Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Sunroof Issues for Q5

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

I typically never open the sunroof, but having the bright cabin from light from above is worth it's weight IMO. I've never had a rattle in any vehicle I've owned with sunroofs, and that has been many over the past 19 years.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

so far no rattle issues with my Q5. I like opening it on a bright sunny day.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

I love the sunroof - my wife's 2019 RX 350 has a standard sunroof and it looks so tiny compared to mine. My 3 y/o son always asks me to open the sun shade so he can look outside. Well worth it!
Old 04-10-2019, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't own a car without a sunroof--just don't like dark interiors. That said, the sunroof on my '13 Q5 creaked like a horror movie but the '18 has been quiet.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the complete frame assembly replaced because of squeaking.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2018 q5
had it for one weeks, developed a rattle. Dealer contacted Audi. Put felt where contact points were for the lining. Still had rattle. Replaced frame. Problem solved. Was told by SA they had to follow AoA before going straight to replacing frame.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious to hear if anyone has the issue with the air pressure in the cabin reverberating when the sunroof is completely open?
It makes a deep bass sound almost like a subwoofer.
My wife says it hurts her ears.
I can't understand why Audi wouldn't address this issue while designing the vehicle.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyRotten
I'm curious to hear if anyone has the issue with the air pressure in the cabin reverberating when the sunroof is completely open?
I can't understand why Audi wouldn't address this issue while designing the vehicle.
Yes, there is an air pressure issue. It's also an issue with other SUVs in my experience. If you crack a window open, it will disipate the pressure somewhat and thus the sound.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've tolerated minor sunroof rattle/groaning since delivery in 12/17. I brought it up at first oil change, but the technician couldn't replicate it (he was rushed on a Sat PM). Fast forward: I put a few hundred miles on a '19 Q5 (Silvercar) last week that was rattle-free. What the? So back to the dealer I went. My center armrest also rattles occasionally -- the 2019 didn't -- so I asked about that too,

Just got a concerning call from my service rep: technician wants to know if anyone has messed with and/or adjusted the sunroof (answer: just you guys!). He couldn't say why the tech asked, but presumably something didn't look right.

Fingers crossed.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyRotten
It's a function of the size of the deflector vs. the size of the sunroof--the pop-up deflector can only redirect air upward for a certain distance before it curves back down toward the roof and enters the sunroof opening, which is what causes the air pressure increase and resultant booming sound (and why opening a window works, as it relieves the pressure). With a large sunroof fully open, the deflector would have to be taller in order to keep the air current high enough to avoid re-entry into the car, but a taller deflector would a) require a stiffer pop-up structure to stay fully upright in the increased air pressure, and b) create more wind noise of its own. Big sunroofs are great relative to keeping the interior light and airy feeling, but there are practical limitations on how far they can be open when driving at speed.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Issues for Q5