Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

First Service Gripe

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 05:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Service Gripe

The dealer picked up the Q on Tuesday to do a paintless dent repair ont eh door that I knew about. It was a small dent and was satisfied that they would repair it correctly. They had the car overnight and gave me a base Q 3.6 to drive. They brought the car back yesterday and they threw in a set of heavy duty rubber floor mats for my troubles. However the car was returned filty and had raw tobacco from cigarettes all over the front seat. It was out of gas and they drove it over 240 miles. Plus the motor makes a whining noise like a turbine engine (sounds like an alternator the whines through the speakers). I think someone drove it overnight and spanked the hell out of it.

Does anyone else have this whining noise? It is a 4.2 Premium and I'm sure I would have noticed it for the three days I owned it prior to them taking it.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2007, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sure, mine will make a sound similar to a "turbine" when I have the windows

down and am listening for it... in particular on deceleration. That still doesn't excuse the fact that they drove it 240 miles? Do you live a long distance from the dealer? Most dealers would also insure it was clean as well. Perhaps a phone call to the service manager thanking him/her for the floor mats but letting them know you would of rather had your Q7 in good order upon return would be in order?
Old 08-16-2007, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah if that happened to my car 'd put in a call to AoA.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: sure, mine will make a sound similar to a "turbine" when I have the windows

Yes that is what mine sounds like. I hear it on acceleration and deceleration. With the AC on you can't really hear it. I tend to notice the goofiest things in a car. The Lexus had a hesitation when shifting from 5th to 4th or from 5th to 3rd that drove me nuts.

Since I only picked the car up on Saturday, it may be that it had the noise the whole time but I did not notice since it was hot and the AC was blowing hard.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default No whining allowed in this forum...

Unless its the whine from your Audi 4.2. All of my 4.2's have had a slight whine to them, and my Q7 has it as well.

I kinda like the balance of growl and whine that the engine produces under moderate acceleration.

As for the extra 250 mile present you were given when you collected your Q7 from service, this would be totally unacceptable in my opinion and I would demand an explanation. I have a great Audi dealer here so something like that would be totally unexpected but I would not just write it off as an oh well.

I am with MarkItZero on this one, the service manager should be the first person you call. AOA is most likely just going to offer the standard independent dealers are out of their control line.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: No whining allowed in this forum...

Well I'm glad to hear the whine is normal. Here is the problem with calling up and letting loose about the miles. I can't say for 100% certianty that they put that many miles on the car. The dealer I bought it from is about 40 miles away so that is about 80. The car had 16 miles on it on Saturday and I remember that the trip meter was reading the same mileage as the odometer. When it was returned the trip meter said 240 miles and the odometer said 351 miles. That is why I think they put on 240 miles. What was upsettign the most was the tobacco all over the seats and them not washing the car AND the dent that was in the car prior to my buying it is still slightly noticible. When you throw down this much money on a car, you expect things to be perfect.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default mileage aside, if you aren't happy with the repair

by all means call up and ask them to make it right. You're right, it's a lot of money and not too much to ask.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Here's my suggestion. . .

As the others have said above, speak with the service manager. Thank him for picking up the car and fixing the dent. Tell him you really appreciate the mats and have much you enjoy him. Then, hit him, nicely, with the tobacco issue and dirty car. I'm sure he'll take care of the issue. Remember sugar catches more flies than vinegar.

As far as the mileage goes, if you aren't 100% sure about the mileage I wouldn't confront the service manager. You might just mention the mileage in an "off hand" comment. I'm sure he'll be smart enough to catch your drift.

A suggestion, to all on this list, when they take their cars to a dealer for work. Make sure of the mileage, gas level and shape of the car. If you have a digital camera - take lots of pictures before you drop it off. Unfortunately, I learned this lesson the hard way at a Mercury dealer a long time ago. Hope that helps.

Trust No One!
Old 08-18-2007, 06:24 AM

Default My V8 doesn't whin...

but I'd put up with a little whinning if I didn't have to ever change another timming belt.

So, the whinning is from the timming chain in your V8s? That'd be my guess.