Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Euro spec wireless charging, size of nook

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Euro spec wireless charging, size of nook

Can't say I'm not more than a bit disappointed the US models don't come with the built in Qi charging nook below the arm rest.

Anyhow, I don't have my car yet and was planning on tearing apart a cheapo charging pad to hide inside the nook where the euro spec does. Looking for measurements if anyone could provide them to me.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-06-2017, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by umdstu
Can't say I'm not more than a bit disappointed the US models don't come with the built in Qi charging nook below the arm rest.

Anyhow, I don't have my car yet and was planning on tearing apart a cheapo charging pad to hide inside the nook where the euro spec does. Looking for measurements if anyone could provide them to me.

Thanks in advance!
If you have a normal sized phone (i.e not an iPhone) good luck fitting one in the nook to charge wirelessly. Neither my S8+ or Note 8 fully fit into the space. I'll try to measure it for you if I get a chance.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Since the wireless charger in the Euro model is in the sliding tray, is it at all possible to get the Euro tray and figure out how to get power to it in the US model? It seems likely that the connections are in there somewhere.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

@androidrobot thanks I appreciate that. Hopefully the new iPhone X fits in there.

I did notice the euro one is much shallower to account for the charging hardware. I don't why you couldn't obtain the part number for the euro tray and try to hook it up but I suspect it would be much more than a 10$ charger off Amazoni could dissect, but I'm open to it!
Old 11-06-2017, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

iPhone X fits just fine.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you! That gives me a great idea on dimensions too so I think my disassembled wireless charge plate will fit. Just need to fab a cover.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by umdstu
@androidrobot thanks I appreciate that. Hopefully the new iPhone X fits in there.

I did notice the euro one is much shallower to account for the charging hardware. I don't why you couldn't obtain the part number for the euro tray and try to hook it up but I suspect it would be much more than a 10$ charger off Amazoni could dissect, but I'm open to it!
Its a small phone, so I have no doubt it will. I don't buy phones with sub 6" displays anymore since everyone is going to 18.5:9 aspect ratios. Wireless charging is relatively simple to integrate if you don't mind doing some irreversible changes to the sliding tray. I recommend a 3 coil wireless charger, you will thank me later. I've used wireless charging since Android first got it back around 2012.