Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Pls advise - buying 2015 Q7... should it be diesel or 3.0T ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pls advise - buying 2015 Q7... should it be diesel or 3.0T ?

Forum,

I'm new to Audi, although I've been a fan of the Sirocco / Quattro since '85

Wife has decided on a low milage used 2015 Q7. I am finding several from which to choose in my local market. I plan on keeping for long term and inheriting as my daily driver after my wife is done w/ it.

Next decision, should I purchase the TDI or 3.0 conventional ... Please advise.

-Thad
Old 01-01-2018, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by parker019
Forum,

Wife has decided on a low milage used 2015 Q7. I am finding several from which to choose in my local market. I plan on keeping for long term and inheriting as my daily driver after my wife is done w/ it.

-Thad
Where do you live, that might help us help you?
Old 01-01-2018, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I live in Dallas, TX. Wife will be driving kids around to school etc. about 50 miles per day. In City driving.

The 2015 TDI available do not seem to have the emissions software/hardware update as they both have engine idle RMP around 700 RMP.

If I buy a pre-owned TDI from 2015, I assume there is no 'financial payment' from Audi as I am buying after the settlement has been announced.

Pls advise!
Old 01-01-2018, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I live in Dallas, TX. Wife will be driving kids around to school etc. about 50 miles per day. In City driving.

The 2015 TDI available do not seem to have the emissions software/hardware update as they both have engine idle RMP around 700 RMP.

If I buy a pre-owned TDI from 2015, I assume there is no 'financial payment' from Audi as I am buying after the settlement has been announced.

Pls advise!
Honestly, I'm surprised no one else has piped in, but I would LOVE to trade-in my gas for a TDI - I know there is a durability bonus with the TDI but you'll pay more for diesel than gas in Dallas (when I saw prices there last week).
Old 01-02-2018, 01:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pls advise!
50 miles per day,then the TDI is a good choice,for long drive and not for short drive,i would recommend the gasoline version if you want a quite car,or driving for short distances city etc..
Old 01-02-2018, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

California is not allowing this cars to renew registration without the fix. I personally after owning 2014 JSW TDI got rid of it. I anticipate regulatory issues in the future. I frankly just don’t see the diesel advantage with the fuel cost disparity!
Old 01-02-2018, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

id get the diesel. its cheaper than premium fuel in dallas and u get the better mpg. Dieselgate knocked its value down a little bit which should put it back on par with the gasser. And around town you will see far better mpg than a heavy gasser.

having said this, i would only get the TDI if i could get a good deal for it. Overpaying up front does not justify it for me at this point
Old 01-04-2018, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Go TFi

Pls advise!
Correct, at this point the Dealership would have applied the ECM software fix for the TDI emission fix. With that said, I have a 2015 TDI and love it!!! Great diesel mileage, great performance I've had mine for almost two years now and still enjoy it. Diesel in TX is reasonable compared to gas premium , at times Diesel can be less expensive in TX. In other states I've seen Diesel be more. But remember you are getting 1.5x to 2x better gas mileage roughly, using diesel.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Go TDI

Forum,

-Thad
I have a 2015 TDI and still love it two years running. The TDI drives smooth and has that extra third row that I need at times. The Diesel engine gets great performance and has plenty of power. I am heavy footed at times but will easily get 18-20city and 28-30 hwy. I've done road trip with the cruise at 75-80mph and still pull in 30 m/p/g. Again, I love my TDI and think the whole Diesel thing was over blown if you read about it. The TDI fix is merely a software ECM fix that apples more AdBlue in idel situations is the jist of it. Good luck. Diesel engines just last longer.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I think if you live in CA diesel may be too expensive. But I live in TX and diesel is a good price per gallon, compared to what premium gas would cost.
I can great fuel efficiency for the price and awesome peformance.

Last edited by shanetex2002@yahoo.com; 01-05-2018 at 01:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Pls advise - buying 2015 Q7... should it be diesel or 3.0T ?