Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Please help, Q7 blower motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My blower motor went out upon research seems to be an issue with the control module that causes premature failure in the motor (and will for the life of the car). I got a replacement off of Amazon for $60 with a 1 year warranty, took 45 min to install at first try and its been 18 error-free months thus far. I would recommend saving the $200+ dollars over dealer, value prop is hard to beat.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

In that pic it looks like the brushes had plenty of life and the commutator looked pretty good still. I'm sure any carbon or oxides are on it that it could be cleaned up with a little 600/800 grit sandpaper. With people saying that it squeals and varies with temp it sounds more like a bad bearing. If that's the case you could probably service the existing motor for a few bucks. The bearing codes are usually stamped on the side of the bearing to get a replacement online. If you're looking for a simple fix though it is easiest just to replace the darn thing if you can find one cheap.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I have the same issue

Originally Posted by Craig List
i have a 2009 Q7 and the air blower stopped blowing. I replaced the motor and the resistor but still not working. I checked the fuze and it is not blown... this is driving me crazy! Anybody with the same issue?
I replaced the wires between the resistor and the motor without luck.
I have the same issue. Resistor and blower replaced but still no luck. Have you sorted yours?
Old 12-26-2019, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Santorin Drm pig pal
Quick update to this thread.

I followed the instructions in this video to disassemble the glovebox and get the part number off my broken blower (took about 20 minutes going slowly):
Audi Q7 squeaky blower fan repair - YouTube

Turns out I had 7L0820021Q. Bought a replacement motor off ebay for $100 bucks shipped with a 10 year warranty from a seller called am-autoparts.

Part came in 2 days and I installed using the instructions in the same video (about 45 minutes all told). Good as new!
Is this what is sounded like when your blower motor was going? I put a video of how mine sounds, with the heat on it’s really loud now and without the heat on you can still somewhat hear it
Old 04-14-2020, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm having the same issue!
Did replacing the motor sort the problem for you?
Old 05-15-2021, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello, I need to do this replacement on my 2007 Q7. Part number 7L0820021Q for the fan. Now the question is whether the aftermarket $50 versions are a lot noisier or lower-quality than the OEM ($300) part. For instance, for a while I had an aftermarket rear wiper motor in my Q7 and it was a lot noisier than the OEM motor. Now I got a used OEM wiper motor in there again and it is a lot quieter. Does the same hold true for this blower? Thanks.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by guho
Hello, I need to do this replacement on my 2007 Q7. Part number 7L0820021Q for the fan. Now the question is whether the aftermarket $50 versions are a lot noisier or lower-quality than the OEM ($300) part. For instance, for a while I had an aftermarket rear wiper motor in my Q7 and it was a lot noisier than the OEM motor. Now I got a used OEM wiper motor in there again and it is a lot quieter. Does the same hold true for this blower? Thanks.
I can tell you that you will hear a difference. I got one from TYC and the first few months you definitely heard a difference. But as the brushes machined themselves it got quieter.
The following users liked this post:
guho (05-15-2021)
Old 01-17-2022, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Intermittent blower issues

Originally Posted by ryan2036
I have the same issue. Resistor and blower replaced but still no luck. Have you sorted yours?
I have same problem did you resolve this.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 732 Likes on 606 Posts
Default Scan For Trouble Codes!!!!

Originally Posted by Mogambo88
I have same problem did you resolve this.
Nothing works on this car if the battery management system (BMS) is unhappy. If a low battery is sensed, it shuts down all sorts of useful accessories, like the blower fan.... Invest in a VAG-compatible scantool, and see what your car can't tell you...you have to look.
Old 11-16-2023, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you end up getting the fan cage off without opening up the rest of the motor? 4L1820021B

I recently tried this surgery with my motor (teardown video coming soon....) and I wasn't able to pull the fan without completely destroying the whole thing, since I couldn't get the shaft to stop turning to get a good grip.

I ended up destructively taking apart the rest of my motor, cleaned the copper and brushes, re-lubed, and tested just the standalone motor....which then turned ok, but could not be permanently reinstalled because of having to bend the metal tabs holding the components in.

I should note that I also replaced the blower motor resistor (3C0907521F), as I have heard that sometimes the failures come in pairs, with the resistor output causing wear to the motor, making it difficult to troubleshoot.

Last edited by uconnkoala; 11-16-2023 at 11:29 AM. Reason: added some more thoughts about the blower motor resistor

Quick Reply: Please help, Q7 blower motor