Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

No dipstick - but does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 393 Likes on 279 Posts

I also wish there were a dip stick for the 2018 SQ5. When changing the oil myself, using the MMI is a pain. The MMI has locked me out of the oil level display for many minutes at a time. It's supposed to be only two minutes after turning off the ignition, but somehow things don't always work as stated. I want to get the oil level when I want the level - not when Audi thinks I'm responsible enough to have the level.... As best as I can tell, no one has made one compatible with the 3.0 B9 engines. For the 2.0 this one might work from ECS

There's a couple of other posts on the topic of B9 dipsticks here and here.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by patmurphey
Did you not notice the grin? A bit of humor added to a salient point...

...And funny to say, this thread wouldn't have happened if it were an old time round oil quantity gauge.
No grinning here, the Pat's are taking a beating. Sorry I misinterpreted your post. Idaho.. I drove through there in the 70"s and I love your Potatoes.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
New oil can become very dark just after minutes of the engine running. If the car was driven around the dealership and presented to your friend's S4 and he pulled the dipstick it's likely the oil would no longer look new. In fact, it can be very difficult for a professional to tell the difference, let along an "amateur" (which would describe many Audi owners). This is because used oil no longer gets all nasty-looking like it did 10-20 years ago. Having a dipstick to check for an oil change could really only be done by an oil sample analysis.

You really think your Audi dealer is so corrupt they "fake" oil changes?!? Yikes....time to find a new dealer if that's all the confidence you have in them....
Being a person who's done his own oil changes on cars, trucks and motorcycles since the early 90's, I have to take exception to oil darkening as quickly as you say. My experience has been that oil darkens only after weeks of use and the contaminents have built up. That's one benefit to having a dipstick that the electronic gauge won't show you - you can see the color difference right on the dipstick and even on the rag you use to wipe. But if you take your car in for an oil change and it's dark that day then you can be pretty sure it wasn't changed. You can also smell the difference between old and new oil. But only if you have the experience and check it regularly to have that sort of mental reference framework in the first place, which admittedly your typical Audi driver probably won't have. My BMW motorcycle has a sight glass mounted on the side of the motor which is really cool because you could see the oil level right there....and it has reflective backing so you can see how dark the oil gets over time.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That's been my experience (over 50 years). The oil took days or weeks to darken (though they weren't synthetics).
Old 11-15-2018, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe it darkens quicker when using a vacuum and not getting all that you should/could out of the engine. I am with guys, having done my own oil for 30 years, it's not minutes.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 329 Likes on 257 Posts

Any vehicle with an oil cooler won't keep "clean looking" oil for very long. As soon as you start the engine, the old oil in the cooler and lines will blend with the new. That is all accounted for in the crankcase volume they spec.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
Any vehicle with an oil cooler won't keep "clean looking" oil for very long. As soon as you start the engine, the old oil in the cooler and lines will blend with the new. That is all accounted for in the crankcase volume they spec.
Good point. Didn't realize this.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 329 Likes on 257 Posts

Modern engines are a lot better for keeping the oil "looking clean". The direct injection and EFI makes them run leaner, and with tighter tolerances, oil comes out in 3x longer change intervals than vehicles in the '80s, and still "looks better". I used to change oil every 1800 miles on my '82 Chevy, and it would wreak of gas fumes and be black as coal.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
This was never a problem for me on my 2002 allroad. Then again that thing took like 8 quarts of oil, so plenty of dilution. I would always pull the dipstick after an oil change....just to see how badly it was overfilled (and it always was) but the new oil would look like honey and not at all like the old oil. I only wish I could pull the dipstick on my SQ since that oil was just changed Monday last week, but alas I cannot. No dipstick! Curses!
Old 12-09-2018, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just starting to look at replacing my Mazdaspeed 3 next year with a CPO SQ5. I'm disappointed to see Audi has gone this way. I had to replace exhaust valves on my 50k mile mercedes about 8 years ago because the oil condition / level system sucked and the timing chain tensioner failed. I check oil while getting gas pretty regularly, If I go with the SQ5 I will certainly be getting a dipstick, exhaust valves on a european supercharged low-mileage engine is (was) not fun, easy, or quick.

Quick Reply: No dipstick - but does it work?