Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Best Brake Pads

Well, I took off this morning and the low gas light came on and then I believe the brake sensor yellow light came on.
Stopped for gas, when I left the station, all lights off, no worries, or should I be worried? I am not certain how the sensors for brakes work. When it comes on, wouldn't it stay on?

I have roughly 73,000 miles now and this is last replaced. I am hoping for another 4000 miles, is that asking to much? I do have a 500 mile turnaround trip coming this weekend and hope they last.

I do not see rear brake pads ever being changed or listed, but They did look brand new at the time I purchased it. They had to have been changed and not documented.
The fronts have been documented being changed 3 times (pads) and once (rotors)

Purchased soon after this.
DATE11/29/2017
MILEAGE 37,424 mi
Services Performed
  • Pre-delivery inspection completed
  • Wheel(s) repaired
  • Front brake rotor(s) replaced
  • Front brake pads replaced
  • Front wiper blades/refills replaced
  • Drivability/performance checked
  • Four tires mounted
  • Tire(s) replaced

Front. MILEAGE 71,273 mi, taken during rotation.

• Then this on the way home! First stop in the morning.
  • The last time they were changed, the rotors were changed also. So, when I do change the brakes, should I change the rotors also?
I am considering Brembo and Power Stop Z23 (I hear these are good with no dust)
What are your thoughts? Opinions?

I need to get them ordered for when it is time.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by jbgilbank; 08-08-2019 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Better understanding
Old 07-31-2019, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 567 Likes on 449 Posts

they work by opening a circuit.. it wears through the wire, cutting it basically and then is open, but if that wire ground on something it could go off again..

Run your finger down your rotor surface, BEFORE you drive it anywhere FFS so you dont burn your finger off.. if its wavy, pitted, cracked or there's a bad lip on edge where pad stops its time for new rotors.. otherwise slap new pads in and go through the bedding procedure 2-3 times.

Just give up and embrace the dust, at this point its just a sign of the performance.. if you get less dusty pads you end up without as good stopping power.. really hard to improve on OEM.
The following users liked this post:
jbgilbank (07-31-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I would recommend replacing the pads on all four wheels. You should check the rear rotors and see if they need replacing as well. I generally replace my pads around every 35-40k miles and replace the rotors with every other set of pads. Since the front rotors were replaced with the front pads they're probably OK. Definitely check the rear rotors for wear to see if they are due to be replaced. If you're a DIYer then you'll be happy to know that replacing the pads on a Q7 is probably one of the easiest brake jobs you'll ever do. You don't need to remove the calipers to replace the pads like you do with most other vehicles. You can probably do all four wheels in about an hour, if not less.

You will need to replace the sensors with new ones when replacing the pads. Unplug the sensor, remove the pin securing the pads and pull out the pads along with the sensor and plate. It's a quick and easy job. I believe the pins on the front wheels have a small cotter pin and the ones on the rear have a small circlip holding the pin in place, but it's been a while since I did mine.

Last edited by captain_video; 08-01-2019 at 05:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
maxnuvo (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by captain_video
I would recommend replacing the pads on all four wheels. You should check the rear rotors and see if they need replacing as well. I generally replace my pads around every 35-40k miles and replace the rotors with every other set of pads. Since the front rotors were replaced with the front pads they're probably OK. Definitely check the rear rotors for wear to see if they are due to be replaced. If you're a DIYer then you'll be happy to know that replacing the pads on a Q7 is probably one of the easiest brake jobs you'll ever do. You don't need to remove the calipers to replace the pads like you do with most other vehicles. You can probably do all four wheels in about an hour, if not less.

