Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Dash cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone installed the dash cam recently? I still cannot tuck the wire inside the headliner. Help.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mazinger
Anyone installed the dash cam recently? I still cannot tuck the wire inside the headliner. Help.
I was able to get the wire in. Maybe your wire is too thick?

Also, I use this tool to help.
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-29-2017, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by istroke
I was able to get the wire in. Maybe your wire is too thick?

Also, I use this tool to help.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L8GHB7O/
Did you insert the tool in and pull down the headliner? I am afraid the headliner will damage while I am pulling? Any tricks? Why the headliner is so tight? I feel they have foam insulation behind.

I got a Viofo A119 dash cam.

Thanks.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mazinger
Did you insert the tool in and pull down the headliner? I am afraid the headliner will damage while I am pulling? Any tricks? Why the headliner is so tight? I feel they have foam insulation behind.

I got a Viofo A119 dash cam.

Thanks.
I used the tools to pull out enough to tuck the wire in. I didn't pull all way out. It was a bit tough to pull on. One tool to pull and at the same on another tool to push wire in.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by istroke
I used the tools to pull out enough to tuck the wire in. I didn't pull all way out. It was a bit tough to pull on. One tool to pull and at the same on another tool to push wire in.
How about the A-pillar? How did you manage to tuck the wire in?

Where did you get the power from? 12V outlet or fuse box? If it is the fuse box, which fuse should I choose?
Old 11-30-2017, 02:03 AM
V0X
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

why dont you take your car and dash cam to a reputable car stereo shop? I'm 100% confident they could give you what you want without tearing up your interior (or showing fugly wires)
Old 11-30-2017, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by V0X
why dont you take your car and dash cam to a reputable car stereo shop? I'm 100% confident they could give you what you want without tearing up your interior (or showing fugly wires)
I asked already and they told me my car will be their first car to experiment.

Would you go?
Old 11-30-2017, 04:35 AM
V0X
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yes. a car is a car and they have all the tools and experience. do you?
Old 11-30-2017, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by V0X
yes. a car is a car and they have all the tools and experience. do you?
I have most of the tools to pry out the trims, however, there are mot many shops in my area have experience deal with this new Q5.

They told me that they had lots of experiences how to install the dash cams but what I could see inside the shops were people using the fingers pulling out the trims. Beside, you never know what they broke and they would not not allow you to watch they were doing to your car.

i installed dash cam to my another car because I researched the info before doing the work. Since it is your own car, it is always good to collect information from others to ensure what you are doing before taking pieces apart.

Agree?
Old 12-02-2017, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had a chance to visit the dealership and spoke to the technician regarding the dashcam installation. He told me it was dangerous to tuck the wire behind the A-pillar without removing the A-pillar trim. The reason was once the airbag deployed during a car accident and the dashcam wire would hit your face due to it was not secured and blocked the way of the airbag location.

He suggested removing the A-pillar trim and routed the wire along with the existing wires behind the A-pillar and secured them together. However, once the A-pillar trim was removed, some of the plastic clips must be replaced and not be re-used.

I spoke to most of the local audio / dashcam shops in my area and they did not know anything about the replacement of the plastic clips and removal of the A-pillar. Most of the shops told me they would tuck the wire under the headliner and run along the a-pillar and connected to the fuse panel.

Did anyone remove the A-pillar, route and secure the dashcam wire? Did you disconnect the battery before doing this job?

Quick Reply: Dash cam