Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2017 Q7 BRAKE ISSUES, NO FIX IN SIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

We just traded our 2017 Q7 with about 37k miles on it. Brakes had started squeaking for the first time in the few weeks leading up to trading it in for a 2018. On my previous Audi's it has been an intermittent issue. The hard stop from 40-50mph has always helped. Sometimes temporarily, sometimes more long term. It certainly has always been more of an issue in the cold. Not a squeak though through this cold streak on either the new Q7 or my S5 SB!
Old 01-04-2018, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ordered a Q7 2018 due end of Q1 Anyone have experience with Q7 18's have the same squeal
Wonder if I should recant ... I had a VW station-wagon in the 80's that sounded like like a nails on a choke board -.......... hatted it
Old 01-04-2018, 06:38 AM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I received my 2018 Q7 on 12/26, and brakes are PERFECT... no noise. Temps have been in the 60's during the day, but we have a weird "San Clemente Fog" that can have a tiny bit of salt in the air... this sometimes gives the disc rotors a layer of rust color overnight while parked and this can cause a squeal the first time used in the morning... BUT SO FAR, we have not had this happen on the Q7.. perfectly quiet brakes.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JONPRAC
well let me update my starting post. I had it out with audi usa they are useless until you back them to the wall. I told them they had 2 choices change my pads all around or buy the car back. Well they changed the pads on all 4 and its quiet. I asked them for a doc saying the car was safe to drive and they could not produce one so they went with the pad change. They are well aware of the issue and if people dont make noise they will shuss you every time you show up. I will never buy an Audi product again and the way they handled this was awful when we have an issue with a brand new car they should change what ever needs changed to make the customer happy we should not have to jump trough hoops and bad mouth the brand to get something done. In the beginning they said its normal its performance pads i called there bluff and came back with a 911 turbo and said these are performance pads and there quiet he just sat there with his mouth open. so make some noise people.......
But what did your Lemon Law Lawyers tell you?
Old 01-04-2018, 08:44 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by timshuwy
I received my 2018 Q7 on 12/26, and brakes are PERFECT... no noise. Temps have been in the 60's during the day, but we have a weird "San Clemente Fog" that can have a tiny bit of salt in the air... this sometimes gives the disc rotors a layer of rust color overnight while parked and this can cause a squeal the first time used in the morning... BUT SO FAR, we have not had this happen on the Q7.. perfectly quiet brakes.
As I mentioned in another thread/post for us they were quiet for the first approx 3,500 miles, but once the weather turned very cold here that's when the noise began. But it does go away once they warm up.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a 2017 Q7 with the same squealing brakes in reverse problem. It's been over a year that I've been dealing with it. My local dealership initially changed the brake pads and rotors, but the squealing continued. The service manager recently told me that the hold up is that Audi in Germany is working on the solution and they are slow. The solutions I was offered were: 1) change the brake pads to after market pads which allegedly won't squeal but won't have the same performance as the current pads; or 2) park my car in the garage backwards so I don't have to use reverse when the breaks are cold. For the love...a $65k car that can't be pulled forward into the garage. Maybe Audi could just send everyone a pair of noise cancelling headphones. After 20 years of owning BMWs, this was my first Audi. And my last.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by klemke
I also have a 2017 Q7 with the same squealing brakes in reverse problem. It's been over a year that I've been dealing with it. My local dealership initially changed the brake pads and rotors, but the squealing continued. The service manager recently told me that the hold up is that Audi in Germany is working on the solution and they are slow. The solutions I was offered were: 1) change the brake pads to after market pads which allegedly won't squeal but won't have the same performance as the current pads; or 2) park my car in the garage backwards so I don't have to use reverse when the breaks are cold. For the love...a $65k car that can't be pulled forward into the garage. Maybe Audi could just send everyone a pair of noise cancelling headphones. After 20 years of owning BMWs, this was my first Audi. And my last.
Parking in reverse does not work. At least for my car, it squeals when going forward after being parked for a while.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:09 PM
jlc
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hammer458
Ordered a Q7 2018 due end of Q1 Anyone have experience with Q7 18's have the same squeal
Wonder if I should recant ... I had a VW station-wagon in the 80's that sounded like like a nails on a choke board -.......... hatted it
Our Q7 and S4 are both MY 2018s (both delivered Oct 2017); the former has ~3k mi, and the latter 1100 mi. Both have developed the first-start squeal, though the Q7 is vastly worse. Otoh, we are in CT and upstate NY, which are obscenely cold right now. Also: if you need a 3-row vehicle, are there really better options? (I hate driving large vehicles but genuinely needed the extra row, and test-drove pretty much everything on the market that had AWD. I didn't come across anything that handled and felt better than the Q7. IMO, better to get the Q7 and pay to replace the brakes when the squealing starts, than to get something that feels sloppy. If you don't need the 3rd row but prefer a higher ride height--I imagine an SQ5 or Cayenne would be more fun. )
Old 01-04-2018, 11:17 PM
jlc
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by manguyen
Parking in reverse does not work. At least for my car, it squeals when going forward after being parked for a while.
Same here--I back into my driveway 98% of the time, and when I leave again (driving forward), the brakes squeal.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Same Issue

We've had the exact same experience on a 2017 Q7. The noise is horrific and embarrassing everywhere you go. Ours came on at around 15K miles and just got progressively worse until 22K miles. Been to the dealer several times for this and the noisy sunroof issue, as well as failed steering column. Ours got in a wreck and got totaled, now looking for a new ride. After a 90, several A4s and an S5 that have all been pretty solid, the allure has faded due to this car and Audi's response. Now looking at MDX, X5, Atlas, Volvo.... sigh.

Quick Reply: 2017 Q7 BRAKE ISSUES, NO FIX IN SIGHT