Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Q5 vs X3

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Test drove both, ended up buying a X3 m40i. It just drove better. They are *very* similar cars, and as others have said, neither is a wrong decision. The best part of the SQ5 was the amazing dash. The best part of the X3 was the way it drove. And after much deliberating, I realized I wanted a car that drove better.

My inner geek really wanted the SQ5 dash, but my outer "race car driver wannebee" loves the X3.

YMMV.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I currently drive a 2014 BMW X1 "xDrive35i" with 300hp/300lb-ft of torque, and this is my third BMW. That said, were I buying today, I'd go for the Q5 or a Porsche Macan (used with <10K miles is ~$55K optioned the way I want). For me the design language of the Q5 and the Macan are just much more compelling and coherent. The X3 has lots of edges and flares, but doesn't hold together as well to me. And on the interior, there's a piece of trim that extends over to the passenger side that looks outright strange and unfinished to me. The Audi interior is just brilliant!

That said, the X3 is an amazing vehicle, and you really can't go wrong. I had a 2006 BMW X3 3.0i M-sport *manual* for ten years and just loved it.

James
Seattle, WA
Old 05-23-2019, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I plan to test drive them back to back this weekend and make a decision.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Test drove an X3 m sport edition loaded

Originally Posted by msujohn
I plan to test drive them back to back this weekend and make a decision.
I just did a test drive of a m sport version. Not the M40, just the regular 4 cylinder with all m sport packages. Did this because the wife’s basic Q5 lease will expire in 12 months or so and am doing some research on the BMW. The unit I tested must have had all the bells and whistles as it list for 68000 plus delivery of 2100 plus taxes of 13%. Yikes.

Of course that’s before any negotiations, but still, thats a lot of coin for any car here in Canada. And it’s not even a true M class X3!

my comments in addition to the sticker shock are pretty much what everyone else has observed. It did feel like a little tank, solid and heavier steering weight, etc. Drove well, very planted feeling on highway. The dash is okay with nice little amenities that people like to play with, but cost a few bucks if you like all that stuff.

One thing I did notice with the 4 cylinder was it was not as fast as the Q5. The transmission felt a bit lazy to shift even in their sport mode, whilst the DSG on the Audi was spot on with rapid smooth shifts and good pulling power. I estimate that 0-60 times would be about a second or more slower even in their sport mode. Our little basic Q5 shoves you back in the seat even in Auto mode, the X3 not so much. That lack of performance and the price of BMW OPTIONS makes me feel the Q5 is a better buy., and would not prefer it over our present Q5. My two cents.

cheers, YMMV.

Last edited by Jcampbell3; 05-26-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ended up buying the Q5 today. After test driving the Q5 and X3, I just loved the interior of the Q5 and it made the decision easier.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jcampbell3
I just did a test drive of a m sport version. Not the M40, just the regular 4 cylinder with all m sport packages. Did this because the wife’s basic Q5 lease will expire in 12 months or so and am doing some research on the BMW. The unit I tested must have had all the bells and whistles as it list for 68000 plus delivery of 2100 plus taxes of 13%. Yikes.

Of course that’s before any negotiations, but still, thats a lot of coin for any car here in Canada. And it’s not even a true M class X3!

my comments in addition to the sticker shock are pretty much what everyone else has observed. It did feel like a little tank, solid and heavier steering weight, etc. Drove well, very planted feeling on highway. The dash is okay with nice little amenities that people like to play with, but cost a few bucks if you like all that stuff.

One thing I did notice with the 4 cylinder was it was not as fast as the Q5. The transmission felt a bit lazy to shift even in their sport mode, whilst the DSG on the Audi was spot on with rapid smooth shifts and good pulling power. I estimate that 0-60 times would be about a second or more slower even in their sport mode. Our little basic Q5 shoves you back in the seat even in Auto mode, the X3 not so much. That lack of performance and the price of BMW OPTIONS makes me feel the Q5 is a better buy., and would not prefer it over our present Q5. My two cents.

cheers, YMMV.
One of the reasons we chose the Q5 a couple of years ago over the X3 and the GLC was that it provided the best bang for the buck of the three. I have no regrets as I find the build quality and comfort outstanding, and the transmission is smooth and responsive. Now we are looking for a replacement for our 2012 X1 and thinking of the new X4 (essentially the X3), and I have been pricing them out. The Q5 still comes out the better deal, but my wife likes the responsiveness and feel of the X1 so wants to stay with BMW. It is easily $10k CDN more than we paid for the Q5, but as long as she is happy. I am looking forward to test driving it this summer as that will confirm the decision.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 392 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by pgi007
One of the reasons we chose the Q5 a couple of years ago over the X3 and the GLC was that it provided the best bang for the buck of the three. I have no regrets as I find the build quality and comfort outstanding, and the transmission is smooth and responsive. Now we are looking for a replacement for our 2012 X1 and thinking of the new X4 (essentially the X3), and I have been pricing them out. The Q5 still comes out the better deal, but my wife likes the responsiveness and feel of the X1 so wants to stay with BMW. It is easily $10k CDN more than we paid for the Q5, but as long as she is happy. I am looking forward to test driving it this summer as that will confirm the decision.
For the extra $10k, have you / she considered the sq5?
Old 05-28-2019, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spindlewood
For the extra $10k, have you / she considered the sq5?
I would love an SQ5, but another Audi is not an option in this case. While I like the Q5, she prefers the X1 so she wants to replace it with another BMW. As it is going to be her car, her driving preference prevails. She is also not really a driving enthusiast, so we will not spend more for sportiness. The only things from the Q5 she wants in the new car are the comfort access and power tailgate, the latter standard in the X4 but the former requires the essential package for another $3500. Leather seats are also a $1500 upgrade, but they come with sport seats as standard at least. I drove the X1 today, and I really notice the difference. The Q5 is just more of a luxury SUV in every way, but to be fair our X1 is a no frills 2012 model with minimal tech and hydraulic steering. I suspect she will be surprised when testing the new models which likely feel closer to the Q5.