Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

JB4 on the SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like most of the effort to install JB4 is the OBDII connector.

What is the JB4 OBDII connector used for? Is it necessary? is it always plugged in as you’re driving?

I have a Valentine 1 Savvy that’s connected to OBDII port at all times and don’t want to lose that functionality, if possible.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spindlewood
So it sounds like there is a (remote) chance that the power could be shut down. If so, is this a potentially dangerous situation (e.g. while passing) OR is it only for a split second where it would only be a stutter at best and no safety issue.
+1 - any input on safety would be appreciated

@iceberg
i have seen obd ii splitters but have no idea how reliable those are.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceberg_S5
Seems like most of the effort to install JB4 is the OBDII connector.

What is the JB4 OBDII connector used for? Is it necessary? is it always plugged in as you’re driving?

I have a Valentine 1 Savvy that’s connected to OBDII port at all times and don’t want to lose that functionality, if possible.
It merges in other functionality (ability to inhibit boost on a cold engine, etc). George would have to chime on additional functionality the ODBII connector brings.

If you get an IAT fault, and it drops boost for a split second like George was describing, it would be more of a hiccup of power if the boost is dumped.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Wires
Since the JB4 is out, I decided it was time to bit the bullet and pick one up. Install was pretty easy, takes a bit more time if you want to pretty it up. Install is pretty straight forward, but here is a couple of tips:
1) The connectors have a little colored "lock" that needs to be pulled back to release the connector. Once it's pulled back, pressing down on the colored lock clip will release the connector, and should unplug with a simple pull. One exception is the fuel pressure connector (top left on the image). You may need to place a flat screwdriver at the base of the connector and twist gently to pop the connector loose.
2) The recommended location for the JB4 is by the brake booster, under that flip down cover (top right of the picture, near the windshield). The rubber weather stripping can be pulled off slightly (pull it straight towards the front of the vehicle), which will allow the plastic cover to be raised. You can then release the clips on the brake booster grommet (with the foam insert), and pass the JB4 cable through it for a clean install.
3) Inside that cavity you can see the little grommet that is used to pass the OBDII wire back into the cabin.
4) You will need an 8mm socket to remove the two screws that hold the cover at the bottom of the dash. You will also need a 10mm socket to remove the two plastic nuts that hold the second half of this cover (around the steering column, on the firewall).
5) I found that if you pull the bottom of the dash out a bit, you can then pop the rear cover piece down so that you can access the grommet location from the inside. Picture is a bit hard to see, but it's pretty much eye level when you look in from the bottom. I passed a stiff wire from the outside in, and then pulled the OBDII wire back into the brake booster cavity. Have someone shine a flashlight from the outside (into the grommet) if you have issues finding the inside location.
6) Be VERY CAREFUL when connecting the OBDII plug to the JB4. The connector has 4 pin locations, with the plastic chamfered as "keys". It is possible to plug it in 90 or 180 degrees wrong. This messes up the CAN bus, and will cause the car to throw every fault code known. If this happens, don't panic. Turn off the car, clear all the codes, lock the door and let it sit for 5 minutes to go to sleep. It will return to normal once it wakes up again.

Taking it for a quick spin after install puts a nice smile on your face. I removed the DTUK unit to install the JB4. Here is what you'll notice for differences:

Power Delivery:
JB4 - starts linear and exponentially builds. Very predictable under all throttle angles.
DTUK - really aggressive off/on transitions (like a giant with a sledge hammer). Fun when messing around, not fun when you get that transition on an onramp cloverleaf.

Shifts:
JB4 - butter smooth under all load conditions
DTUK - engine stumbles and farts if shifted under high load

All in all, it feels just like stock, with the exception of a lot more power. Highly recommend it!
How long did it take you to install? Do you think it would be a pain to uninstall this when going for service ?

