Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Q5e Electrical System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Unplug 2020
I'm the OP. I decided to contact Audi USA, since my 12 month anniversary is coming up later in July and I was in a speak now or forever hold your peace situation. I did not go through the dealer, but direct to the customer service number at Audi. They opened a case and told me that they have an entire department dedicated to reviewing these types of claims. I received and email with a claim number and a request for all kinds of documentation - everything from my purchase agreement to my DL and registration to a record of my note payments. I sent everything in to them the following day, received confirmation, and was told that I would have a response within 15 business days. All in all, it was relatively easy.

Today I received a response (14 calendar days later). My options are either to 1) return the Q5e and I would basically get all of my money back, less a charge for mileage. In addition, they will provide an incentive on another VW / Audi vehicle should I decide to purchase another one, but I start the purchase process over from the beginning. Option 2) a cash sum to compensate me for the troubles, but I keep the Q5e with the current note and warranty remaining in place as if nothing happened.

Now I have a dilemma. Given the supply chain problems, do I try to get a new vehicle now? Dealer lots and inventory here are very, very slim pickings. Or do I roll the dice, take the cash offer and wait for the inventory situation to improve and then look for another vehicle. In another thread someone posted that a software fix would be available Q1 of 2022, if that truly fixes the problem.

Decisions, decisions.
I hear you! It's a hard decision. Normally with this amount of trouble, 1 would be a good option, but as you said the new car inventory everywhere is so thin, it's a very bad time to buy a new car right now. How good is the cash offer? If it's decent, try to hold on and upgrade later when the new car inventory is better.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I just went through this process for a lemon A6. I got the trade on my A6 and they gave me a pretty decent discount on a q5e. Did it in a day and I was also concerned about inventory. Got the exact car I wanted, cost me a little money but it's done.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:10 AM
Audi Q5e Driver

Received 192 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm the OP. I decided to contact Audi USA, since my 12 month anniversary is coming up later in July and I was in a speak now or forever hold your peace situation. I did not go through the dealer, but direct to the customer service number at Audi. They opened a case and told me that they have an entire department dedicated to reviewing these types of claims. I received and email with a claim number and a request for all kinds of documentation - everything from my purchase agreement to my DL and registration to a record of my note payments. I sent everything in to them the following day, received confirmation, and was told that I would have a response within 15 business days. All in all, it was relatively easy.

Today I received a response (14 calendar days later). My options are either to 1) return the Q5e and I would basically get all of my money back, less a charge for mileage. In addition, they will provide an incentive on another VW / Audi vehicle should I decide to purchase another one, but I start the purchase process over from the beginning. Option 2) a cash sum to compensate me for the troubles, but I keep the Q5e with the current note and warranty remaining in place as if nothing happened.

Now I have a dilemma. Given the supply chain problems, do I try to get a new vehicle now? Dealer lots and inventory here are very, very slim pickings. Or do I roll the dice, take the cash offer and wait for the inventory situation to improve and then look for another vehicle. In another thread someone posted that a software fix would be available Q1 of 2022, if that truly fixes the problem.

Decisions, decisions.
That's a tough one, did they say how long the incentive for a new vehicle would be good for, and how good an incentive?

I've got a 2020 Q5e with just over 3K miles and so far no issue, fingers crossed. But if I were in your situation, I'd take the refund, and then do an order for a 2022 Q5e with the bigger battery (I can make do for a long while with one car in the household given our hybrid WFH situation going forward).

Good luck with your choice! Frustrating to have such a cool machine like the Q5e have this kind of issue and a long wait for the fix.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decisions, decisions.
Get a few quotes for your Q5e from carmax (through edmunds), carvana, vroom... If this number + cash compensation is higher than the buyback, you know what to do...
Old 10-10-2022, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It has now happened to me a second time. My car flashed the electrical system malfunction message and then just stopped immediately. Can’t move it at all. Waiting for a tow truck to pick me up now. Luckily, this time was on a side city street. The first time was on the interstate. I haven’t even had my car 18 months but already have 26k miles on it (40% of which are electrical drivetrain). I’m going to talk with my dealer in the morning, but definitely not happy. The way the vehicle has stopped both times without warning is completely unsafe.

What customer service phone number did you use to call Audi?
Old 10-10-2022, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks.. i have 18k on mine now and almost all electric. I don't recall the phone number-- just gave the local audi dealer an earful. I like the car when it works but thinking I am gonna dump it around the 50-60K mile mark. Please let me know what they find out.. they replaced some hybrid batter modules in mine last time it was in-- been working good since then.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

My dealer is still trying to diagnose the issue with my car today. I called the NHSTA to file a vehicle safety complaint due to this happening twice already. I also called Audi customer service. They ended up emailing me the buy back request documentation and process. I need to compile a few documents and email them in. They then have 30 days to review. I’ll update as I hear more from the dealer.

If the vehicle didn’t come to an immediate stop, I wouldn’t be as worried. Just could be a dangerous situation if it happened on the highway, etc.
The following users liked this post:
ivyvy (10-16-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IAHawk1012
My dealer is still trying to diagnose the issue with my car today. I called the NHSTA to file a vehicle safety complaint due to this happening twice already. I also called Audi customer service. They ended up emailing me the buy back request documentation and process. I need to compile a few documents and email them in. They then have 30 days to review. I’ll update as I hear more from the dealer.

If the vehicle didn’t come to an immediate stop, I wouldn’t be as worried. Just could be a dangerous situation if it happened on the highway, etc.
How much do you lose in doing the buyback? How long have you had the car/did you buy new?
Old 10-11-2022, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don’t know yet. Just submitted the paperwork tonight. I bought new 18 months ago. They have 20 business days to make a decision.
Old 10-17-2022, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

One week later. My vehicle still hasn’t been worked on. No update from my dealer nor Audi.

Quick Reply: Q5e Electrical System Malfunction