Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Changing out 2014 Q7 TDI TCM

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Changing out 2014 Q7 TDI TCM

So today I finally have come to the point of installing a previously bought pre-emissions TCM from another 2014 Q7 TDI. Here are the step by step instructions, as they differ from the Cayenne and Touareg; we have to actually pull our passenger seat to remove the module. No way around it, and with these pictures you'll see why!

First step is gathering tools,
Triple square sockets
Torx sockets
Medium socket extension
ratchet
ratcheting screw driver
plastic trim removal tool

optional,
cordless drill
socket conversion bit

Use the plastic trim removal tool to remove the plastic covers without damaging them. Then use a ratchet to break the torque and loosen the M10 bolts. I then used a cordless drill to quickly remove them.

You'll need to remove the front passenger seat lower carpet trim piece. You'll know what I'm talking about,
because with it in place you can not see the seat structure below it. Just pops off. Beware when putting it
back on that there is a piece that has to slide into place before the left front side can snap in.

Time for that torx bit, remove it and you can remove the TCM/ Air Suspension module housing.

The security snaps that hold the TCM module in place. One on either side, not accessible from the front. You'll understand once you get to this point.

Use a plastic trim tool to 'pop' each side and slide the module out of place.

From there you just remove and replace the module.

Now you have two options, either stop and connect VCDS and verify or reassemble. I took the VCDS route.

I verified the software coding was the old 1378 from the new 1178 emissions coding.
Then went into the faults sections and cleared the codes. (I don't disconnect the battery during module changes)

I then removed all the tools and took the Q for a ride around the neighborhood to verify it wasn't going to give me and weird instances when I go out later today!

Now that everything looks like it should, reassemble everything in the reverse order.

Lastly, the torque for the M10 bolts to 45nm and blue threadlock is recommended.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Front_Seat_Removal.pdf (83.3 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by Built4Sin; 06-16-2019 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice, now I want one too
Old 06-16-2019, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

Interested in offloading your fixed TCM? I'd like to take my unmolested one out and take em one already fixed when I get my fix.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
Interested in offloading your fixed TCM? I'd like to take my unmolested one out and take em one already fixed when I get my fix.
I might look at sending it over to be reprogrammed and reinstall it later. I’ll post later if it becomes available.

Be careful on Ebay and such to make sure the right module is being sent out.

I previously (few months back) bought a used Euro TDI Touareg TCM and it didn’t work at all. Faults galore and ended up sending it to YorkTreg to verify it. He replied just about every euro TCM he’s come across is DOA. The parts are supposed to be interchangeable, but after that fiasco, I just ponied up and bought the exact module number Q7s use, ‘AQ’, bonus it was unmodified from the emissions scandal. I also picked up a spare ECU, that I’ll have cloned and loaded with Malone’s basic tune.

A reputable vendor on EBay would be LKQ, that’s who I picked all this up from.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Quick update. It’s amazing how much better the Q shifts and drives, not to mention getting back the gradual braking when you let up off the accelerator. If you’re on the fence, that means your already fed up.

Night and day difference. 🤙