying tool as well at home.

So based on what you said, if I use one of these prying tool, I can lower the headliner in order to tuck in the the wire , correct me if I am wrong..

The most stubborn area that I cannot find the gap (zero gap) is the location where there is something hard /solid behind the headliner, it starts from where the dome light location down to the sunvisor.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, I didn't pull very hard on the headliner - just enough to get a snug hold on the cable.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by helicine
Yes, I didn't pull very hard on the headliner - just enough to get a snug hold on the cable.
As long as I can tuck the cable in, I will be very happy.

Well, I am gonna to do this job most likely in November because the car will be arrived to the dealership in October.

Quick Reply: Dash cam