Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Odd LED DRL Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Odd LED DRL Issue

When I turn my '11 Q7 off in the dark (like in my garage), the LED DRLs and fog lights stay on for 30 seconds. About 50% of the time my passenger side DRL will be off, driver side DRL and both fog lights on.

Whenever I notice the passenger side DRL is out I always get an error message the first time I start the vehicle. It's a photo of a bulb with a slash through it, and it says something like "Right side LED DRL out".

The message goes away after a few seconds, and the DRLs do work. The only time I have the issue is when I turn the vehicle off in the dark.

Strange--anyone else?

I'll let dealer take a look at it during first service--not a huge issue.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have this too, took it into the dealer and they want to replace the whole unit. Sounds like we found the first '11 bug for the Q. It's the right side too... but that could be just coincidental.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by arU4ic
I have this too, took it into the dealer and they want to replace the whole unit. Sounds like we found the first '11 bug for the Q. It's the right side too... but that could be just coincidental.
Interesting.....
Old 01-16-2011, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Force-1
When I turn my '11 Q7 off in the dark (like in my garage), the LED DRLs and fog lights stay on for 30 seconds. About 50% of the time my passenger side DRL will be off, driver side DRL and both fog lights on.

Whenever I notice the passenger side DRL is out I always get an error message the first time I start the vehicle. It's a photo of a bulb with a slash through it, and it says something like "Right side LED DRL out".

The message goes away after a few seconds, and the DRLs do work. The only time I have the issue is when I turn the vehicle off in the dark.

Strange--anyone else?

I'll let dealer take a look at it during first service--not a huge issue.

I have this on '10 TDI. Dealer says no known bulletins, but Audi was looking into the issue, dealer told me to hold off on replacing until Audi comes up with a real solution, other than replacing the whole unit. It didn't bother me too much since it only occurs with the coming home feature. DRL functions fine as DRLs.

-ThinkMac-
Old 01-16-2011, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ithinkmac
I have this on '10 TDI. Dealer says no known bulletins, but Audi was looking into the issue, dealer told me to hold off on replacing until Audi comes up with a real solution, other than replacing the whole unit. It didn't bother me too much since it only occurs with the coming home feature. DRL functions fine as DRLs.

-ThinkMac-
Yeah, exactly same here. But my dealership is replacing it.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Shortly after delivery of my 2010 TDI, I saw an error code on the VAG-COM for something about a ground fault in the right DRL. It never exhibited itself as a problem with the light or error messages in the cluster, but only showed on the VAG-COM.

I mentioned this to my dealer's service manager, who told me that Audi was aware of the problem and had a TSB coming out on this in the near future; and he would advise me when they received it. This was in June 2010.

Since then, the dealer never has called about it and last check in October showed that there are no outstanding TSB's for my car. Also, the error code in the VAG-COM has gone away and not returned.

Electrical glitch, I guess. Go figure.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same issue, the light would not work about 20% of the time when I got out of my car in the garage when coming home. The dealer replaced the entire headlight, but that didn't work. So I took it in again and they found a Techinical Service Bulletin on it and the control modules on the headlight needed to be replaced. So they replaced them and I haven't had an issue since.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

By the way, this was in late November 2010, so Audi defintely knows there is a problem and has a fix for it.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:39 PM

I stopped by dealer the other day to discuss the LED DRL issue and that I screwed up my license plate mounting holes. They said they have seen the issue in several Q5s, not Q7. Said they replace the headlight relay when this happens. We agreed to wait until my 5K mile service, as it's not a big deal.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:25 PM

Took my Q in a few days ago for 5K service, and they replaced the LED relay. Now it's worse!

Every time I start the vehicle I get these, in order:

Then I have to put up with the failed bulb icon for the entire trip.

Back to the dealer for another go this Wednesday!

Quick Reply: Odd LED DRL Issue