Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

SQ5 - Does the brakes grunt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Vancouver, BC w/ a 2018 SQ5 Technik, FULLY loaded. Wow, you can really put a lot of info in here!
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How much time have you spent driving the Urus and the Bentayga? And when did a 250k ute become a comparable?

This vehicle makes less brake noise than any BMW or AMG I have owned.

I will be curious to know the results of your dealer visit next week. Either a) you have something wrong and it is fixable or b) your vehicle makes noise like mine "makes noise", in which case the complaining you are doing is completely disproportionate.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuirelly5
This pic says it all. Tell me again about poor engineering, cos it makes a little noise now and then. If anything, the brakes may be the BEST part of this vehicle.
This car stops faster than an RS3 despite weighing about 800 lbs more.

I heard the XT5 is a very quiet braker though. Lovely.

XT5 may be a quiet braker but you'll get random rattles and sounds of the transmission, suspension, engine, and everything else failing from this pile o'crap GM product.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuirelly5
How much time have you spent driving the Urus and the Bentayga? And when did a 250k ute become a comparable?

This vehicle makes less brake noise than any BMW or AMG I have owned.

I will be curious to know the results of your dealer visit next week. Either a) you have something wrong and it is fixable or b) your vehicle makes noise like mine "makes noise", in which case the complaining you are doing is completely disproportionate.

you are correct, I’m not comparing vehicles just staying that there are better preforming brakes that don’t make noise.

And for the people that misread what I’m saying read carefully

Performance doesn’t mean/require noise.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 327 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by KaDeTime

And for the people that misread what I’m saying read carefully

Performance doesn’t mean/require noise.
This is where your so called "mechanical engineering degree and certifications" are failing you. We have performance brakes that can stop the SQ5 in inches when moving at slow speeds and cold pads (obviously you missed those 3rd and 4th year physics, thermodynamics and heat transfer classes). It's not dragging a 3000# supercar from 200MPH to zero.

In order to get it to instantly stop a 4400# vehicle to prevent it from backing over someone walking by, the pads need to grip instantly (hence the groan at basically zero speeds). Dealer is going to tell you this is what it is, and you'll be all p*ssed off since they don't agree with you.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wires
This is where your so called "mechanical engineering degree and certifications" are failing you. We have performance brakes that can stop the SQ5 in inches when moving at slow speeds and cold pads (obviously you missed those 3rd and 4th year physics, thermodynamics and heat transfer classes). It's not dragging a 3000# supercar from 200MPH to zero.

In order to get it to instantly stop a 4400# vehicle to prevent it from backing over someone walking by, the pads need to grip instantly (hence the groan at basically zero speeds). Dealer is going to tell you this is what it is, and you'll be all p*ssed off since they don't agree with you.

wires we we are just going in circles. You tell me that the noise is required as the performance of the brakes can’t be delivered without it. Me and others gave you exempols of other vehicle that don’t make noise with better preference like Bentley but you still write the same. That is the only thing you have and you don’t undress any other points I made. I’m still waiting for you to tell us what is your knowledge and training on the subject? Let me guess Google or YouTube?

If you keep stating that performance is only available with brake noise you are 100% wrong!!!!
Old 07-14-2018, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Because the brakes on a Urus cost 5 figures
Old 07-14-2018, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NeedMoreHP
Because the brakes on a Urus cost 5 figures

You are correct but you all forgetting how this subject started.

i wrote that the brakes make noise and this is a result of cost savings by Audi.

Then Wires states that you can’t have performance breaks without noise. And that this are the best breaks and we need to live with the noise as there is no other option for quiet brakes for this performance.

the only point I’m trying to make is that you don’t need noise just because you want performance .

Why is is this so hard to understand?
Old 07-14-2018, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Do everyone a favor and spend some time reading up on brakes. They have one purpose: stop the vehicle by converting kinetic energy into heat, light and sound. Performance is a balancing act.

You keep quoting "cost savings from Audi". But when presented with hard data showing our bloated SQ5 will out brake sports cars, that gets tossed aside with you quoting $250k luxury vehicles having quiet performance braking. Have you driven a $250k Bentley with carbon ceramic brakes (brakes which probably cost 50% of what your pimped out Volkswagon -- that's what an Audi is, costs?). Or a lambo? I'm guess no.....

My credentials? I've practiced actual engineering for 25+ years. But really, this is more about "living in the real world" with a smidge of life smarts.....
Old 07-14-2018, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wires
Do everyone a favor and spend some time reading up on brakes. They have one purpose: stop the vehicle by converting kinetic energy into heat, light and sound. Performance is a balancing act.

You keep quoting "cost savings from Audi". But when presented with hard data showing our bloated SQ5 will out brake sports cars, that gets tossed aside with you quoting $250k luxury vehicles having quiet performance braking. Have you driven a $250k Bentley with carbon ceramic brakes (brakes which probably cost 50% of what your pimped out Volkswagon -- that's what an Audi is, costs?). Or a lambo? I'm guess no.....

My credentials? I've practiced actual engineering for 25+ years. But really, this is more about "living in the real world" with a smidge of life smarts.....

wires yes it will out brake the cars in it’s segment I never question that . But you never address my only statement/question that is directed at you,

do you think that performance braking requires noise?

I guess you are one on the performance at all cost side, when I’m at the balance side just like many others that start the posts about brake noise. I would sacrifice the stopping performance for the noise.

Going to disregard the BS about “practicing Engineering “ as I also practice professionally cooking, driving, computer science and 100 other things when I would speak like you.

Keep calling a Audi a pimp our VW what do you think Lamborghini is then same own by VW ! You’re “life knowledge “ is half sided to fit in ur small little world

Last edited by KaDeTime; 07-14-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

In fairness, this thread was started because the OP went out for a test drive and noticed the "grunt" noise when coasting at sub-MPH speeds riding the brakes. You had the opportunity to ask that same question during your test drive, and if it bothered you, there are a lot of other companies that can supply excellent vehicles as well, and would be just as willing to take your money.

You keep saying "performance braking". That's insanely subjective. Our performance brakes grip at zero speed and cold, a lambo will need to be brought up to temperature to get similar grip levels. A lot of performance vehicles have noisy brakes, and it is the trade-off.

Is lambo owned by VW? Yup. Does it share ANY of the VM platforms, NOPE. Different ride my friend.

Quick Reply: SQ5 - Does the brakes grunt?