Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Presense false activation

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by chemengin
There was a member in the A4 forum that aggressively approached the car in front of him in order to get in front of the car next to time to make a lane change. His pre sense went off and almost stopped the car, to which he lamented that pre sense was dangerous by design. @Wires above is correct - the instances in the video posted above were warranted. The pre sense system is obviously unable to determine the driver's "awareness", but the rate of the car and other sensor detections (e.g., turn assist).
Well, anytime a supposedly safety system does a hard braking and interrupts your mentally planned route then one can argue it's dangerous because it can screw up your timing. As I mentioned, there should be an option to disable it completely. Audi obviously knows the system is not perfect but refuses to let users disable it. If that's their way to try to encourage a more "conservative" driving style then they're overstepping because it's none of their business how their customers drive.

Last edited by luder888; 03-18-2019 at 01:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
A6Virgin (08-14-2021)
Old 03-18-2019, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
Well, anytime a supposedly safety system does a hard braking and interrupts your mentally planned route then one can argue it's dangerous because it can screw up your timing. As I mentioned, there should be an option to disable it completely. Audi obviously knows the system is not perfect but refuses to let users disable it. If that's their way to try to encourage a more "conservative" driving style then they're overstepping because it's none of their business how their customers drive.
It's dangerous only because the driver intentionally attempts to defy the system the way it's supposed to work. Aggressively approaching the car in front of you in order to make an aggressive lane change and not expecting pre sense to act is ignorant.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's dangerous only because the driver intentionally attempts to defy the system the way it's supposed to work. Aggressively approaching the car in front of you in order to make an aggressive lane change and not expecting pre sense to act is ignorant.
Going back to my video. With the exception of the 4th example (which I shouldn't have included) where I went around the pickup truck, how are the rest of them justify Pre Sense activating?

1) I was well into my own turning lane, there's no reason why PS activated.
2) I was simply cruising towards a right turning car, by the time I get to the intersection that car would have been gone. No reason PS should be activated.
3) I was just going to an on ramp to get on the highway, but PS saw those construction reflectors and braked. That is not right.
4) Yes I'm being kind of an ahole there. Will probably take out that example as it's not an issue with PS. (Edit: I took this out from the video)
5) That was a wide suicide lane, I was simple getting a head start when making a U-turn. No collision was imminent.
6) Obviously shouldn't have kicked in when there's nothing behind me..

As I mentioned, there's a difference between the "system was working by design" vs. "the system was designed correctly". Yes I can argue all of those scenarios (with the exception of #3) the system was working as designed, but it's definitely not user friendly.

Last edited by luder888; 03-19-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
Going back to my video. With the exception of the 4th example (which I shouldn't have included) where I went around the pickup truck, how are the rest of them justify Pre Sense activating?

1) I was well into my own turning lane, there's no reason why PS activated.
2) I was simply cruising towards a right turning car, by the time I get to the intersection that car would have been gone. No reason PS should be activated.
3) I was just going to an on ramp to get on the highway, but PS saw those construction reflectors and braked. That is not right.
4) Yes I'm being kind of an ahole there. Will probably take out that example as it's not an issue with PS.
5) That was a wide suicide lane, I was simple getting a head start when making a U-turn. No collision was imminent.
6) Obviously shouldn't have kicked in when there's nothing behind me..

As I mentioned, there's a difference between the "system was working by design" vs. "the system was designed correctly". Yes I can argue all of those scenarios (with the exception of #3) the system was working as designed, but it's definitely not user friendly.
1) That was odd, I can agree with that only because the car did brake. Any possibility the sun caused it? Doubtful.
2) I've experienced PS similar to this (car in front slowing to turn right). Looks normal IMO as the car also did not brake.
3) PS did detect the reflectors and audibly warned, but again, no braking, so this seems normal to me.
4) Nah, the guy merged into your lane without signaling. That's on him. But as you approached the trailer quickly, the audible warning sounded as expected.
5) This is standard side assist. In my experience, Audi takes a conservative approach if it thinks you will turn left and hit the car going straight, thus braking the car. I now wait until the car fully passes, even though I know I could turn sooner.
6) Agreed. Many many people on this forum have had complaints about the high sensitivity of rear cross traffic assist

