Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Lease vs. Buy advice-2019 Q5 Prestige

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by edwyun
Agreed. If I remember correctly, the cost of the miles goes up from beginning, middle and then end of the lease term. In the end, what happened in my case was that they gave me more credit for the extra miles than what I should have paid for them at the beginning of the lease (part of the one-pay lease negotiation). Not sure about your area but the dealers I was negotiating with were chomping at the bit for a one-pay lease.
Correct

.15c at lease inception
.20c mid term
.25c if you go over

above are all per mile costs

I’ve done a handful of one pays both personally and for clients, but it’s not a very popular structure in my overall region
Old 06-13-2019, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are only going to keep the car for 3 years and drive less than 15k miles per year then lease it. Also, the Prestige is not the best to lease vs the Premium Plus. I was told by 4 different people that the Prem + is a better lease deal than Prestige. because the Prestige loses 4% on the residual. It was about $100-$150 extra per month in cost. I was still going to go with a Prestige but ended up going with the P+ because I couldn't find the color combo I wanted in a Prestige.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also if you are want to get some quotes on an SQ5 give Gor and Paul at Legends Auto Group a call or text (424) 278-8216. He is a broker and got me the absolute best deal on my SQ5. I called other dealers and visited 2 local dealerships in person and Gor beat them all and even delivered the car to my home. We signed the paperwork in my home office and I never even stepped into a dealership.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
Correct

.15c at lease inception
.20c mid term
.25c if you go over

above are all per mile costs

I’ve done a handful of one pays both personally and for clients, but it’s not a very popular structure in my overall region

You only need to care about the mileage overage if you plan to return the car to Audi and walk away.... If you trade in the car for another Audi lease or another brand of car at another dealer then they will not care about the mileage.

When you sign the lease there will be a pre-agreed payoff price to buy-out the car at the end of the lease. Think of this like a payoff on a loan when you trade in. Meaning at the end of your lease just go shopping for a new car like normal, don’t consider the Lease-turn-in process at the dealer you bought from. At that same time look up the BlueBook or NADA used car value of the Audi you are trading in, then subtract the payoff amount from the original lease agreement you signed...typically you will have equity becuase the payoff will be less than what the BlueBook or NADA value of the car is. At the same time the new dealer you are buying from will not care about the mileage or small damage (just like any other used car they are taking in on trade) because they are making money on the new car you are buying and just paying off the old one to re-sell as used or auction. A few extra thousand miles on a used car is never a consideration for their next buyer...

Dealers doing leases might to lead you to believe you MUST return the car to them. They may point out the cost of the mileage and small wear and tear damage...then they offer to waive that when they lease you a new car cuz they will make money on the next car they lease you. Oh and the selling dealer may have an even lower payoff than what you agreed to...so consider that, they will charge you for extra miles or a few scratches...pay off the car for several thousand less then stick the car back on the lot and charge the next person Certified Pre-Owned prices.

The Lease process can be tricky

Last edited by MkVI GTI; 06-13-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by MkVI GTI
You only need to care about the mileage overage if you plan to return the car to Audi and walk away.... If you trade in the car for another Audi lease or another brand of car at another dealer then they will not care about the mileage.

When you sign the lease there will be a pre-agreed payoff price to buy-out the car at the end of the lease. Think of this like a payoff on a loan when you trade in. Meaning at the end of your lease just go shopping for a new car like normal, don’t consider the Lease-turn-in process at the dealer you bought from. At that same time look up the BlueBook or NADA used car value of the Audi you are trading in, then subtract the payoff amount from the original lease agreement you signed...typically you will have equity becuase the payoff will be less than what the BlueBook or NADA value of the car is. At the same time the new dealer you are buying from will not care about the mileage or small damage (just like any other used car they are taking in on trade) because they are just paying off the car and taking it as trade to re-sell as used. A few extra thousand miles on a used car is never a consideration for their next buyer...

Dealers doing leases love to lead you to believe you MUST return the car to them. This gives them a chance to nickel and dime you on mileage, small wear and tear damage...then they will make money on the next car they lease you. Oh and the selling dealer has an even lower payoff than what you agreed to...so consider that, they will charge you for extra miles or a few scratches...pay off the car for several thousand less then stick the car back on the lot and charge the next person Certified Pre-Owned prices.

