iPod "not supported"

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
What's an iPod?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously, is an iPod -- from a sound perspective -- something that is "better" than an iPhone? This is the first time I have seen the "term" iPod, seemingly, in DECADES!

And I'm over 60! My iPhone has thousands of songs on it, dozens of audio books and hundreds of photos -- probably has a movie on it, for all I know -- why, prey tell, would there be a need -- no offense meant -- for ANOTHER freakin' device?

Can an iPod's contents be moved to an iPhone?

Of course, I'm still wondering where the cassette player on my 2018 is.

Thank god I bought a back-up VHS deck just in case they ever became obsolete.

Sorry -- my assumption is that someone, somewhere did a "market penetration" evaluation and came up with a number (under 1%) for iPod use so small it couldn't be displayed -- so someone in [Audi corporate] finance said, "You know we've got to pay for that damn diesel-gate crap, so anything we can do to save a Euro or two here and there, we should do -- bye bye iPod interface."
Concerning the 2018 Q5 iPod defect: The primary difference between an iPhone and and an iPod is cellular network support. The software and hardware interfaces using the Lightning cable are pretty much identical. Audi engineers must have worked really hard to support iPhones via USB and reject iPods. You can play an iPod via the Bluetooth interface but if you try to charge the iPod with the USB port, the Bluetooth connection is dropped. The best workaround may be to transfer the iPod music to a flash drive. Using a mobile phone as a music player works too, but you have to fiddle with the Music app after you start the car to play the music.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a known issue and a TSB was issued for it. Apple iPods have used a technology called the iPod Accessory Protocol (iAP) to interface with third party devices, like MMI. iAP1 was built-in to products up to the 7th Generation Nano. iAP2 debuted on the touch and newer iPhones and iPads.

Audi dropped support for iAP1 back in late 2016 because Apple has all but deprecated it.

I use a tool from the Mac App Store called iTunesExport to export my music to SD card and use one of the slots for playback.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I ran into this problem last July when moving from a 2016 Q5 to the 2018. As I used my iPod Nano in the 2016 I made a point of making sure it would work in the 2018. Alas when I went to use it no good. The dealer tried all possible, different cables, settings etc.

The end of the story is that the Nano is not supported. I had to get a iPod Classic which interfaces fine and has been working since.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:06 PM
jS5
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ThumperD
I ran into this problem last July when moving from a 2016 Q5 to the 2018. As I used my iPod Nano in the 2016 I made a point of making sure it would work in the 2018. Alas when I went to use it no good. The dealer tried all possible, different cables, settings etc.

The end of the story is that the Nano is not supported. I had to get a iPod Classic which interfaces fine and has been working since.
Hi there, its been a week \i have my S5 2018 and just tiday \i tried connecting my ipod classic, with no success. Which version of the classic do you have? must be the newest generation.
Let me know. Thanks
Old 06-08-2018, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've used an Ipod for years with my cars. I recently switched over to SD Cards. I can now play .flac's and still do playlists. No looking back.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi,

The classic I used must be the latest version as it was purchased last August ( got the Q5 in July). The model number is MKWM2LL/A if this helps you.

Steve
Old 06-08-2018, 04:54 PM
jS5
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi,

The classic I used must be the latest version as it was purchased last August ( got the Q5 in July). The model number is MKWM2LL/A if this helps you.

Steve
Thank you. I was due for a new i\pod anyways.
Regarding SD cards, is there an advantage over usb thumbdrives?
Old 06-08-2018, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I tried both the sd card and usb when the iPod didn’t work.. they will give you your music but they don’t organize the music as the iPod does.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I tried both the sd card and usb when the iPod didn’t work.. they will give you your music but they don’t organize the music as the iPod does.
How so? I can't find one thing an Ipod does that the SD card doesn't do. If your music is tagged properly it works just fine and it's WAY faster than an iPod touch. My 2cents.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:01 PM
jS5
Audiworld Junior Member

Matt how did you get playlists to work? I have my m3u on the usb thumb drive which worked on benx c400.

Quick Reply: iPod "not supported"