I would like to keep it installed for service appointments but looks like it would be obvious that the JB4 is there I.e OBD connector, wires running across engine bay under hood...
Old 10-18-2018, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Iceberg_S5

How long did it take you to install? Do you think it would be a pain to uninstall this when going for service ?

I would like to keep it installed for service appointments but looks like it would be obvious that the JB4 is there I.e OBD connector, wires running across engine bay under hood...
Been through service 2 times already since I got mine (just realized that have done about 10k miles with the JB4 installed!). Takes me about 20 minutes to remove or install. I leave the OBDII connector wire in (I went through the firewall) and take everything else out. I unplug the OBII connector and just leave it in tucked up into the dash panels.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by cmoore86
Been through service 2 times already since I got mine (just realized that have done about 10k miles with the JB4 installed!). Takes me about 20 minutes to remove or install. I leave the OBDII connector wire in (I went through the firewall) and take everything else out. I unplug the OBII connector and just leave it in tucked up into the dash panels.
Great idea to leave the OBDII wire in place- that will make the hassle of removal far less. How many zip ties are you adding each time?

Have you noticed any impact on mpg better or worse? Some tunes advertise possible gains since more torque with lower rpm. Obviously more acceleration will reduce efficiency but after a few nice pulls I expect most go back to pre-JB4 driving habits.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great idea to leave the OBDII wire in place- that will make the hassle of removal far less. How many zip ties are you adding each time?

Have you noticed any impact on mpg better or worse? Some tunes advertise possible gains since more torque with lower rpm. Obviously more acceleration will reduce efficiency but after a few nice pulls I expect most go back to pre-JB4 driving habits.
I am using 3 zip ties each time in the engine bay. I use white ones to make them easy to see and remove.

I just went in for service so the JB4 is off the car for moment. I have seen a change of about 2mpg less without the JB4 these past couple of days. I used to be able to get it up to 28-29 at best on my normal drive to/from work, but now the best I am seeing is 26-27. Maybe traffic hasnt been the same or I am driving more aggressively or something, but to be honest I do notice myself using more throttle input when passing and what not. Just saying all that makes me wonder why I havent taken the 20 minutes to put it back on yet!
Old 10-18-2018, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That would be great. 6 or 7 percent better gas mileage with the JB4 would be an added bonus. The JB4 might just pay for itself over the lifetime of the car. Mine arrives on Saturday. I've tracked mpg since the beginning so in a few weeks I should have some data points to add.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

That would be great. 6 or 7 percent better gas mileage with the JB4 would be an added bonus. The JB4 might just pay for itself over the lifetime of the car. Mine arrives on Saturday. I've tracked mpg since the beginning so in a few weeks I should have some data points to add.
Great. I'll be wanting to hear about the mileage. Been following the JB4 threads and nobody has commented on mileage, yet. And I do understand. Folks are trying to increase performance. But from what I have been able to gather from the threads, these piggybacks are making the engines and shift points more efficient. If they would also increase mileage for those of us that pretty much keep the car in auto, with only the occasional heavy foot, the market for that rascal would increase. In other words, we wouldn't be changing our driving habits, but would be getting the benefits of greater efficiency.
Glad you brought this point up, Spindlewood. I was just about to start a thread asking the question about mileage. But didn't quite know how to ask it because there is so much sophistication here about the electronics, that us old timey carburetor and points guys get lost (lol). Didn't quite know how to ask the question, so that we could understand the answer.
So far the only thing that I miss from my Q5 to the SQ5. I'm a fairly light foot and used to get high 20's and then low 30's on the highway - figured w/paper and pencil, not the car's computer.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Quick install question. I got the bluetooth quick connect kit and it has a blue wire which loops around to the harness side and connects to one of the red wires using a barrel like connector.

The blue wire goes through the red end and makes contact with a silver post. I don't see what keeps the wire affixed to the connector. Can anyone clarify? I've attached a pic with arrows showing the two parts in question. The red screw cap is already slid down on the blue wire to the right.

Quick Reply: JB4 on the SQ5