Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Presense false activation

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 Sportback. False activation w/hard slam on brakes

Originally Posted by BLNT
I have a '19 Q8. Sometime this summer, I was approaching an intersection (no cars, red light, and no cross traffic). I took my foot off the gas, turned on my left turn signal, and started to ease into the turn lane - going perhaps 35 mph, and a couple hundred feet from the intersection (long turn lane). All of a sudden red triangle, hard brakes, and skipped a couple of heartbeats !!

To a lesser degree I've experienced several other situations (probably with cruise on) where a vehicle on the side of the road sets things off - usually with a slight curve. Also, a few times on narrow winding roads TREES on curves will do the same.

While this is the most "advanced" vehicle I've owned - I'm looking forward to my next vehicle being a good bit "smarter"!!

I saw someone else mention the electronic parking brake -- I've had that somehow turn on perhaps 3 times. I felt quite confused not being able to move forward (first time was in a fast food drive thru lane) until I figured out that the parking brake had engaged. SCREWY !

As an aside... this has happened twice to me ... anyone had issues with (upon starting the vehicle) the infotainment system not loading up? My dash screen said something like "infotainment system initializing" and both the upper and lower center screens were totally dark... nothing! Not until I turn the vehicle off after a couple of minutes of looking at this in amazement and then restart does it load everything normally.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, to see if any solution is found - to any of this!

THANKS
Tonight was the 4th time my 2018 A5 Sportback w/7K on it, had a false activation, each time with a hard sudden full stop brake. 3 times in the forward position once in reverse. The 3 forward ones there were no other cars in front of me, no other cars behind me, nothing in the road. They would happen later in the evening were traffic in the Seattle area can be dead. I took to Audi after the first 3x (2 fwd, 1reverse), Audi kept it for two weeks, apparently they tested it every which way and of course couldn’t repeat the issue, they blamed the rain or a random leaf (BS). They reset all the sensors and I got the car back. For 6 months it worked well minus an incident with a flat where the sensors didn’t bother to go off at all...As I am driving home tonight, on a local road at 10pm, not a car behind me (thank god or I would have been rear-ended), not a car in front of me, no rain, no wind, no leaves, I was going 33 miles per hour and it slams on the breaks so violently that slam into the engaged seatbelt. It scared the living sh*t out of me and was painful. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving but first thing Friday it’s going back to Audi and I’m not climbing back in that car until they fix it. I do not feel safe in the car. I’ve owned an Audi for the last 22 years, I’ve been extremely loyal to my dealership, this is completely unacceptable. I am rattled and pissed off, this is the first time I’ve ever written on any forum but I really needed to know if it was just me experiencing this, both saddened and a bit relieved that it’s not just my car.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Q7 2019

I was sitting in my Audi Q7 2019 and all of a sudden my seatbelt went super tight around my body. It scared me pretty good since the car was in park, engine in idle turn off, and there was no one around me at all. It said on the display presense.

Everyones experiences with the braking in the middle of nowhere is happening. I have children in my car so this is absolutely concerning considering it’s such a high end car.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll add my false-positive tales to the heap.

2019 SQ5 Prestige

In almost a year I've had no times when presense activated and saved me from an incident. Both activations have been premature, unnecessary, and dangerous. I can remember at least one situation in which I wish presense had activated but didn't. I was making a right turn but a vehicle already on that road aborted a turn and kept coming.

The first false positive occurred when I was turning left on a 4-lane divided road with a median turn lane. I was stopped in the median to turn left, I believe with my turn signal on. When a break appeared in the oncoming traffic I hit the gas. Presense kicked in just as I got going and immediately stopped the car, luckily before I'd really gotten into the turn. As others have said, it was very disconcerting and scary. There was a sufficient opening such that I didn't really have to punch it to get through, and there was no risk of hitting oncoming traffic except if presense had stranded me in the turn.

The second occurred recently when following a vehicle that slowed down to turn right. Presense engaged and slammed on the brakes far more aggressively than was necessary. I was coasting and in no danger of hitting the vehicle in front of me. I was much more concerned about the vehicle behind me running into me because of the abrupt stop. My vehicle didn't actually come to a complete stop, but it was bothersome like the previous incident.

