Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Washing 2018 SQ5, constantly locks and unlocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washing 2018 SQ5, constantly locks and unlocks

This may sound ridiculous but it is driving me nuts each time I wash my SQ5. When I have the keys in my pocket and I am washing the SQ5 the vehicle is constantly locking and unlocking itself as I clean it and even is activated by just spraying the car with water, chirping and lights flashing very frustrating. Being frustrated with this constant noise I decided I would leave my keys in the house while I washed the car, this of course caused even more noise as the alarm started going off as soon as I touched it with the car wash mitt!

Someone please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong, I'm just trying to keep her clean and looking good and I tired of her chirping and flashing at me the whole time.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Here is a wild suggestion

Open the door, put the key inside....

Old 05-25-2018, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had something similar that happen to me on a Camry, but it was only when I had the keys in the pocket, and the hose was near the key would the car unlock and lock itself. Its like the water transmitted the signal from the keyfob to the car. Never had that issue on our X5. Are you locking the car? I have never experienced that on the Audi. Maybe I will try it this weekend.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'd definitely recommend leaving the fob in the vehicle while you wash it. Mine does the same thing if I have it in my pocket. The sensors in the door handles are activated by the water.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 392 Likes on 278 Posts

I have a small metal box that i put my keys in while washing my car. It prevents th e signal from reaching the keys. Same idea as using a metal box to prevent theft.

Last edited by spindlewood; 05-26-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'll have to try leaving the keys in the car, I hadn't thought of that. Have a good weekend!
Old 05-26-2018, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a faraday pouch. I keep it in the door pocket. It's also a good idea to keep your keys in a faraday pouch/box when at home, to prevent thieves from spoofing your keys.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Yup. I have the same issue in both my A4 and SQ5. Like others. I leave the keys in the car. Else it would drive me mad.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just washed my car for the first time this weekend and encountered the same thing. Hadn't thought about leaving the keys inside the vehicle, I'll try that next time. I'm a little surprised Audi choose to use capacitive touch sensors for the door handle locks instead of more robust physical switches as used on many other brands, which aren't susceptible to false triggers when wet.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NeonMidnight
Just washed my car for the first time this weekend and encountered the same thing. Hadn't thought about leaving the keys inside the vehicle, I'll try that next time. I'm a little surprised Audi choose to use capacitive touch sensors for the door handle locks instead of more robust physical switches as used on many other brands, which aren't susceptible to false triggers when wet.
My '07 q7 with physical switches for the door lock handles is the reason they now use capacitive sensors...about as far from "robust" as you can possibly get. I've gone through 8 door handles, all 4 originals replaced under warranty, and all 4 that were replaced have long since failed to work. I tried one last time replacing one a year ago so that I would have one lock button on each side of the car, but then both handles died within 9 months, so now none of my handles will lock the car. Definitely a poorly designed door handle system they had, and no revision that fixes the problem. This is in comparison to a Camry with keyless that I bought at the same time for my mother-in-law, that has been flawless and problem free with physical buttons on the handles for the same time period.

I can only hope Audi has learned something and avoided the issues by going with the capacitive switches on my SQ5 handles.