Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

OK .. I decided I am putting the 21" Wheels in the attic

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I suspect you have been running too high a pressure and that is what has caused the noise. Probably too late now as the wear has been caused. I would also go the the Tire Rack and check the reviews on the tires you have. I suspect that you will see that tire is noted for noise.

One of the best tires out there now for all season is the Conti DWS. Take a look at the reviews
Old 05-04-2010, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jetinder
Arie

I had another chat with them again and Audi are contributing towards replacement rubber up to 100% (depending on mileage on the current rubber). But I logged the wear issue about 7 months after buying the car, so I should be ok.

The master technician I spoke with said that it's only a recent bulletin from Audi. He also thinks that they force you down the Dunlop route :-( I'll try and push for an alternative with less road noise (and a lot cheaper for them too). But you know beaurocracy sometimes !

The car's going in a week Thursday for the update.

cheers again

Jet

Jet,

If your front tires severely wear out at outer edges as you explained in your earlier posts it does not matter which tires you have in your car. They will all wear out on outer edge. This will happen until you have the toe setting fixed in front.

Audi dealer can be blaming it on tires but I can assure you that there is no tire maker in the world that would allow their tires wears out prematerulely in only 8000 miles (or was it km?) and stay in business. And it surely does not make any sense that your tires wear out so fast on outer edge when rest of the tire is ok. Don't let them fool you!!!

You have an alignment issue and it most probably is too closed toe in front. Have that fixed before you get new set of rubber.

What I wrote in my earlier posts is very likely absolutely true with your vehicle.

You might be better off having your local shop set toe on outer (open) limit or even beyond that. You can first evaluate results based on tire noise and after you think it is close to ok rotate front tires to back and start observing tire wear very closely.

You can get to be very surprised when you find out how little the people who build you car really know about it.

Arrie

Arrie