Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

MMI screen garbled, but everything works

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI screen garbled, but everything works

I am starting a new thread on this, as I believe it is associated with the rear sunroof drain issue and I had water in the spare tire well. I have fixed that issue.
Everything works, but the screen on the MMI glows a faint garbled white. I can see that if a press a button, like seat heater, the garble changes. I am trying to dry out the wheel well and I think the screen was getting better, but it's not close to resolved.
Any suggestions on a module to replace or dry out?

Garbled Screen on

Garbled Screen off, to show difference.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey mate just one more question is are all of your buttons around the MMI control illuminated red when pressed? If all the control buttons look like their off then the problem is once again more easly identified.
Did you have access to a vag-com or Vcds to try and communicate with the “MOST” circuit??
if all this checks out and all is working then try and connect to the control head 07. If ok then my guess would be the MMI display has failed.
(without vcds or vag-com though) troubleshooting would be impossible bud
Old 05-15-2018, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

All of the buttons light up red when illuminated. The screen does not work, but I have memorized some of the button sequences, like to switch source between CD and AUX. And it works.
I do not have a VAGCOM or VCDS but might find someone who can help me out there (anyone here on Cape Cod? I have BEER!).
I might try to find a local Audi guru mechanic with a VCDS to figure it out...

Originally Posted by Up-it
Hey mate just one more question is are all of your buttons around the MMI control illuminated red when pressed? If all the control buttons look like their off then the problem is once again more easly identified.
Did you have access to a vag-com or Vcds to try and communicate with the “MOST” circuit??
if all this checks out and all is working then try and connect to the control head 07. If ok then my guess would be the MMI display has failed.
(without vcds or vag-com though) troubleshooting would be impossible bud
Old 05-15-2018, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

did you check your front drains to make sure you are not getting flooded at that area also?
mine were very clogged to say the least lol.
Previous owner parked it near trees I see. they clog pretty fast if seeds etc get onto the windshield.

Does it display the MMI startup screen or that is garbled too?
Have you tried the MMI reboot sequence? i forget the key sequence lol
i know its diagonal, left bottom to upper right.
Audi MMI force restart (2G, 3G, 3G+) - mr-fix.info

Bottom left key, center round button, top left key from center round buttom, held together for 2 seconds.
See if the display comes up or stays garbled.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks I just checked the front drains with compressed air and they blow through fine. I have not found any wetness in the front.
MMI startup screen is garbled, too.
I am hesitant to reboot because then I will not be able to change any settings with the screen garbled. Like bluetooth connection etc. or should that stay the same? does one even need the screen for that?

Originally Posted by bspurloc
did you check your front drains to make sure you are not getting flooded at that area also?
mine were very clogged to say the least lol.
Previous owner parked it near trees I see. they clog pretty fast if seeds etc get onto the windshield.

Does it display the MMI startup screen or that is garbled too?
Have you tried the MMI reboot sequence? i forget the key sequence lol
i know its diagonal, left bottom to upper right.
Audi MMI force restart (2G, 3G, 3G+) - mr-fix.info

Bottom left key, center round button, top left key from center round buttom, held together for 2 seconds.
See if the display comes up or stays garbled.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

it just reboots the MMI it doesnt reset it.
It acts like you just turned the car off then back on except you didnt! lol
When I googled garbled MMI I see some people saying there was tsb's or something in other cars and the dealer replaced their mmi but not for free.
But like Up-it mentioned it may be possible its garbled from data loss over the fiber.
I was going to say maybe the AV plug for the AV screen is loose but I dont think that would cause that.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It is sort of getting better. Next time I have a chance, I am going to put a dehumidifier in the car and run it overnight. That helped with some electrical moisture related problems in other cars.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

that is basically what I did.
I parked in my garage and never used it in the rain for awhile.

One other thing a user here noted and I keep forgetting, the rear windows washer fluid line supposedly feeds over the amp ALSO... just great and it cracks leaking on the bose amp.
I think I have this issue too but havent checked it.
I am pretty sure awhile ago I was repeatedly trying to spray the rear window and saw nothing happen. I am wondering if I knocked it off when I fixed the drain or its really cracked.
Since reading about It I have not touched that and want to cut off washer fluid to the back as it is never needed. I dont have one for my car so what would I be missing?
speaking of which I accidentally hit it to today grrrrrrr....
now that I am typing this I am asking myself WHY i didnt do something to deflect liquids away from the amp while I was in there grrrrr