Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Audi Q7 whole tail light replacement every time light goes out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Q7 whole tail light replacement every time light goes out?

Hello all!
I have looked everywhere and even went to the dealer for this issue. My left Brake light, and turn signal light went out. I went on YouTube to go see the How-To replace light and seemed simple enough. Upon starting this I noticed that it looked way different than those videos and looked like I needed to take out the whole light out, which I did. No I don't know how to get to the darn bulb part. I went to the Audi dealership and they told me that for these types of lights you need to replace the whole light, THE WHOLE LIGHT EVERYTIME A BULB GOES OUT. That sounds pretty freaking crazy. Anyways, hopefully someone can help? I will be submitting pics of the part.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Here is the part without any screws, it seems like I am suppose to pull the front and the back apart? It is very difficult though and it seems like too much force may break it
Old 09-19-2017, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Abrio0213
Here is the part without any screws, it seems like I am suppose to pull the front and the back apart? It is very difficult though and it seems like too much force may break it
It looks like you have a face lifted model (2010 or newer)?? If so, there aren’t any bulbs in the housing as it’s all LEDs. If the LED goes out then you have to replace the whole unit.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep. The whole unit needs to be replaced.. if that's the problem... Check your connections and wires, a wire could be pinched/severed somewhere. you never know. Also keep in mind when searching for a replacement that North American tail lights (red turn signals) are different compared to European tail lights. (orange turn signals). Buy the correct tail light to match the other side.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Canadian Lurker
It looks like you have a face lifted model (2010 or newer)?? If so, there aren’t any bulbs in the housing as it’s all LEDs. If the LED goes out then you have to replace the whole unit.
I see... Thanks for responding!
Old 09-20-2017, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by D3Audi
Yep. The whole unit needs to be replaced.. if that's the problem... Check your connections and wires, a wire could be pinched/severed somewhere. you never know. Also keep in mind when searching for a replacement that North American tail lights (red turn signals) are different compared to European tail lights. (orange turn signals). Buy the correct tail light to match the other side.
Actually upon installing it back in it looks like everything works fine now
Turn signal was normal on dashboard, then about 30 sec. later it starts to blink super fast and I get the warning saying rear left light, left brake light and rear left turn signal need replacement all while everything seems to be working fine. Could it be that maybe it will be going out soon? Or wiring issue?
Old 09-20-2017, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default check your fault codes

you might just need to clear that one out to stop the alert.

Originally Posted by Abrio0213
Actually upon installing it back in it looks like everything works fine now
Turn signal was normal on dashboard, then about 30 sec. later it starts to blink super fast and I get the warning saying rear left light, left brake light and rear left turn signal need replacement all while everything seems to be working fine. Could it be that maybe it will be going out soon? Or wiring issue?