Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Electrical fault

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical fault

Hi Guys,
I had my 18' SQ5 Prestige totaled by a drunk driver, and just bought a replacement 18' Prestige identical to my totaled vehicle. Upon delivery, it was perfectly fine, but over the past two weeks, I have been having an electrical fault which is preventing my car from starting. I unlock my car, hit the start/stop button, and hear my starter motor cranking but it won't fire up. I typically just get out of the car lock it, unlock it and try again until it starts up normally. This process always works but varies between 2-10 attempts. Once started I am in limp mode @ 5,500 RPM redline. I have an array of system faults from sport differential, to the safety system, to ESC malfunction, etc. I have a code reader that shows few passive faults, and I clear them sometimes the warning lights go away, and sometimes they don't. This is really weird because once it starts, it is flawless for the rest of the day, and typically after 10-15 minutes of driving all the error lights clear from my dashboard. This problem happens every other day or every other second day.

Has anyone experienced this before?
I know I should take it in to Audi, but I am afraid this will be a rather expensive problem.
Old 11-15-2022, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 341 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by calirado
Hi Guys,
I had my 18' SQ5 Prestige totaled by a drunk driver, and just bought a replacement 18' Prestige identical to my totaled vehicle. Upon delivery, it was perfectly fine, but over the past two weeks, I have been having an electrical fault which is preventing my car from starting. I unlock my car, hit the start/stop button, and hear my starter motor cranking but it won't fire up. I typically just get out of the car lock it, unlock it and try again until it starts up normally. This process always works but varies between 2-10 attempts. Once started I am in limp mode @ 5,500 RPM redline. I have an array of system faults from sport differential, to the safety system, to ESC malfunction, etc. I have a code reader that shows few passive faults, and I clear them sometimes the warning lights go away, and sometimes they don't. This is really weird because once it starts, it is flawless for the rest of the day, and typically after 10-15 minutes of driving all the error lights clear from my dashboard. This problem happens every other day or every other second day.

Has anyone experienced this before?
I know I should take it in to Audi, but I am afraid this will be a rather expensive problem.
I’ll guess that the problem is unique. Sometimes multiple lights come on to get a drivers attention even with just one fault. Was that vehicle affected by the gateway module recall and if so was that fixed? Its possible water intrusion in that module would give multiple faults. It’s odd the vehicle acts normal after a few minutes of driving. Heat heat related?
Old 11-15-2022, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 105 Posts

It could be a battery issue. Put the battery on a charger and see if it reoccurs.
The following 2 users liked this post by 383vett:
Sandroad (11-15-2022), TJK (11-15-2022)