Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Rodents ate wires in my 2018 Q5!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something (I always assumed it was squirrels) did a number on the wiring of my 1985 Crx Si when it was about a year old. To this day when I see a squirrel I start feeling like Bill Murray in Caddyshack.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I had a squirrel chew through the high pressure fuel line on my truckonce. Started the engine and fuel sprayed all over the engine compartment. I know it was him because he ran out from under the hood when I unlocked the door. Service manager said he had seen it before.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:13 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello from Rid-A-Rat!
Are you having issues with rats chewing on your expensive wires?? We have a solution for that very problem. We have created a device which after being installed, will keep any kind of chewing critter out of your engine area. You simply read the directions and install!
The product is guaranteed money back with no questions asked! Why not give us a call- 480-488-6820 or check out our web page at Rid-A-Rat.com.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

Your car insurance should pay for this.

Last edited by ribeye; 10-18-2018 at 03:28 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 10-18-2018, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

The reason is is a manufacturers fault is because they make the wire coatings are soy based. Some of the car manufactures have a real big problem with this. Others no problem at all. There is a lot of info on this on the internet.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Go find the reviews on Amazon - it is not effective enough to rely upon. Money back guarantee will get you your $40 back - but not the thousands to fix it.

I have rodent traps in the garage (2 rat, 3 mice) and a part-time dog (actually she's a full time dog but part-time resident in the garage). Cats would be even better but mine are indoor. We started the traps ten years ago after both my wife and I both had nests. Not had one since - except a dozen or so mice per year caught in the traps. Oh, and I keep my fingers crossed and say regular prayers.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AT1
Had it for just 2 weeks. All the lights came up today. Took it to the dealer, the service department discovered disconnected wires behind the right rear tire. I was told this was not covered under warranty/package.

I live in downtown area in a city and some stupid rats/raccoons/whatever cost me big bucks because they ate the wires? How ridiculous is that!!! Are the wires made from some type of food???

I'm still waiting for the estimate of the cost. Won't be cheap for sure.
I cringed when I read your post @AT1
I'm sure any one of us would be furious if it happened to us.
Hopefully the repair is not that costly and you can get it fixed quickly.
The whole situation must be very frustrating for you.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

This thread was from a year ago. Maybe @AT1 will reply with an update.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It's more than the compound and may be any kind of rodent tree squirrel's are the worst around here. There are a lot of reasons but it gets worse in the fall during nesting season. Teeth sharpening, nesting, diet lots of reasons. They will take a bite out of anything. Fabric or plastic is fair game for nest building. My brother had racoons eat 2' of the 4" ABS roof vent off when he fixed a roof vent apparently trapping the babies inside the attic.
They also chew on sprinkler heads, power lines, cable lines, and will chew on homes trying gain access. People that cover their outdoor AC/Heat Pump may find a nest in the spring and all the wires destroyed. If you have to park outside overnight you are at risk. I bait my garage in the fall also.
​​​​​​
Old 10-19-2018, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Like Ron S. said.

Rodents will eat ANYTHING. It has nothing to do with soy. They will chew through plastics, foam, copper, wood, anything. Their teeth perpetual grow, so they need to chew on things to wear them down. During nesting time (which is quite frequently for rodents), they will chew up anything to build a nest.

Living on a farm, the most successful deterrent was urinal pucks. We used the "cherry" scented ones in our combines and grain trucks. No issues once we did that.

Quick Reply: Rodents ate wires in my 2018 Q5!!!