Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2017 Flex pipe broken again after 30k miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by richsurf
So I just ordered both pipes, new gaskets, new clamps from genuineaudiparts with free shipping and the total was 782.18.
Does anyone have an idea what the labor cost would be if one were to take it to a shop for removal and replacement?
You have already know that these ultra-sensitive pipes needs to be tightened at a sequence per audi instruction. Make sure the technician is aware. The flex pipes needs to be at a relaxing state and not to be forced upon.
You could do it yourself. This is the easiest r&r exhaust job. Like you mentioned, the hardest part eas removing the old clamps. Once that is out, everything is a breeze.
Old 05-14-2024, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by IntheQ5
You have already know that these ultra-sensitive pipes needs to be tightened at a sequence per audi instruction. Make sure the technician is aware. The flex pipes needs to be at a relaxing state and not to be forced upon.
You could do it yourself. This is the easiest r&r exhaust job. Like you mentioned, the hardest part eas removing the old clamps. Once that is out, everything is a breeze.
the technician is me so I am well aware.
I was just curious about the general cost and what I’m saving myself.

Last edited by richsurf; 05-14-2024 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by richsurf
the technician is me so I am well aware.
I was just curious about the general cost and what I’m saving myself.
I'm taking mine in next week. I'll let you know. I don't have a hoist and I'm too old to try and crawl under the car, or I'd do it myself.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well today I found that where the crack is someone had already welded a different crack. You can see it aft of the crack.
so now I’ll need to grind it all off and start over.
also can someone explain the logic I using three different types of fasteners on the small cover.

Last edited by richsurf; 05-18-2024 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-18-2024, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got the exhaust off and lookie what I found. Not only was the weld repair bad but the mechanic did not even bother taking it off. It is nearly broken through the entire circumference.
A little weld will do ya!
I will stop drill the cracks and tack everything into its place then weld with stainless as needed.
I am not sure of the grade but it looks like 409 since it has telltale leopard spots.
I have compatible weld wire.
The top two pics are the underside and the lowers are the top of the tubing.

Old 05-18-2024, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Did the vehicle involved in a crash where someone would rear end and bent the exhaust? Never seen an exhaust cracked like that, not in this age at least.
Old 05-18-2024, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by IntheQ5
Did the vehicle involved in a crash where someone would rear end and bent the exhaust? Never seen an exhaust cracked like that, not in this age at least.
No crash that I know of. If there were I believe both pipes would have been affected. At the clamp area there is stress that over time may cause cracking. Obviously the welder did a poor job and anything he missed just got worse. The flex pipe failure could also have contributed to the stress.
according to the TSB you need to tighten things in sequence, I’m sure they were not.

Last edited by richsurf; 05-19-2024 at 04:42 AM.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

I over-welded which is often not a good idea but I went across the main one with a few beads. I think it will provide extra strength. Not pretty but it will work. It’s a tough place to work since the pipes are close. I added some high temp paint for a little extra covering.

Old 05-22-2024, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

I took off the tips to clean them and found more corrosion and cracking. First off. The NORMA clamps were disintegrating. I called them and it is too much trouble getting an exact replacement. So I got some on amazon made of 304 stainless compared to 409 as the originals are. I changed the nut and washer to stainless. Here’s what I found on the right side: the tip under the clamp was cracked all the way through so badly there’s no saving it. I found a used one on eBay. Second there were many micro-cracks on the main exhaust tube. I stop drilled them and will weld/grind them smooth. The left tip only had three cracks so drilling them should help. Nothing on the exhaust tube. Who knew this would bring out so many defects?

Last edited by richsurf; 05-23-2024 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OP here, I got the car back yesterday. I provided all the parts (front right muffler/flex pipe, mount, gasket = ~$400). My guy charged $51 for labor. I gave him a copy of the Service Bulletin which he said he followed. And problem solved, no noise or rattle.

I don't expect to have to deal with this again anytime soon, since we're likely to get a newer Q7 in the near future. But then it will be some other problem, I'm sure.

Thanks for all the advise!

Quick Reply: 2017 Flex pipe broken again after 30k miles