The Lease process prays on people who don’t know the car buying process and can cost people thousands of dollars.
The dealer has nothing to do with charging you for mileage - the bank (AFS or the third party bank of such is the case) does that. The dealer doesn’t charge you nor collect that money - Audi bills you, the lessee, for it.

Fwiw the dealer payoff on an Audi is not lower than the residual. In fact it’s a few hundred more because there are fees from AFS to a dealer. There are 3 different payoffs issued by AFS - the buyout to the lessee is always the lowest amount. Just like residual isn’t negotiable between lessee and lessor on an Audi, it’s not negotiable to a dealer either. This is all spelled out in the payoff that Audi gives us as dealer.

Once the car is grounded, which can only be done by an Audi dealer (any dealer in the country can take the car), the car is inspected. Audi has a third party inspect the car and issues a turn in report to AFS; the dealer has zero to do with this. The report cites damage or over mileage or any items missing. Any such things are billed directly to the lessee, unless they had lease end protection coverage.

90% of the cars returned to us, whether originally leased from us or not, are not purchased and sold as CPO. They are reported to Audi and they pick them up and it goes to auction. Audi does not require the dealer buys the car. Most of the CPO cars we have are our loaners which we rotate out of service every 4-6 months or so. Having equity in a lease is slim nowadays unless the car has way less mileage than the lease contract was for. The buyout and market price, which I see on a daily basis, are generally extremely close. Exceptions exist but it’s definitely not the norm. Hence why we let Audi pick the overwhelming majority of lease returns up, vs us buying and reselling them.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Side story: I lease a Chrysler for my wife and the last 2 times she returned the car with 10% over the allotted mileage. The dealer just waived the overage charge. Now you might say that they ate the cost on the next lease. But this dealer significantly beat the terms of the other 2 dealers we priced. I don't know how they are able to do it.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:07 PM
TYJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Save a $hit ton on depreciation and buy my fully loaded 2018 Q5 Prestige 11K miles for $43K

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/veh...nsion-2973963/

Direct flights from LA are cheap. Fly in and drive home.

Happy to FaceTime or Skype to show you the car.

Last edited by TYJ; 06-13-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
The dealer has nothing to do with charging you for mileage - the bank (AFS or the third party bank of such is the case) does that. The dealer doesn’t charge you nor collect that money - Audi bills you, the lessee, for it.

Fwiw the dealer payoff on an Audi is not lower than the residual. In fact it’s a few hundred more because there are fees from AFS to a dealer. There are 3 different payoffs issued by AFS - the buyout to the lessee is always the lowest amount. Just like residual isn’t negotiable between lessee and lessor on an Audi, it’s not negotiable to a dealer either. This is all spelled out in the payoff that Audi gives us as dealer.

Once the car is grounded, which can only be done by an Audi dealer (any dealer in the country can take the car), the car is inspected. Audi has a third party inspect the car and issues a turn in report to AFS; the dealer has zero to do with this. The report cites damage or over mileage or any items missing. Any such things are billed directly to the lessee, unless they had lease end protection coverage.

90% of the cars returned to us, whether originally leased from us or not, are not purchased and sold as CPO. They are reported to Audi and they pick them up and it goes to auction. Audi does not require the dealer buys the car. Most of the CPO cars we have are our loaners which we rotate out of service every 4-6 months or so. Having equity in a lease is slim nowadays unless the car has way less mileage than the lease contract was for. The buyout and market price, which I see on a daily basis, are generally extremely close. Exceptions exist but it’s definitely not the norm. Hence why we let Audi pick the overwhelming majority of lease returns up, vs us buying and reselling them.
This is why forums are good. Sharp people with many opinions who do a great job of breaking it down.

SCarGuy has more knowledge than I here, mine was only my and a few close friends experience and that was a few years ago. So probably Audi has better/tighter financing now and/or we were just exceptions.

No bad choices, ultimately you are driving a great car.
;