You will need to replace the sensors with new ones when replacing the pads. Unplug the sensor, remove the pin securing the pads and pull out the pads along with the sensor and plate. It's a quick and easy job. I believe the pins on the front wheels have a small cotter pin and the ones on the rear have a small circlip holding the pin in place, but it's been a while since I did mine.
Thanks Cap!
I can usually change out front pads and rotors in 20 minutes or so on normal caliper removal vehicles, considering the wheels are off already. So this should be a breeze! I am DIY'r and very mechanically inclined.
How do you compress the cylinders back? To fit the new pads?
I just need to get the best pads for the job. They were last changed at Audi New Port Beach, so I would assume they would be factory product? Brembo?
I would love to have less dust and see those who use power stop have less. Any other ideas?

Here are some pics. Little ridges on the top and bottom of pad runs, but not bad. Pads are ready to be replaced soon! Thoughts?
I will get them ordered for installation and hope it lasts me this month.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

pry the pad up on each side with a flathead, focus any excess stress on the pad and not the rotor since your gonna toss it anyhow.. work it til they come out easy and then pry pistons close.

Calipers are heavy and got some bitch bolts on em that can be a pain w/out a lift, usually worth the effort to try to get pads out and new ones in w/out taking em off.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 08-01-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
pry the pad up on each side with a flathead, focus any excess stress on the pad and not the rotor since your gonna toss it anyhow.. work it til they come out easy and then pry pistons close.

Calipers are heavy and got some bitch bolts on em that can be a pain w/out a lift, usually worth the effort to try to get pads out and new ones in w/out taking em off.
I do have a lip to the touch, but doesn't look bad, in fact, hardly noticeable to the eye. Should be good, right?
You say I should be good for at least 1500 miles after the light engages?
I am traveling to Michigan from NC, then to NY and back home. I cannot get the pads here in time, so I am considering sending them ahead to Mi. and change them there. I have friends and family with the proper tools and could change them quick.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

sounds fine, yeah you'll be fine for 1500 miles.. there's a ton of meat left on em when light comes on.. they must think ppl will drive on em for a while (like another 10k).. when my lights came on I bought everything, took wheels off in like February before a big trip (towing)... looked at pads and said naw, put wheels back on and drove it at LEAST another 2k miles before I finally got sick of the light and got some nice weather to replace em, and then there was still plenty of meat left.

On interstates you dont use your brakes much at all, so you probably wont notice any wear even if you actually measured it.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 08-10-2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

I’ve done three changes on two Q7s over past 7 years. All advice given above is accurate. I once bypassed the wear sensors on our old one and drove it another 5000 miles before doing pads and rotors. Still had a couple of mm of pad material left.
FYI Centric Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic pads perform identical to Audi OEM and save you a few $. They come with shiny new anti rattle springs, wear clips and pins too. I’m sure there are others but experimenting risks getting a set that don’t perform well. BTDT on other Audi’s. Pads alone is a breeze As stated you lever the pads back a bit to allow room to slip them out. After they are out you can compress each piston one at a time with your fingers.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
I’ve done three changes on two Q7s over past 7 years. All advice given above is accurate. I once bypassed the wear sensors on our old one and drove it another 5000 miles before doing pads and rotors. Still had a couple of mm of pad material left.
FYI Centric Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic pads perform identical to Audi OEM and save you a few $. They come with shiny new anti rattle springs, wear clips and pins too. I’m sure there are others but experimenting risks getting a set that don’t perform well. BTDT on other Audi’s. Pads alone is a breeze As stated you lever the pads back a bit to allow room to slip them out. After they are out you can compress each piston one at a time with your fingers.
You never tried the power stops?
I keep hearing great things with less dust. That is why I am going to try them.
How is the dust on yours?

Not worried with changing them, just don't want to give up performance for look!
Seeking happy medium, but I have a bunch of lives depending on grandpas foot and pedal working every time!
Old 08-11-2019, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

I’ve heard good too but never tried them. Dust on Centric is similar to OEM .
I would prefer less dust but not at the expense of friction coefficient or heat tolerance. So - I just stay with what I know.
The following 2 users liked this post by J. Patterson:
dreadlocks (08-11-2019), WakeX2 (08-13-2019)

Quick Reply: Brakes