There's another "stop short" situation related to the adaptive cruise control. This was a limited-access highway that was recently completed and not yet fully mapped. With the cruise control on, my SQ5 would apply brakes to stop the vehicle right where the mapped road ended. It wasn't just slowing down, disengaging the cruise control, throwing a warning, or coasting. It actually applied brakes and, I believe, would have stopped if I didn't intervene. I replicated this after it happened the first time. I believe a workaround was to disable the sign recognition and/or adaptive cruise control, then later to update the map.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by atoner
I'll add my false-positive tales to the heap.

2019 SQ5 Prestige

In almost a year I've had no times when presense activated and saved me from an incident. Both activations have been premature, unnecessary, and dangerous. I can remember at least one situation in which I wish presense had activated but didn't. I was making a right turn but a vehicle already on that road aborted a turn and kept coming.

The first false positive occurred when I was turning left on a 4-lane divided road with a median turn lane. I was stopped in the median to turn left, I believe with my turn signal on. When a break appeared in the oncoming traffic I hit the gas. Presense kicked in just as I got going and immediately stopped the car, luckily before I'd really gotten into the turn. As others have said, it was very disconcerting and scary. There was a sufficient opening such that I didn't really have to punch it to get through, and there was no risk of hitting oncoming traffic except if presense had stranded me in the turn.

The second occurred recently when following a vehicle that slowed down to turn right. Presense engaged and slammed on the brakes far more aggressively than was necessary. I was coasting and in no danger of hitting the vehicle in front of me. I was much more concerned about the vehicle behind me running into me because of the abrupt stop. My vehicle didn't actually come to a complete stop, but it was bothersome like the previous incident.
That first instance seems like the left-turn glitch that seems to affect some, but not all.

The second instance, I I don't know that I would call it a false positive or a glitch. I have had similar circumstances, where I am coasting behind another car, I am at a [to me] safe distance, I am not applying the brakes, and at some point the car activates pre-sense. I give the car the benefit of the doubt, that it doesn't know that I am fully aware and on top of the situation. The car sees me coasting, and not applying the brakes, and coming up on another car. So it errs on the side of caution and applies the brakes for me at some point. I have learned that I simply can't coast as far as I want, and I apply the brakes in some fashion to show the car that I am paying attention and don't need the brakes applied for me. Just my .02 cents.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Both my Audi and Subaru have the issues if you approach a right turner too fast. It's annoying but I guess I'm used to it. Definitely have to adjust your driving style a bit to accommodate these new technologies that haven't actually saved my rear yet.

Maybe I'll think differently once it saves my rear once. Until then, I don't like them and bad news is they're becoming pretty much standard on all new cars.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffrey r
I give the car the benefit of the doubt, that it doesn't know that I am fully aware and on top of the situation. The car sees me coasting, and not applying the brakes, and coming up on another car. So it errs on the side of caution and applies the brakes for me at some point.
I get that the car sees a slowing car in front without me slowing down, and I also get that the system design errs on the side of caution. It seems like there's something not quite right in the acceleration, speed, and distance measurements, calculations, and reactions. It was like my SQ5 thought the car in front of me was rapidly decelerating, to the point we'd crash if my vehicle didn't slam on brakes. It overreacted to the point I was worried about the car behind me hitting me.

I want to emphasize that in the two cases when presense slammed on brakes, and even when the adaptive cruise control slowed at the end of the map segment, it actually created risks. With the car in front of me turning right, the driver behind me certainly wouldn't have expected me to slam on brakes. Now of course there's an argument the driver behind me would be at fault for following too closely if they hit me, but I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of a wreck or an argument if I "stopped short."

Old 02-21-2020, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a nightmare trying to street park this car on a busy road. Pre sense kept turning on and i could not park fast enough. I wish there was a button to turn it off.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Marissa Katrin
I was sitting in my Audi Q7 2019 and all of a sudden my seatbelt went super tight around my body. It scared me pretty good since the car was in park, engine in idle turn off, and there was no one around me at all. It said on the display presense.

Everyones experiences with the braking in the middle of nowhere is happening. I have children in my car so this is absolutely concerning considering it’s such a high end car.
That happened to me at a traffic light. I think a car came up fast behind me and it tighten my belt to prepare for a crash. It released the belt a few seconds later.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Too bad these cars don't just alert you with some bell thing rather than taking control of the car. Technology is good... but we should be able to turn it all off if we want as well.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My SQ5 allows shut-off via MMI; resets with ignition.

Quick Reply: Presense false activation