Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Suspension question for new build.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Suspension question for new build.

Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of spec'ing out my new Q5 and I have a few questions I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

I'm looking at the Technik (prestige in canada) trim with black optics and I have the option of adding "Sports suspension with damping control" or "Adaptive air suspension".

I know most people would probably say go with the air suspension which I would love, but I remember so many issues with the air suspension in the original allroads long term and I'm planning to keep this car for a while. Do you think Audi has solved all the issues they use to have with the air suspension?

In my B8 A4 I have sports suspension and it sits much lower then then standard suspension, would this be the case with the Q5 as well of I went with the sport suspension with damping control?

Any input would be great to help me make some decisions!
Old 09-04-2019, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

I think the sport suspension with damping control is just what is standard on the SQ5. I believe what it consists of is a magnetic fluid inside the shock that the suspension computer controls the excitation current to based on settings (dynamic, comfort, auto) and if it's like my S8, it also has G level sensors on each of the shock towers in the front so it can figure out if you are accelerating, braking, etc.

So it can change the dampening coefficient of the shock based on drive settings and actual driving conditions.

For the airbag suspension, I imagine it has the above, plus airbags vs. springs. My 07 S8 just had its first airbag failure after 12 years and 92K miles. They will fail down the road, but if you have the car for 5-7 years, I would not think they would fail.

As far as ride height, I don't think it is any different if you get the sport suspension with damping control.

You might want to look into a SQ5 also.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenc
I know most people would probably say go with the air suspension which I would love, but I remember so many issues with the air suspension in the original allroads long term and I'm planning to keep this car for a while. Do you think Audi has solved all the issues they use to have with the air suspension?

In my B8 A4 I have sports suspension and it sits much lower then then standard suspension, would this be the case with the Q5 as well of I went with the sport suspension with damping control?
I think the air suspension issues from the old Allroad have been solved. I haven't heard of any issues with modern cars. I don't think there is a difference in ride height between the "normal" suspension and one with damping control. My SQ5 was bought off the lot and has the air suspension, which I wouldn't have ordered, but I'm very happy with it. I use the lowest setting in the summer, and auto in the winter, with the occasional requirement to lift the car to the highest settings. I think it's well worth the money.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did not get the air suspension on my SQ5 due to buying a dealer demo, but, I would have opted for it if possible, in fact was about to order one with it but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on my current ride. I ended up lowering mine with the H&R VTF springs as I like the look way better, wouldn't have had to do that with air and the ride would have been better. If you can get air, go for it, worth the money!!
Old 09-04-2019, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for the input! I'll probably end up ordering with the air suspension, unless they can give me a killer deal on one without it.