Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

stupid auto braking again

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to be honest, i really wish i had this auto braking feature. i was caught off guard in a collision, hit the car in front which jammed brake while it was trying to jump 2 lanes while filtering out to main road, all these happened when i was checking the main road traffic. my bad, i shouldn't have assumed but auto braking would have saved my day.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audigy76
to be honest, i really wish i had this auto braking feature. i was caught off guard in a collision, hit the car in front which jammed brake while it was trying to jump 2 lanes while filtering out to main road, all these happened when i was checking the main road traffic. my bad, i shouldn't have assumed but auto braking would have saved my day.
Im very sorry to hear about your collision, hopefully and most importantly you are ok? I don't mind the front one so much as I can see how that would have helped... it is the one while backing up at 1 mile an hour that stops for traffic on a nearby street more than 100 feet away, that is useless or more of a liability than a benefit....
Old 10-02-2018, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat00
BTW, when I go in for first service I'm still going to bring it up as a problem with the car to see what they say, if anything, and hopefully it's not the old hated "cannot replicate problem" answer LOL
Please keep us posted Heat about your 1st service when mentioning this problem!
Old 10-02-2018, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Gizmo607

Please keep us posted Heat about your 1st service when mentioning this problem!
will do, it will be soon as it says 1200 miles which is 2 weeks out lol... I'm sure they will tell me what they always say, which is that there is no issue and can't replicate the issue nonetheless I will bring it up and try... its apparent that it's not only me or my car as this seems to be happening to other here so perhaps faulty R&D here.... it's stopping when it shouldn't and yes the camera was clean and not dirty and yes I was no where near hitting anything
Old 10-02-2018, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat00
will do, it will be soon as it says 1200 miles which is 2 weeks out lol... I'm sure they will tell me what they always say, which is that there is no issue and can't replicate the issue nonetheless I will bring it up and try... its apparent that it's not only me or my car as this seems to be happening to other here so perhaps faulty R&D here.... it's stopping when it shouldn't and yes the camera was clean and not dirty and yes I was no where near hitting anything

happened to me twice and hoping it is the last time. Knock on wood.

Last edited by Gizmo607; 10-02-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 327 Likes on 255 Posts

I had it engage backing up when a lady cam flying around a blind corner in a parking lot. I wouldn't call having it engage in reverse a "liability" though (other than it scares the sh*t out of you, and you crap your pants!). My wife has had it engage twice when it detected shade suddenly appearing when backing up.

It uses the front/rear cameras to engage. For those with false positives, I wonder if your camera is dirty or scratched? Scratches would add a glare if light caught it correctly looking like something was there. I'd try shining a bright light perpendicular to the lens in a dark room to see if the lens looks damaged.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Wires
I had it engage backing up when a lady cam flying around a blind corner in a parking lot. I wouldn't call having it engage in reverse a "liability" though (other than it scares the sh*t out of you, and you crap your pants!). My wife has had it engage twice when it detected shade suddenly appearing when backing up.

It uses the front/rear cameras to engage. For those with false positives, I wonder if your camera is dirty or scratched? Scratches would add a glare if light caught it correctly looking like something was there. I'd try shining a bright light perpendicular to the lens in a dark room to see if the lens looks damaged.
Thank you Wires... I'll ask the dealer to look at it for me since anything related to this would be under warranty and we'll see what they say.... yes, the liability in my definition is exactly what you describe, that and the embarrassment factor of everyone in and out of the car, staring at you as if you can't drive
Old 10-03-2018, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a parking lot I regularly park in that has about 20 feet of clearance behind the head-on parking spots, then a curb, and two lanes of traffic beyond the curb.
Frequently, when I would back out of spots there, the automatic braking would kick in since the car "saw" traffic flying by 20 feet behind me (though beyond the curb).

I ended up avoiding that section of the parking lot and haven't had a problem since.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by paperbridge
There's a parking lot I regularly park in that has about 20 feet of clearance behind the head-on parking spots, then a curb, and two lanes of traffic beyond the curb.
Frequently, when I would back out of spots there, the automatic braking would kick in since the car "saw" traffic flying by 20 feet behind me (though beyond the curb).

I ended up avoiding that section of the parking lot and haven't had a problem since.
Yes it just happened again at publix so that's 4 mistakes by the computer, zero mistakes by Human. Again, this is outrageous that it keeps happening, 4 times in first month of ownership same idea.. it sees things VERY far away and then it goes crazy slamming the brakes and making a ton of noise.... I'm very dissapointed in this feature and it's interrupting what would otherwise be a semi pleasurable driving experience.
so we have to change where, and the way, we back out of places in order to avoid emergency braking for no reason? Don't you all think there is something wrong with that picture? Maybe I shouldn't go get groceries anymore since my car freaks out in the publix lot LOL... i just won't eat
Old 10-03-2018, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my 2018 SQ5 went in for first oil change, I mentioned that specific issue (brakes locking while in reverse, with no obstacle nearby) to dealer. He said no bulletins had been put out on it.

Quick Reply: stupid auto braking again