Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Q5e Prestige Stealth Hitch Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 04:39 PM
Audi Q5e Driver

Received 192 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Q5e Prestige Stealth Hitch Install

Wow, I finally got up the nerve and did the Stealth Hitch install today. I took my time, and was very careful, as I have a loaded prestige so there are sensors all over the place. I did not unplug the bumper, wiring, just was very careful and made sure it was well supported to avoid any major stress on the wires while I installed the hitch. Very happy with the look! I did not do any wiring as I'm only planning to use this for accessories like my bike rack and rear cargo tray. Maybe if a official Audi wiring kit becomes available I'll take another look at the full wiring for trailer, but not holding my breath for that. For now I'm good, and now my Audi is complete.

If you want full instructions on the the process here is the link below. But I found an error in the instructions. Instead of a T40 Torx, you need a T30 Torx, this is to remove the cargo floor which they don't make clear in the instructions (I'll email them and let them know they need to update that). I would also recommend using a razor blade knife to cut through the trim instead of a dremel, the dremel just melts the plastic, while the razor knife leaves a clean cut. Otherwise smooth, but nervous ~3 hour install (it's my new toy, not easy taking it apart...).
(PDF) https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/21...f?v=1617305695

The 12V (near seats), 14.1KwH Main Battery (big silver box) and B&O Sub next to the rear sill, all under the load floor.

Bumper trim off, lots of wires, and the crash bumper stock.

Bumper trim off, Stealth Hitch bar install under original bumper (but cross bar doesn't return)

Everything back together, hard to notice the cut-out for the hitch.

And same view, but with the receiver locked in. Still looks good.

Last edited by dcaf; 07-17-2021 at 06:43 PM. Reason: updating PDF link
The following 5 users liked this post by dcaf:
aclass (01-04-2021), dreadlocks (05-31-2020), Sandroad (05-31-2020), Tris (08-13-2021), w0rmy (06-01-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 341 Likes on 253 Posts

Very cool. Nice to have pics of the battery too. I really like the Stealth Hitch and its disappearing act without the drawbar receiver installed.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:07 PM
Audi Q5e Driver

Yeah, it's not the cheapest option out there, but I do love the clean look when I don't need the receiver installed. When it is installed it's rock solid, no wiggle that I could get out of it.
The following users liked this post:
audgrad (06-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2020, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@dcaf very cool and helpful description. Do you own? Or lease? Would you be worried about this sort of alteration affecting warranty at all? I'm looking into doing the same, but I lease, so it might be riskier (although probably worth it).
Old 07-24-2020, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice work dcaf! really enjoy my stealth hitch
Old 07-24-2020, 07:07 PM
Audi Q5e Driver

Originally Posted by joeindisguise
@dcaf very cool and helpful description. Do you own? Or lease? Would you be worried about this sort of alteration affecting warranty at all? I'm looking into doing the same, but I lease, so it might be riskier (although probably worth it).
I own, and no, not concerned with warranty. I was careful and there was nothing that should affect warranty coverage. It's always possible they try, but they would have to be pretty desperate and not care about future sales.

Lease might be a little different since you have to cut a hole in the plastic bumper trim, assuming you don't have one of the bumper styles that already have the hole for a future hitch.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:09 PM
Audi Q5e Driver

Originally Posted by aclass
Nice work dcaf! really enjoy my stealth hitch
Thanks, I'm really happy with it as well, looks good and helps out a lot with the cargo carrier or the 4 bike hitch rack!
Old 12-21-2020, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

While the OEM hitch is now possible on the 2021 Q5e, it seems to be very cost prohibitive if not installed before delivery. The hitch itself is about the same as the stealth hitch ($855 list, $650 with discounts) but the dealers quote about 6 hours to install which adds another $1000 to the project. Looking at the Q5e there seems to be no easy way to get to the holes in frame to screw the OEM hitch on.

While I would love to get the OEM hitch, the stealth hitch seems to be a very competitive alternative, especially since its only for a bike rack or storage bin.

How happy are you after half a year now? Any issue with corrosion and getting the receiver in and out?
Old 12-22-2020, 06:26 PM
Audi Q5e Driver

Still very pleased with it. Forget it's back there really. I've only used it a couple of times for the bike rack this year since we've been limiting travel/trips, but works with no issue each time.

Old 01-04-2021, 07:03 AM
Audi Q5e Driver

Note to those with 2020 Q5e's considering wiring, did some research and checking around in the car and the 2020 Q5e does NOT have the necessary pre-wiring to allow plug and play install of the Audi wiring harness. If you were to go with an aftermarket trailer hitch and against Audi's wishes you're looking at an after market wiring harness as well.

Quick Reply: Q5e Prestige Stealth Hitch Install