Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Traffic Jam Assistant Coding - OBDEleven or VCDS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
The Q5/SQ5 is missing hardware to enable TJA because you need Adaptive Cruise Control with it's sensor for it to work properly.
Because I'm lazy and dont want to search, how did you come to this pearl of wisdom of the 2 being mutually exclusive to the programming? (not that I question your knowledge base, but for my own edification)
Old 09-18-2017, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cabal_san
Because I'm lazy and dont want to search, how did you come to this pearl of wisdom of the 2 being mutually exclusive to the programming? (not that I question your knowledge base, but for my own edification)
TJA is a part of the ACC module per Audi (see the below link) in order for the car to accelerate on it's own ACC is required, the steering could be done without ACC,but not the stop/go functionality. ACC uses different sensors also shown in the posts above. I don't see how it would work without proper radar so the car can sense things better at a distance.

https://www.audi-technology-portal.de/en/electrics-electronics/driver-assistant-systems/audi-q7-traffic-jam-assist
Old 09-18-2017, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

TJA is a part of the ACC module per Audi (see the below link) in order for the car to accelerate on it's own ACC is required, the steering could be done without ACC,but not the stop/go functionality. ACC uses different sensors also shown in the posts above. I don't see how it would work without proper radar so the car can sense things better at a distance.

https://www.audi-technology-portal.d...fic-jam-assist
I agree. TJA requires at least ACC (which will give you the radar sensors and windscreen camera) and probably also one of the more advanced parking systems, because it appears that TJA makes use of these sensors in conjunction with those for ACC. I am however not sure about the latter requirement.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

At the risk of getting completely back on topic...

The OP of this thread, who like me also resides in Canada, ordered his fully equipped '18 Technik Q5 - as I did mine - with the "Urban" Driver Assistance Package (a Canada-spec only pkg). This Urban DA Pkg includes ACC with Stop & Go, Traffic sign recognition, Audi pre sense front and Audi pre sense city. Conspicuous by its absence in this "Urban" DA Pkg were Audi active lane assist and TJA. (All other Audi driver assist features were included in our specific vehicles by way of ordering the top trim level along with included packages).
Audi Canada offered this "Urban" DA Pkg several months before "DAP" was being offered on '18 Q5s in the States by Audi USA. In retrospect it appears now that Audi North America weren't quite ready to release/make available active lane assist and TJA on the '18 Q5. Who knows?.. perhaps Audi/Volkswagen were concerned about the potential for lawsuits, etc until all relevant testing was completed. Anyway.. Audi USA finally made available, during June or July 2017, full "DAP" on the U.S. '18 Q5/SQ5. Shortly after that Audi Canada followed suit and replaced the previously available "Urban" DA Pkg with the "Advanced" DA Pkg (which came with a $500 price increase for the pkg) and which now includes active lane assist and TJA (the only changes).

With all this said.. the OP and I (along with several other '18 Q5/SQ5 owners in Canada) have succeeded in enabling active lane assist on our vehicles and are now looking/waiting for coding info to enable TJA. With this in mind, a BIG THANKS to anyone who can assist us with necessary coding information to get the job done.

/R

Last edited by rbreeze; 09-19-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome find! Thanks for the research.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Cabal_san
Awesome find! Thanks for the research.
^ Yes, nice find.. but unfortunately that doesn't provide me and some others with coding info for TJA for our ACC-equipped Q5s/SQ5s.

Also.. check out post #18 of this very thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post25032815

TJA's link to the ACC module was already discovered by Amorak in early September, using his OBDeleven device.

Last edited by rbreeze; 09-19-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rbreeze
^ Yes, nice find.. but unfortunately that doesn't provide me/us with coding info for TJA.

Also.. check out post #18 of this very thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post25032815

TJA's link to the ACC module was already discovered by Amorak in early September, using his OBDeleven device.
I linked a similar thing from Audi yesterday so at least they were correct.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

I linked a similar thing from Audi yesterday so at least they were correct.
It's good to see that the Audi Technology Portal was correct on this topic!
Old 09-19-2017, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rbreeze
It's good to see that the Audi Technology Portal was correct on this topic!
One would hope so, although it does vary from market to market I'm sure.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bumping the thread to see if anyone’s had any luck adding TJA?