Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2018 Q7 'wanders'

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dasaint
No wandering for me. I even barely get ping pong. Only gripe I have is car pulls left as soon as traffic stop and go engage from a stop. I am assuming its trying g to center itself but still.
thanks. will report back
Old 12-30-2018, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

And don't forget you set Auto Lane Assist to early or late intervention through the settings. So if it bounces around too much, first set it to late intervention and see if you can cope with that. IMHO, late is far better than early.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 911eric
And don't forget you set Auto Lane Assist to early or late intervention through the settings. So if it bounces around too much, first set it to late intervention and see if you can cope with that. IMHO, late is far better than early.
Do you find that it does not deviate as far from the lane center when set to late? Thanks.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

Why is it thant nobody would simply tell you to turn off "lane assist"? It is simple! Just push the button on the end of the turn signal stalk. That is if as a "race car driver" you know where the turn signal stalk is located (LOL).
Old 12-30-2018, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AUDIQSS
Why is it thant nobody would simply tell you to turn off "lane assist"? It is simple! Just push the button on the end of the turn signal stalk. That is if as a "race car driver" you know where the turn signal stalk is located (LOL).
That also deletes the Lane Assist function. Kind of like removing the engine to reduce noise
Old 12-30-2018, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default pinballing down the freeway....

Originally Posted by 911eric
I have to admit that I was very disappointed in the lane assist function.... When I turned it on I had to fight it down the freeway to keep the car in the center of the road. I agree with others turning it on while going down the freeway would be a great way to get pulled over for a DUI... I will try the early / late setting function.... My daughters Escalade has the same problem. I really do like the auto pilot breaking function... It works really well ... except when someone does a lane change right in front of you... It seems to have a 1 second delay in the breaking response time.

Regarding the steering; I traded my 2008 A6 (and a 2000 A6 before that ) for the 2018 Q7 and the first thing I noticed was the difference in the steering between the two cars... With the A6 I almost did not have to think about driving the car down the freeway. The steering feedback was so precise that I could feel every minor directional movement and could almost drive with muscle memory. With the Q7 I don't get the steering feedback it is like I am driving a video game... Guess I will get use to it...

Old 12-30-2018, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 500c
i would be THRILLED if you're onto something. i did not know that this 'feature' could be disabled. remind me how (itmt i'll recheck the owner's manual), thank you, tom
After a number of my complaints, Audi and the dealer performed a wheel alignment, sensor alignment and apparently changed some constants in the driver assist system. That made a marked improvement in the lane assist performance.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default report on driving mode changes etc to cure wandering

Originally Posted by rjabend
After a number of my complaints, Audi and the dealer performed a wheel alignment, sensor alignment and apparently changed some constants in the driver assist system. That made a marked improvement in the lane assist performance.
i'm replying to a few of the posts regarding this wandering. i tried changing to dynamic mode and turning off pre-sense. i did NOT yet try turning off lane-assist...i will do that too....the result?

. dynamic mode does exactly what it says it should...tightens everything up, both steering and suspension, etc. This give the illusion that this wandering is under tighter control. but, unfortunatley, it's still there, just communicated differently. i like this mode but, as always, it's the compromise between wanting a softer ride with the other benefits of the 'dynamic', a mix not possible (i have this on a ferrarri too, where it's a 'package' deal)
. i can't tell any difference by turning off pre-sense

i will persue the lane-assist idea tomorrow and report back. thanks to all
Old 01-01-2019, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default conclusion, findings

Originally Posted by rjabend
i'm replying to a few of the posts regarding this wandering. i tried changing to dynamic mode and turning off pre-sense. i did NOT yet try turning off lane-assist...i will do that too....the result?

. dynamic mode does exactly what it says it should...tightens everything up, both steering and suspension, etc. This give the illusion that this wandering is under tighter control. but, unfortunatley, it's still there, just communicated differently. i like this mode but, as always, it's the compromise between wanting a softer ride with the other benefits of the 'dynamic', a mix not possible (i have this on a ferrarri too, where it's a 'package' deal)
. i can't tell any difference by turning off pre-sense

i will persue the lane-assist idea tomorrow and report back. thanks to all
OK, here's what i've found. there is no way to turn off 'lane assist' at all. you can only change it's sensitivity. so that function is always 'enabled' but i have it 'disengaged' so i believe it should not be a factor in the wandering dilemma (however, the audi service manager says that three 'systems' are operative all the time. i WAS able to turn off pre-sense completely, but that's about it. so i don't really know what else is actually funtioning that may affect steering).

in Dynamic mode, the overall tightening-up brings a level of illusion to the control aspects of the steering, but fundamentally, i don't think actually affects tracking precision.

so, bottom line: with all the sytems calibrated, and alignment performed, and nannies turned off where possible, it still has this imprecise tracking i'm calling wandering. i'm concluding, also based on the lack of forum input re ppl having similar problems, that this is endemic to q7's and that folks in general don't regard it as a problem.

thanks all
Old 01-01-2019, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, here's what i've found. there is no way to turn off 'lane assist' at all. you can only change it's sensitivity. so that function is always 'enabled' but i have it 'disengaged' so i believe it should not be a factor in the wandering dilemma (however, the audi service manager says that three 'systems' are operative all the time. i WAS able to turn off pre-sense completely, but that's about it. so i don't really know what else is actually funtioning that may affect steering).

in Dynamic mode, the overall tightening-up brings a level of illusion to the control aspects of the steering, but fundamentally, i don't think actually affects tracking precision.

so, bottom line: with all the sytems calibrated, and alignment performed, and nannies turned off where possible, it still has this imprecise tracking i'm calling wandering. i'm concluding, also based on the lack of forum input re ppl having similar problems, that this is endemic to q7's and that folks in general don't regard it as a problem.

thanks all
Paying $$$$ for systems that don't work well and/or having to disable them is not right...I was hoping they would have, at the very least, been improved in the Q8 but they have not.

Quick Reply: 2018 Q7 'wanders'