Based on this, the only false braking I saw was 1) and 5) (both unwarranted). The rest appear to be business as usual.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

3) PS did detect the reflectors and audibly warned, but again, no braking, so this seems normal to me.
PS did brake, but my foot was on the gas so I was able to bypass it quickly... In fact, PS braked in EVERY one of those scenarios. That is my biggest complaint. If it's only audible then i'm OK.

Last edited by luder888; 03-18-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Want to give an update about my experience at the dealership. They blamed it on the RS-style grille that I put on because I had removed the bumper and every time the bumper is removed the radars need to be re-calibrated. They want $599 to re-calibrate the system. I tried to work it out with the GM but they wouldn't budge. So I'm just going to have to live with this issue for now.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 329 Likes on 257 Posts

That is part of the service manual procedure when the grill is pulled off (so it's not them feeding you a load of bull). They have a note that cameras need to be recalibrated after a wheel alignment as well. When I swapped mine on my SQ5, everything seemed to continue to operate correctly, but if the radars had gotten tweaked outwards, you'd be picking up obstacles outside your lane to trigger presence.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wires
That is part of the service manual procedure when the grill is pulled off (so it's not them feeding you a load of bull). They have a note that cameras need to be recalibrated after a wheel alignment as well. When I swapped mine on my SQ5, everything seemed to continue to operate correctly, but if the radars had gotten tweaked outwards, you'd be picking up obstacles outside your lane to trigger presence.
Since my car is also under 12K/1yr, I tried to talk them into giving me an alignment because my car was pulling to the right. The service guy told me they put it on the alignment rack but didn't (I found out with my dash cam footage). All they did was a test drive and said everything is fine and the pulling is due to road crown. Pretty much lied to me to get me off their face.

Since alignment is covered within the first 12K/1yr, is this something I can request them to do? And I assume that means ACC calibration would be part of that process? Or can they still use the grille as an excuse to not give me an alignment?
Old 03-23-2019, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 329 Likes on 257 Posts

Your guess is as good as mine on that. If they have to align, then they should recalibrate the system. If you have an aftermarket grill, I'd suspect they would bill you for the calibration if it needed it though.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Came across this thread as I've been having issues with the pre-sense system in my 2018 S4. I've had the car for almost 4 months now and can no longer live with pre-sense slamming the brakes on me as I leave my house. I believe my issue is that I have a steep driveway (live in Los Angeles) and the sensors are detecting the street as an object I'm about to crash into as I back out of my driveway. It doesn't do it every time I back out, but enough times that I'm always stressed out it may happen. As you all know it's not a plesant experience. I get a sudden jolt and loud grinding sound that really upsets my kids (and me.) I've found how to disable it in the MMI, but who really wants to do that every time I jump in the car?

I finally have had enough and called the dealership service dept. My first call the service advisor blew me off and told me to call the 1-800 Audi number. I tried back for the service manager who listened to me and even told me a dealership employee with an RS5 has the same issue. They say they can't do anything at the dealership level. It seems to me if the system can be shut off manually then it could be coded to default to shut-off. I suppose there's a liability issue with that. I suggested that this was a defect, if the safety system stops my car when no threat is present then it doesn't work as designed....that to me is a defective system. The service manager scoffed at this. Anyway, I got the sense that they've heard this many times and nothing can be done about it at the dealership, and nothing will be done about it by Audi. I could raise a stink and try to get into a different car, but it sounds like all Audi's have pre-sense so a different car may have same results.

I'll keep updating here as the service manager is supposed to talk to me again tomorrow.

Anyone attempt to bring this up with Audi USA? (Not dealership)

Thanks

Quick Reply: Presense false activation