Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

SQ5 Transmission Behavior

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a new 2018 SQ5 owner and this is one of the first things I noticed about the car - a noticeable "dead pedal" feeling when accelerating quickly from a dead stop. It is most evident in "D" Comfort mode - "S" and Dynamic (with Start/Stop OFF) do seem to help a bit - but not 100%. This is my first Audi (coming from a Acura MDX) and it is a bit concerning. Aside from this issue, the car is great.

As others have mentioned on this thread, it is not "turbo lag" - the throttle just does not respond like it should (even if I mash the pedal from the git-go). I have a service appt at the dealer this week for them to take a look at it. It feels like a throttle/transmission programming issue to me, so hopefully it is something that could be corrected with a software update/tweak.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Now that you mention it, when I did my test drive I felt what I assumed to be hill assist from a stop. After than I felt it a few more times, the impression that the brakes were activating from a stop and slight delay in "letting go" of the throttle.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ron.S
Mine does it too, I think it’s part of the Fuel, Transmission map. In Dynamic it’s a fire breather so I assume it’s the normal program trying to be smooth and avoid lurching. If you ease into it and then give it full throttle it accelerates quickly. It’s easy to change to Dynamic if you feel rambunctious. On the other hand it could create a safety issue if you were in a hurry to avoid an accident. It took me a few weeks to adjust to it and now I hardly notice.
In doing additional research on this "lag", I came across a number of other threads in the forums on other model Audis (and really, any car with drive-by-wire that "adapts" to the driver seems to be affected). Some of those folks saw improvements by performing a "throttle body adjustment" or reset of some kind.

The general procedure was something like this:

1) Press start button into accessory mode(do not start car)
2) Press throttle pedal all the way down for at least 5 seconds
3) While holding throttle pedal down, press start button to turn off car
4) Release throttle after holding for a couple more seconds
5) You should hear the system clicking and resetting.

I've tried this, and while I do hear some whirring and clicking from the throttle body, I also hear the same noises when I just turn on the car (without starting it), then within a few seconds turn the car back off again. So I am not sure the procedure is really doing anything. I will see if it affects the actual pedal/throttle response later today.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I may give that reset a try after I'm through my break in, which should be soon. To me, it seems that the real dip comes in just after the first shift (from first to second or second to third). Since I don't have the gear indicator while in D, I'm not sure if the car is starting out in second, so I'm not 100% sure which gear it goes into that really causes that big dip in power. After that first shift, things are much more linear and don't have the same major dip in power.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RossG
I may give that reset a try after I'm through my break in, which should be soon. To me, it seems that the real dip comes in just after the first shift (from first to second or second to third). Since I don't have the gear indicator while in D, I'm not sure if the car is starting out in second, so I'm not 100% sure which gear it goes into that really causes that big dip in power. After that first shift, things are much more linear and don't have the same major dip in power.
. Other than what seems to be a hint of turbo lag, I haven’t noticed any problems, like I mentioned earlier I have the engine and acceleration set to dynamic. The car seems to go after that initial 0.5 second. But I’ve only had the sq since Wednesday, so I’ll continue to monitor. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RossG
It may just be the placebo affect, but the issue seems to have gone away after I did the above mentioned throttle body reset. I have been mostly driving in "D" Individual or "S" Individual. I will try "D" Comfort today and see if the problem persists. I do notice a bit more pedal travel than I think is needed when rolling at low speeds to initiate a downshift. This may just be because the 8-speed ZF SQ5 transmission has more gears than I am used to (coming from various 6-speed autos). I also swear that the first time I did the "reset" procedure, the orange blind spot indicators on the mirrors flashed a few times, which never occurred on subsequent attempts (but I did not drive the car afterwards - so maybe it can only be done once until the car is driven?).
Old 10-16-2017, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sq5tul
In doing additional research on this "lag", I came across a number of other threads in the forums on other model Audis (and really, any car with drive-by-wire that "adapts" to the driver seems to be affected). Some of those folks saw improvements by performing a "throttle body adjustment" or reset of some kind.

The general procedure was something like this:

1) Press start button into accessory mode(do not start car)
2) Press throttle pedal all the way down for at least 5 seconds
3) While holding throttle pedal down, press start button to turn off car
4) Release throttle after holding for a couple more seconds
5) You should hear the system clicking and resetting.

I've tried this, and while I do hear some whirring and clicking from the throttle body, I also hear the same noises when I just turn on the car (without starting it), then within a few seconds turn the car back off again. So I am not sure the procedure is really doing anything. I will see if it affects the actual pedal/throttle response later today.
Most newer trannies have a memory... They learn how you drive and adjust accordingly for the future. This procedure sounds like what most auto makers have as a way to clear that memory out and start fresh.

I used to do it with an old Infiniti G35. Porsche has been nice enough to do it to my Macan a couple of times when it's been in the shop.