Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

SQ5 holding onto 2nd gear going down my driveway

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts
Default SQ5 holding onto 2nd gear going down my driveway

This winter my SQ5 has started holding onto 2nd gear going down my driveway. This is right after I start the car.

It will stay in 2nd up to 2000 rpm. It didn't used to do this and I'm wondering what could cause it to change its pattern. Would detecting snow on the ground have any impact? Being really cold?

I've been manually hitting the gear paddle to go into 3rd but I shouldn't have to. I've got the JB4 installed but it's been installed for months. I'll try Map 0 tomorrow to bypass it but don't expect this will change anything. Anyone else see this kind of thing?
Old 02-11-2019, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by spindlewood
This winter my SQ5 has started holding onto 2nd gear going down my driveway. This is right after I start the car.

It will stay in 2nd up to 2000 rpm. It didn't used to do this and I'm wondering what could cause it to change its pattern. Would detecting snow on the ground have any impact? Being really cold?

I've been manually hitting the gear paddle to go into 3rd but I shouldn't have to. I've got the JB4 installed but it's been installed for months. I'll try Map 0 tomorrow to bypass it but don't expect this will change anything. Anyone else see this kind of thing?
Are you sure you're using the same drive mode as before? This behavior would be normal in the allroad setting. I used to own a 2002 allroad, and that was programmed to hold on to gears to give it more of a feel like driving a standard shift. Now that my beloved allroad is gone, I was pleasantly surprised to find a piece of it in my SQ5, because when I select the allroad drive mode, I recognize a very similar behavior with the transmission where it holds gears just like you describe. Kind of cool because it feels like my old car.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 99 Posts

I bet it is a tilt sensor for downhill transmission hold. I've noticed this happening when going down hills at a certain angle. Just like it will hold the gear when going up a steep hill.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spindlewood

My 2018 SQ5 is doing the same thing, it seemed to coincide with a drop in temperature, with no snow on the ground.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011IbisS4
My 2018 SQ5 is doing the same thing, it seemed to coincide with a drop in temperature, with no snow on the ground.
That and warm up the engine more.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2011IbisS4
I also believe it's because of the cold based on timing. Higher RPM is worse for the engine when it is cold - so you think they'd program it to keep RPM down when it is cold.

Originally Posted by edwyun
That and warm up the engine more.
Warming up the engine is bad for it. But even if it weren't why would it help? How does a warm engine affect gear changes?

The car is garaged, so it isn't really all that cold. This week is an exception with 0*F outside temps and freezing temps in the garage - but usually it's around 40*F in the garage in the winter).
Old 02-13-2019, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Not sure if Audi does this, but my previous GM vehicles would hold the gears longer to keep the revs up to get the cats heated to operating temp faster, Once the engine gets warmer, it stopped doing this (what edwyun is implying).
Old 02-13-2019, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Benzie
Are you sure you're using the same drive mode as before?
Yes same drive mode.

Originally Posted by Weebl
I bet it is a tilt sensor for downhill transmission hold. I've noticed this happening when going down hills at a certain angle. Just like it will hold the gear when going up a steep hill.
It just started with the cold weather so it would have to be in combination with other factors.

Originally Posted by Wires
Not sure if Audi does this, but my previous GM vehicles would hold the gears longer to keep the revs up to get the cats heated to operating temp faster, Once the engine gets warmer, it stopped doing this (what edwyun is implying).
Interesting thought.

I would have done more testing to see if it is warm up related, but we just got over a foot of snow and plowing took priority. I'll update when I test it warm.