Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Audi Q7 3.6 Water Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Audi Q7 3.6 Water Pump Replacement

Audi Q7 3.6 Water Pump Replacement

I had a new squeal sound and noticed coolant leaking under car. Saw it Coming from the Water Pump. The vehicle with 145,000 miles that is normal for the bearings to be shot.
The screw into the tensioner is a good idea and holds the tensioner off the belt for the entire time. It is the proper way to release the belt. I have no idea if a bolt is supposed to always be there but I see new tensioners come with a bolt.
I use Coolant from Advanceauto/Autozone $13 for 1.5L 50:50 mixture with 3 1 Gallon DISTILLAED Water from Walmart 88c each.
3 Pentofrost E with SILICATE, I mistakenly say sulfate.
To catch the spilling Coolant I got 2 cheap flat bins from Walmart $4.50 each. I'll clean them and return them after.
To drain the coolant from the reservoir I used a manual hand pump siphon from harbor freight seen at around 9:37. After the water pump was back in, I filled the reservoir past FILL. then I was messing around squeezing the upper and lower hoses when the car started filling the engine block with the electric water pump. I have no clue what triggered it to do it. I believe 3qts came out of the block.
It was hard to tighten the pulley bolts, I may loctite blue them or find a way to tighten them better later. They were not all that tight initially.
I got the water pump from amazon for around $65.
The spline set is from amazon $14
TORX and HEX Set from Harborfreight.
TORX is needed for the hose bolt.
Allen for pulley is 6.
Spline for Pump is 6.
I cleaned the mating surface with a tiny wire wheel brush. but first plugged the hole with a paper towel so I did not spray rust into it.
I may flush the coolant out as I am not really sure about the color of the coolant that was in there already. it should have been G12 or G12++ as the original owner only let Audi touch this car all its life.
This was the easiest water pump I have ever done.
One of the 3 dust cover clips instantly broke off when I touch it, so I can't put it back on as it will probably fly off and either damage a fan or eat the belt. so don't reinstall a dust cover with a broken clip!
If they are cheap I may replace it just because.
After watching the video I noticed the original Water Pump also has the Weep Hole at the top, so I am a bit confused. Dunno if it was leaking right up the bearing and not out the weep hole. Doesn't much matter because the bearing is obviously shot.