Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

tpms and tire pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat00
yea I hear ya... and I meant the actual TMPS sensors that go in or on the tire can't be more than a few bucks... I'm just shocked that the "system" could be so expensive when it's found on so many much cheaper cars like honda accords, dodge chargers etc...
you are right but you forgot the brand markup. cargo net for audi is 270$
Old 09-13-2018, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KaDeTime
you are right but you forgot the brand markup. cargo net for audi is 270$
lol very true I guess....
not a deal killer, just a small inconvenience
Old 09-13-2018, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Instead of hardware in the tires and a radio receiver system, having a computer program that reads and interprets data that's already in the system is a rather elegant and economical idea. Good for Audi.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, we can agree to disagree on this one lol.

i can’t see how it’s better in any way, to have an indicator light that doesn’t show which tire or what the pressure is. The hardware is simple and sometimes right on the valve stem. To me, seeing a slow leak before it prevents you from getting stuck is invaluable. Ie if you see left rear tire going down one pound a day you would know to go and see if there is a nail or slow leak, the way it is now, you are only notified once the pressure is dropped and it might be too late to drive at that point... just saying, when a honda for Half the price has a screen showing all 4 tires at all times with their pressures, it seems we should have the same luxury.
for us now, we have to get dirt all over our hands, get out, look for a tire gauge, unscrew the cap, times 4, each time you want to know if your tires are properly inflated...
Old 09-13-2018, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I think they should have come up with a different acronym for this. TPMS sounds like the car is in a bad mood or something.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Benzie
I think they should have come up with a different acronym for this. TPMS sounds like the car is in a bad mood or something.
haha, agreed
Old 09-14-2018, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I know more and more car manufactures are going with the sensorless system which uses the wheel speed sensors to determine if the tire pressure has changed.
If your tire pressure drops, the circumference of the wheel will change and the wheel will start to spin at a different speed. This will prompt the vehicle to indicate a tire pressure warning.
As a few forum members have mentioned, the TPMS sensors in the wheels are an added expense and can be a PITA when dealing with a set of winter wheels or when the batteries run low in the sensors.
IMO the sensorless system is the way to go but I do agree with the fact that Audi should have made the TPMS indicate which of your four tires it thinks has an issue.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JonnyRotten
From what I know more and more car manufactures are going with the sensorless system which uses the wheel speed sensors to determine if the tire pressure has changed.
If your tire pressure drops, the circumference of the wheel will change and the wheel will start to spin at a different speed. This will prompt the vehicle to indicate a tire pressure warning.
As a few forum members have mentioned, the TPMS sensors in the wheels are an added expense and can be a PITA when dealing with a set of winter wheels or when the batteries run low in the sensors.
IMO the sensorless system is the way to go but I do agree with the fact that Audi should have made the TPMS indicate which of your four tires it thinks has an issue.
I hear you, that would at least be a compromise to at least know which tire has a potential issue without having to go check.
And it's nice when you have a screen showing all 4 pressures at all times to ensure they are always at the right pressure to avoid uneven wear etc. again, without that, you really don't know what pressure they are at without physically checking and how often do you do that since it's such a pain compared to the alternative? lol...
besides, PITA for who.. the guy installing the tire on the rim? you don't do that yourself so I don't understand what extra hassle or work it is. I just had a set of tires put on my 392 before trading it in, they put new TPMS sensors in and I watched it only took 1 minute and they didn't even charge me for them...
Old 09-14-2018, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am on the side of the folks bewildered by this missing feature. I came to the SQ5 from a Lexus GS350, which did not have a ton of great tech, but did have constant monitoring of tire pressure (and brake hold, but I digress...). Practically speaking, the TPMS was critical in the GS350, as I was regularly getting bent rims from the rough winters and crappy roads in the tri-state area. I often wouldn't know about it until I periodically checked the tire monitor on my screen, and saw the tire pressure slowly (or quickly) dropping in the affected tire.

One of the reasons I went to the SQ5 was to be better "armed" against the poor roads in my area, going away from a low-profile sportier car. And I don't expect to have the same problems with bent rims and losing tire pressure like the GS350. [So far, my tires (stock Conti AS) have been stable with no issues, but I have not been through a full winter yet in the SQ5.] But it sure would be nice to be able to easily check the tire pressure of my tires without getting down and dirty. YMMV.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffrey r
check the tire pressure of my tires without getting down and dirty. YMMV.
Maybe ask your butler?

all joking aside the car will tell you you have a leak. you wont need to "get dirty" when this happens the car will tell you its low and you will take it to service and they will get "dirty".

Think about this, a person like you that doesn't want to get "dirty" will not change a tire for spear because of a small leak or will not try to fix the leak himself. if you need to get air to lest you until you get to service you will still need to get "dirty" and fill the tire up (or ask a butler).

Audi engineering not in all cases are right in this one they are. knowing what tire is low with exact PSI would not change anything that you will have to do if you just know its low. and adding TPMS will cause a headache when changing wheels with seasons, when having track wheels and the car would scream at you as low PSI as no TPMS, and the extra cost.

You can't have your pie and eat it to.

Quick Reply: tpms and tire pressure?