Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Overly sensitive proximity key

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MH62
What year is your Q5. Our 2021 Q5 and 2019 S5 both have the proximity feature but they require a touch of the door handle or liftgate to do anything. The car should not do anything just by walking near it. Take it to the dealer.
Mine's a 2020. (Bought it new in January of this year.) I'm fine with just disabling that functionality. Like Ribeye, it drove me crazy when I hand-washed it, too. Nothing like having the tailgate pop open when you're in the middle of rinsing off a mountain of suds! Initially, I thought it was me inadvertently touching the door handles with a spray of water, so I started just leaving my key fob on a shelf in the garage 50' away when I washed the Audi. As this has bugged me more and more, though, I have noted the the car chirps all the time just walking near it anywhere in the garage -- no physical contact. I know I paid something for the proximity key, but for now, I'm very happy to disable it!
Old 06-03-2021, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 392 Likes on 278 Posts

I just put the key on the center console when washing. No hassle.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Does anyone know if the kick tailgate feature gets disabled if you add the trailer hitch? I know some makes and models lose this ability if a hitch is installed.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Pezzi
Mine's a 2020. (Bought it new in January of this year.) I'm fine with just disabling that functionality. Like Ribeye, it drove me crazy when I hand-washed it, too. Nothing like having the tailgate pop open when you're in the middle of rinsing off a mountain of suds! Initially, I thought it was me inadvertently touching the door handles with a spray of water, so I started just leaving my key fob on a shelf in the garage 50' away when I washed the Audi. As this has bugged me more and more, though, I have noted the the car chirps all the time just walking near it anywhere in the garage -- no physical contact. I know I paid something for the proximity key, but for now, I'm very happy to disable it!
I can sort of understand it chirping (although mine doesn't) when you get near it, but I don't understand it popping the tailgate. Surely it's not designed to do that. Could be an issue on a rainy day and somebody just happened to walk too close to it. You might want to have the dealer check it out.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

I've noticed one thing strange about my proximity access: if I just use two fingers to try to open the door, it'll lock itself, even in the garage where I don't lock it. I have to use three or four fingers to get it to open, whether locked or unlocked. If I leave it outside, I always lock it.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:31 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Pezzi
If you're not throwing water at it, nothing should happen when you walk by the car. If it was m mine, I would get it fixed.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 392 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by IAHawk1012
Does anyone know if the kick tailgate feature gets disabled if you add the trailer hitch? I know some makes and models lose this ability if a hitch is installed.
I have the port installed OEM hitch. Kick to open still works. I believe on both sides works, but I am right footed and only use that side.

I am not sure if it is more necessary to have to actually hit the car with my foot. But I usually end up doing so. I'm careful not to hit the hitch 😀
The following users liked this post:
IAHawk1012 (06-03-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 01:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Have a factory ordered hitch here. Mine works, but there is a learning curve. Works every time now for me if:
Have the fob on me.
Start by standing close (inches) to the vehicle.
With your foot reach up right next to the square tube of the hitch and hold it there for a second.
Take one step back away from the car.

Works every time now for me if I follow those exact steps.

My car unlocks and unlocks when washing if I don’t place the key elsewhere. Already new about this from our A3 Cab.
Old 06-04-2021, 01:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

I am interested about this as well.

I believe that I read that if the trailer lights are plugged in only the switch in the hatch itself will open it. All other opening methods are disabled as to not damage your hatch or what it hits. So you can stop it if it is to hit something, like your trailer or cargo in a lighted cargo carrier or motorcycle rack.