Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Driver Assistance Package on Q5

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

^^^ I notice this as well - just decided to turn ALA off for this very reason. I'll turn it back on for highway if going long distances.

I also have one place where there is a turning lane to the left. The double yellow line is nice and bright but the white line separator between main the lane and the new turning lane is faded. The car wants to pull me into the turning lane each time I pass by this spot because it can't "see" the white line. Odd cause this isn't the "center" of the lane - not sure why it wants to hug the left double lines. The first time this caught me off guard. With this new tech, we have to be at least as aware driving. I want to use it as a safety backup, not introduce more safety issues. Still, I like it enough on highways to continue using it.

I love ACC. Not perfect, but one feature worth the whole package for me.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to encourage Audi to reduce this adverse steering input. I believe it is to force the driver to make corrections which the feature uses to determine if the driver is holding onto the steering wheel. Like you, I find it annoying enough that I don't use this feature. If enough owners bring this annoyance to Audi's attention they may do something about it.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dlbrown711
I'm trying to encourage Audi to reduce this adverse steering input. I believe it is to force the driver to make corrections which the feature uses to determine if the driver is holding onto the steering wheel. Like you, I find it annoying enough that I don't use this feature. If enough owners bring this annoyance to Audi's attention they may do something about it.
How are you giving feedback to Audi? Thorough your dealer or online?
Old 06-12-2018, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I took my Q5 into the dealer and also made a survey comment about my dissatisfaction wit the traffic jam assist. Dealer is looking for another Q5 with this feature to compare.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Under 45mph, it's subtle. I don't always feel it - just sometimes - it seems random at the moment but I'm sure there is a logic to it. My wife points it out to me, as she can feel me fighting with the car.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't need it, don't want it. None of the DAP "features". I'm a driver, not an appliance operator.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regarding “fighting with the car”, I find that I need to fight the Audi lane assist in my SQ5 much more than with my previous 2016 Lexus. My Lexus spent less time fighting with me when it deemed me veering into another lane, and just focused on the vibrating to let me know. Since the Audi does the same vibrating, I don’t know why it also needs to tug me one way or another regularly. It is annoying enough that I disable the lane assist from time to time, which is unfortunate. Also, by upping the vibrating to “strong” with OBDEleven, it now vibrates the equivalent of a standard vibration on my previous car. That said, I am happy with the DAP in general, and the ACC is great in certain situations on NY/NJ highways and in NY/NJ traffic.

Edit to say that I was just checking some new OBDEleven Apps, and there is a new “Lane Assist Steering Support” App which includes weak, medium and strong. This is different than the early, medium, late setting, and it says that “You can change lane assist steering support”. I just checked, and my setting was medium, so I changed it to weak. I’ll see if that reduces the tug and fighting.

Last edited by jeffrey r; 06-12-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The lane assist (above 40 mph) on my Q5 behaves well and doesn't seem to add steering until the vehicle is close to the lane markers. When in traffic jam assist mode (under 40 mph) the steering tries to oppose me even while right in the middle of the lane. Enough that, if I release the steering wheel, the wheel will move 10-15 degrees counter to what my input was. If I get close to the lane markers it behaves properly and steers back to the center of the lane.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ltxi
Don't need it, don't want it. None of the DAP "features". I'm a driver, not an appliance operator.
Pretty much have to agree with the above. I get that there are some advantages to DAP and that for certain types of driving it would be great (i.e. long high speed commutes), but I already find a lot of the non-DAP electronic nannies annoying and have no desire for more.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I do like using ALA and ACC but they both feel like 1st generation software. They are sure to improve vastly in the next few years and will probably be standard features on all cars. Seems foolish not to get them if you want your Audi to be as up-to-date as possible when you sell it.

Quick Reply: Driver Assistance Package on Q5