2018 Q7 'wanders'

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 06:04 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 500c
aha
well, you can see what wheel/tire combination i have.
would you please tell us what tires your Q7 has on the 20" wheels?
Sure, the OEM Goodyear runflats...
Old 01-09-2019, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's good info. AYK R/F's have a terrible reputation, and here you are having no probs. hmm, need to think more about this?

at this point, i think i'm up against:

. the inherently sloppy steering (overboosted, electric) of the Q7
. the compromise between Comfort and Dyamic modes
. the improvement from the 3psi increase in the 21" Pirelli Scorion all--season's
. and, the complete realignment (found rt rear toe off), and recalibration of all the nannie systems

i'm out of ideas
Old 01-09-2019, 06:31 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Don't get me wrong the GY runflats are horrible, IMO they ride too stiff, If the Q7 had a place for a spare I would have changed them out a long time ago... But as far as them tramlining, and making it feel like it's wandering I haven't experienced it.. BTW, if it helps I drive in Individual or Dynamic just about all the time..
Old 01-09-2019, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by ornithology
I have a simliar problem. 21" wheels but on Blizzaks right now. Pulls to the right no matter what. I had an alignment done to it just a couple weeks ago and it was pretty zero'd in with only micro-adjustments needed. Not sure what's at play. I'll try increasing tire pressure too but I'm already at 38psi.
Actually, try to decrease pressure. Overinflated tires, low profile, hard sidewall (RF), etc. contribute to tramlining - if that's what you are experiencing.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to me, once on Blizzaks it pulls to the right despite recent alignment!!!! tire pressure is 32-33.... ill try rotating tires front to rear on each side at a time and see if that helps... but I'm pretty sure it's a tire issue rather than anything else..
Old 01-10-2019, 08:57 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

From what I had heard, it's my understanding that winter tires have a tendency to feel "floaty" at times.. I don't have winter tires, so only going by what I was told..
Old 01-11-2019, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You can create custom drive modes (individual) so you can get the tighter steering of dynamic mode and set the other options to the comfort setting.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have exactly the same issue,

The car wanders off to the right most of the time, and when I adjust to bring car back, the car goes to the left too much,

It is very hard to drive straight in this vehicle,

2018 Q7 2.0
18 inch wheels
Scorpian Verde All season run flat
Old 01-12-2019, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

When this happens, do you have "Lane Guidance" enabled?
Old 01-13-2019, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Uneven road kicks steering on 2017 Q7

Originally Posted by 500c
that's good info. AYK R/F's have a terrible reputation, and here you are having no probs. hmm, need to think more about this?

at this point, i think i'm up against:

. the inherently sloppy steering (overboosted, electric) of the Q7
. the compromise between Comfort and Dyamic modes
. the improvement from the 3psi increase in the 21" Pirelli Scorion all--season's
. and, the complete realignment (found rt rear toe off), and recalibration of all the nannie systems

i'm out of ideas
I also have what I think is the same problem on my 2017 Q7 (Prestige, air suspension). When I drive on patched backroads, the steering gets kicked all over the place and I'm constantly having to counter-steer. The problem is not so severe but still there on highways (maybe it's the higher speeds or smoother roads). My wife can even feel the steering problems while a passenger. I've got OEM 20" Pirelli Scorpion Verdi Runflats All Season. I don't think the car had this problem when completely new, but showed up when tires had ~10k miles on them. I've tried disabling the lane assist (button on end of turn-signal), checking tire pressure, changing driving modes (dynamic, etc) but it didn't fix the problem. This kick in the steering is different than the lane assist correcting the steering to keep the car in the lane. I don't have the same problem when driving my wife's 2018 Q5 (no run-flats).

The dealer claims the car drives fine. But my independent mechanic said he's heard complaints from people about Audi steering, many people have steering/handling problems with runflats, and he's also heard that Audi's air suspension may contribute to the problem. I haven't changed the tires yet to get rid of run-flats, they are not that worn, but will probably do so soon, as it is really annoying to have to constantly correct the steering while driving.

Quick Reply: 2018 Q7 'wanders'