Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Ventilated Seat Adequacy

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ventilated Seat Adequacy

Anyone have issues with how well the ventilated seats provide cooling?

I have the 2015 Q7 S-line. With the flow at 6, I can barely feel any cooling. I hear the fan at levels 5 & 6, just really don't feel any airflow (used to feel airflow in my 2010 RX350 seats).

Also, where is the air coming from; cabin, outside, other? Maybe the air intake is blocked (if that's even possible)?
Old 06-23-2015, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm sure it's just recirculating internal cabin air, and it ain't much. I can't feel a breeze either.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

The ventilated seats in my wife's 2014 Kia Sorento work much better than my Q7.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The output is barely a whisper in mine.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

if you're wearing anything thicker than suit pants or your wife is wearing something thicker than a dress/skirt you will barely feel the ventilation. you will definitely hear the fans when you lean forward or reach for anything but if you are looking for a quick cool down it isn't happening. it will eventually cool you off but not instantly. it does however work better than the e70 x5 seats but in their defense they offer an active seat (massage feature) and Q7 doesnt.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not an option in the UK so cant comment.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

The ventilated seats are not designed to cool but to pull moisture away from your body (the fans pull air in, not push air out through the holes). Since the air circulated is the same as the cabin temp you won't notice a drop in the ventilation temp until the AC has cooled the interior. Not the greatest design perhaps, but it is what it is.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sometimes I wonder where we are in the world. I saw a clip on the news last night of a 2 year old boy in Yemen who had burns from a missile attack over most of the front of his body and there is no proper medication available.

Seeing a child writhing in agony somewhat diminishes the importance of the relative effectiveness of seat ventilation don't you think?
Old 06-24-2015, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edd W
Sometimes I wonder where we are in the world. I saw a clip on the news last night of a 2 year old boy in Yemen who had burns from a missile attack over most of the front of his body and there is no proper medication available.

Seeing a child writhing in agony somewhat diminishes the importance of the relative effectiveness of seat ventilation don't you think?
Edd- I appreciate the contributions you routinely bring to this forum and understand what you're saying here, but in the big picture, you could make the same argument with just about any of the forum posts relating to any questions/problems we have with our luxury vehicle (Audi/Q7) vis-a-vis true real world tragedies that happen on a daily basis.
I don't mean to make a cynical point here, I just wouldn't call out the OP for asking a legitimate question about a feature on his Q7, in a Q7 owner forum when every other "problem" post here pales in comparison to what happened the 2 yr old boy in Yemen. I completely agree that 1st world societies have it FAR better than most of it's members realize, and I try to remind my kids of that every time they complain about the most trivial thing.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't have them in the Q7, but have them in my CC (plus oooh...massage function). It works, but in that vehicle application they are strictly exchanging ambient air from the occupant cell- I don't know if it's the same set up with the Q7. With mine, the intake is at the bottom area of the front seat, so if I want more "active" cooling, I route the AC to the floor ducting so it feeds the intake area at the front of the seat with cooler air.
In any case, it works well enough for me to stay dry and comfortable in the summer heat, though I can only hear the fan and barely feel the flow coming from the seat perforations. It is a feature that I could live without, but that option availability will still be a determining factor in the next car I get.

Quick Reply: Ventilated Seat Adequacy