Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Vehicle not recognizing Key fob

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 309 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by raaizin
Help me understand this, if the key fob not working I should be able to put key in designated area and start the car? I thought this only worked with a weak key fob battery. I did put it in the designated area(cupholdr) as per my owners manual and nothing. Not sure if I put it all the way in the slot or all way down. Funny thing tow guy put it in cupholder slot and it started first shot. I used energizer lithium Ion from Shoprite and Walmart with expiration 2030. Hopefully they can sort it out as we do like the car. I park car in driveway and it is about 15-20 feet from remote which is in the house. I do have 3 other VAG products (2017 VW Jetta,2014 911, 2021 Cayman)in the garage or driveway, could these be interfering with the Q5?
From what I understand, the fob has two types of signal, one like your garage door opener and one like your credit card needs contact or very close proximity. One needs power, the other does not. This way even if you fob was completely dead, you could still start your car.
The following users liked this post:
Tesla1856 (01-09-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok thanks for the clarification
Old 01-09-2022, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2018 purchased new has just had this issue. Both remotes will not open the door. Used the key ,put fob in slot in cupholder and nothing happens. Had car towed to Audi tech says key fob battery. I have put 3 batteries in last year last one about a month ago. He said he will scan the car on Monday. I dont like not having confidence in car as we have a 1200 mile roadtrip Jan 31 and hopefully they will fix. But honestly based on it being intermittent and the previous posts it looks like multiple trips to the dealer are in my future.
Have them scan and then have them perform "key adaption to vehicle".
No guarantee , that's what they did to our 2018 Q5 several times before they bought it back.
And now that's what they have done to our 2021 Q5 at least twice so far, but we haven't been driving it since we got it back from last service 3 weeks ago.

Wife will be going back to work tomorrow , so she'll be back to driving it daily , we'll see how long till it happens again.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by OFDPOS
Have them scan and then have them perform "key adaption to vehicle".
No guarantee , that's what they did to our 2018 Q5 several times before they bought it back.
And now that's what they have done to our 2021 Q5 at least twice so far, but we haven't been driving it since we got it back from last service 3 weeks ago.

Wife will be going back to work tomorrow , so she'll be back to driving it daily , we'll see how long till it happens again.
OFDPOS,

Got car back yesterday they said they couldnt duplicate naturally. Today I have 4 different videos of it happening. Good thing for Iphones. Back to dealer tomorrow! Strange that there arent more posts about this issue! I purchased new but dont think I qualify as a lemon as car is 3 years old. How old was yours when they bought it back and how much did they give you trade in valu or purchase price? PM me PLEASE if you dont want to put it out there

Last edited by raaizin; 01-11-2022 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 309 Likes on 233 Posts

OFDPOS,

Got car back yesterday they said they couldnt duplicate naturally. Today I have 4 different videos of it happening. Good thing for Iphones. Back to dealer tomorrow! Strange that there arent more posts about this issue! I purchased new but dont think I qualify as a lemon as car is 3 years old. How old was yours when they bought it back and how much did they give you trade in valu or purchase price? PM me PLEASE if you dont want to put it out there
Do you think it could be an environmental issue? I don't mean weather, but something else. I know when I had my Acura, if I kept the key fob in the same pocket as my cell phone, I could not unlock my doors. It took me a while to figure it out and I solved the problem by simply keeping my fob and phone in different pockets.
Just a thought.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

OFDPOS,

1. Got car back yesterday they said they couldn't duplicate naturally.

2. Strange that there aren't more posts about this issue!
1. Good indication there is nothing physically broken. That is actually good.

2. Because most owners just replace with high-quality CR2032 Battery (every 9 months) and get to their lives. Because #1 happened, only other possibility is a bad Fob (with a cracked motherboard and intermittent short/open). However, use of your 2nd-Driver Fob would rule that out.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ribeye
Do you think it could be an environmental issue?
know when I had my Acura, if I kept the key fob in the same pocket as my cell phone, I could not unlock my doors.
Yeah, only problem we have had recently is wife said her FOB wasn't being detected so well lately. Turns-out she had it in her brand new (NFC and credit-card blocking) purse.

I explained to her what the problem was and her first response was "But this is a Audi Fob, not a credit-card or phone". Pretty interesting how few adults understand how wireless (used to be called radios) work.

I picked my screen-name for a reason, and it has nothing to do with the other guy who took the name for his company that builds cars and spaceships.
Old 01-11-2022, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Yeah, only problem we have had recently is wife said her FOB wasn't being detected so well lately. Turns-out she had it in her brand new (NFC and credit-card blocking) purse.

I explained to her what the problem was and her first response was "But this is a Audi Fob, not a credit-card or phone". Pretty interesting how few adults understand how wireless (used to be called radios) work.

I picked my screen-name for a reason, and it has nothing to do with the other guy who took the name for his company that builds cars and spaceships.
I have the key in my hand I manually lock and unlock. Old habits never die. . I was thinking enviromental. Nothing really changed on our block and houses are pretty well spaced.I have had car 3 1/2 years and not experienced this ever until now
Old 01-11-2022, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have the key in my hand I manually lock and unlock. Old habits never die. . I was thinking enviromental. Nothing really changed on our block and houses are pretty well spaced.I have had car 3 1/2 years and not experienced this ever until now
To be clear ... I'm only still trying to help you because you said Audi dealer said it was working fine for them (also that whole towing ordeal). I would hate to be in this situation. Please read my questions carefully a couple of times before you answer.

Yes, holding it in your hand is fine. As far as EMF interference ... outside on the drive-way is best/cleanest. EMF would be coming from things like your house, other cars, stuff like that.

a. Do you have 2 key-fobs for this vehicle? If so, are they the original ones that came with the vehicle when it was new?

b. Have you installed brand new Duracell or Energizer CR2032 batteries in both key fobs?

c. Are you testing both fobs, and keeping track of which one sometimes does not work.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
To be clear ... I'm only still trying to help you because you said Audi dealer said it was working fine for them (also that whole towing ordeal). I would hate to be in this situation. Please read my questions carefully a couple of times before you answer.

Yes, holding it in your hand is fine. As far as EMF interference ... outside on the drive-way is best/cleanest. EMF would be coming from things like your house, other cars, stuff like that.

a. Do you have 2 key-fobs for this vehicle? If so, are they the original ones that came with the vehicle when it was new?

b. Have you installed brand new Duracell or Energizer CR2032 batteries in both key fobs?

c. Are you testing both fobs, and keeping track of which one sometimes does not work.
Thanks! Any help would be appreciated! We have 3 other cars. All bone stock 2017 VW Jetta SE, 2014 porsche 911, 2021 Cayman S. Both porsches are garaged . VW and Audi in driveway. I have used remote as close as 2ft away pressing the remote manually
a)I have the two key fobs which I received when I purchased the car new
b)I installed new Energizer CR2032 batteries,Dealer said they replaced key FOB batteries but I didnt check if they did. I am sure they did but just giving all info I am 100% certain.
c)I have tried both and both exhibit this issue.

Last edited by raaizin; 01-12-2022 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Add video

Quick Reply: Vehicle not recognizing Key fob