Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Stop-Sale initiated for all 3.0TDI vehicles in the VAG Family...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 10:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
If you dont want the fix; get the fix, take the money.. and get an aftermarket tune, and potentially delete all the emissions **** you can get away with.
What do you mean? I was actually thinking of flashing the ECU. How would that impact the fix, if I was to cash in on the settlement?
Old 05-18-2017, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by deiberson
What do you mean? I was actually thinking of flashing the ECU. How would that impact the fix, if I was to cash in on the settlement?
It would overwrite the fix, but you should only do this after your vehicle has been fixed and the money is in your pocket; or they will overwrite your flash with the fix.

Once you got your fix money; modify it.. thats what I'm going to do.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Im even more interested in what happens if you have the ecu flashed and then take the vehicle in. It has to fall in between certain parameters for mpg's and hp. So...if the resolution to the diesel issue can't meet those specs because of the ecu, then what?

I know this is a long hypothetical.....

nevermind....i see your response. it overwrites the flash.
thanks.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Im even more interested in what happens if you have the ecu flashed and then take the vehicle in. It has to fall in between certain parameters for mpg's and hp. So...if the resolution to the diesel issue can't meet those specs because of the ecu, then what?

I know this is a long hypothetical.....
Flash it now and take it to a dealer; then your vehicle will be forever marked as MODIFIED/TUNED and a large portion of there liability is disoved (TD1 Flag, google it).. then they might just say **** you, we dont have to fix this.

I've heard reports of Tuned 2.0L TDI's going in for the 2nd gen fix; then having problems afterwords and being told.. tough ****, fix was for unmodified cars.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I understand. But the guidelines at one point had to be amended because people were returning the cars without doors, seats, etc....the vehicle just had to be running.

Likewise with the 3L's. I couldn't even certify my Q7 because it is automatically under warranty with this law suit. With that being said......I was curios as to how an ecu flash would impact the claim, if at all.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I understand. But the guidelines at one point had to be amended because people were returning the cars without doors, seats, etc....the vehicle just had to be running.

Likewise with the 3L's. I couldn't even certify my Q7 because it is automatically under warranty with this law suit. With that being said......I was curios as to how an ecu flash would impact the claim, if at all.
Thats for the buyback; I gave my Stage 2 Tuned 2.0L back to VW no problems.. but it was a Gen1.. Why would you tune it though if your going to give it back?

If your taking the fix; strip the car down all you want but dont muck with any of the emissions stuff (including tuning) until after they paid you; otherwise they likely have the right to reject fixing vehicles that were modified, because they have to warranty the fix and who knows what your tune did to that DPF that they now own for the next 60k miles IIRC.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

got it.
my angle was that, if the car was tuned and that prohibited VW from falling into the parameters established by the courts, would that force the settlement of "modification" to become one of "buyback", since they couldn't get the hp or mpg's to align with the contract?
i'm not sure if that makes sense the way I explained it. however, you're saying that they could simply wipe the tune if they needed to and therefore it fall back into alignment with the fix.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No, the parameters are against the stock tune as they sold it, and will be verified independently by EPA/CARB.. If they meet the requirements in a timely fashion; there will never be a buyback option.. they dont give a crap what your car puts out; they wont be testing it.. that'll be completed well before you get your fix.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

3.0T VWOA/AOA Claim Registration Open:

https://claims.vwgoa.com/#/
Old 05-18-2017, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

$8481.74 for my 2014 P+ to get the mod and another $1500 from Bosch on top of that.

Grey

Quick Reply: Stop-Sale initiated for all 3.0TDI vehicles in the VAG Family...