Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 09:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 opinion after 2 weeks

Dirty car

Hard plastic

Almost two weeks driving the SQ5 now.

The change from dynamic to comfort mode is a blast, being able to hear and feel the change from more agressive to totally relaxed is something I am doing and enjoying every day.

Daytona grey/grey inside and carbon insert

In love with my choice, the pearl effect makes a big difference and people are noticing, it is also pretty good when the car is dirty. My wife convinced me about the grey inside and what a good choice, it makes the interior blacks pop out more and since I take my dog to work, the paw marks are less visible than on black. Carbon insert makes the inside really special day and night.

Alcantara/suede like material on the side door is really cool. I think the soft/hard plastic on the dashboard and sides is acceptable (would have prefer leather) but yes the hard plastic on the side of the seats bothers me when I see it (not often).

Overall everyone getting in the car is pretty impressed, even more at night with the different colour lights highlighting the car interior details.

Sound system is very good for the price, I have Naim Audio system at home and while of course you can't compare, I am happy with the B&O on the road.

Still dislike the little turbo lag but can live with it.
Steering is good, not sports car dynamic but solid.

CarPlay not always reliable, sometimes comes in and out or sometimes I don't see anymore the map on the dash (from the audi GPS) and see just a compass and sometimes I see the map.

The virtual cockpit is cool but you forget about quickly, it doesn't put a smile on your face every time like some other features like for instance the chrome buttons for the AC and the way they react to touch.

Kick under the car to open the trunk is a 70% success rate...

Top view is awesome and the pre-sense is useful

Big sideway mirrors is a plus and increase overall visibility in the car which is already good.

Can't talk yet about audi connect or app to start the car because it still needs to be activated.

Seats, besides the colour, they are firm but comfortable, the diamond stitching is giving them a really luxurious feel, leather is almost private jet seats smooth

Big panoramic sunroof opens up the car so much from the back seats POV

To make it perfect or close to it:

- less turbo lag
- more precise steering wheel
- some hard plastic replaced
- slight redesign of the back of the car (still prefer the coupe style of GLC and X4 or the Macan)

Overall still love it!

PS: from time to time I feel a little metallic rattle under the foot when I accelerate

Last edited by AT1967; 07-27-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I ditched the Car Play -- I like the full MMI and OEM Nav much better than the Apple stuff. I tether my 6S to the car with a black (not white) cable I bought from Amazon (I bought a gray one, too for any passenger who might like to get a recharge.)

We keep the engine/trans in Auto, but my wife ALWAYS shifts it to S, and basically the other settings are also kept in Dynamic except the exhaust sound with we keep in Comfort, but then when we want to be a bit more sporty, we simply select full Dynamic mode and that's that. Rear end burp/fart sound and all.

In S mode, there is no turbo lag, probably because the revs are 200+ rpm higher; then, when we take long Interstate trips, we shift back to D for GREAT gas mileage now that we have 2500 miles on it. This was a major step up from the 2014 SQ5 Prestige.

I think basically my wife just sets hers all the time to S from the moment she pulls out of the driveway -- I do the same on my '18 S4.

We're Matador red w/Rotor Gray Napa, cold weather, summer tires and Prestige (of course). She didn't want the DAP, but sometimes I think she's impressed with it on my S4. She loves my massaging seats -- wonders why not on an SQ5; I wonder the same thing.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 07-27-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AT1967
PS: from time to time I feel a little metallic rattle under the foot when I accelerate
Do you feel the metallic rattle when hitting 25mph for the first time after starting the car? Apparently, that's some braking system self-test. Or, is it at other times?
Old 07-27-2017, 12:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Interesting... I'll check and report back
Old 07-27-2017, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the report! Are the rubber floor mats OEM or aftermarket? It looks like those mats won't hold too much water from melting snow.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

OEM, they came with the car. I agree with you on that, I will get the weathertech soon. Especially with the snow we get here in Montreal...
Old 07-27-2017, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

OEM, they came with the car. I agree with you on that, I will get the weathertech soon. Especially with the snow we get here in Montreal...
Another floor mat you might want to take a look at is the 3D Maxpider Kagu Floor Mats. I have them in my 2017 Q5 and IMO really seem to better match the refined interior of the Q5.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by paperbridge
Do you feel the metallic rattle when hitting 25mph for the first time after starting the car? Apparently, that's some braking system self-test. Or, is it at other times?
Paperbridge, yes almost each time once and just at 25miles/h/40km/h. Where did you get that info?
Old 07-30-2017, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Paperbridge, yes almost each time once and just at 25miles/h/40km/h. Where did you get that info?
There are lots of threads on this forum about it (it happens in other models as well).

Here's an example:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...rt-up-2915475/

You can find a ton of threads on this if you search for it.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Was that the audi guard protection kit that gets you the rubber SQ mats?