Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2019 Q7 Oil consumption question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2023, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2019 Q7 Oil consumption question

I have a 2019 Q7 (Brand new Purchased in April 2020) currently having approximately 17400 miles. I am getting oil changes done at yearly intervals (based on reminders my car is displaying ) and not every 10K miles as I don't drive that many miles in a year. All oil changes and servicing are being done at the Dealership.

When I look at my oil level it almost at the Min level and I am due for an oil change and have an dealer appointment in a few days.
How much oil is actually consumed when the indicator level drops from Max to Min ? Are you guys seeing similar consumption for 2019 and earlier models ?
My last Oil change was at 9985 miles on 09/26/2022 , so for approximately 7415 miles and one year later , my Oil level has dropped from Max to Min.
Is this level of oil consumption normal ? I am seeing so many posts about Oil consumption issues that is requiring engine rebuilds. So that is getting me worried.

current oil level

Old 09-21-2023, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 333 Likes on 282 Posts

There is no reason for you to worry as the max and min you are seeing on the display represent only about 1 quart of oil. When the level goes to min, the car will ask you to top the oil off usually with maximum 1 quart. Total capacity is around 7 quarts. This means that your engine has consumed less than 1 quart in 7 quarts over 7,415 miles which is ok. Data shows that consumption will increase somewhere after 60,000 miles. This is when you should start to worry as consumption will increase as much as 1 quart per 1,000 miles. I recommend you enjoy the car and part ways with it right before warranty expires.
The following users liked this post:
subba (09-22-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My 2019 started consuming oil at around 75,000km (~46,000 miles) to the point where the “low engine oil” message was displayed a few times. I simply top up. Not a big deal, but not something I feel I should do at this mileage.

I reported it with my dealer and later learned that it’s common with this engine.

I intended on buying it out next month when my 4 year lease expired, but I changed my mind, partly for the oil consumption. I’m picking up a new 2023 Q7 next week and from what I’ve read, the newer gen does not have this problem. I hope. I’m not sure if the 3.0L block is different between the turbo (2023) and the supercharged (2019) versions. Time will tell!
The following 2 users liked this post by FogDucker:
Proxs (09-22-2023), subba (09-22-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

This is a common thread. The owner's manual says to "up to a quart". When my indicator comes on, I add a half a quart (a pint) and it goes up to about 3/4. This is about every 2,500 miles in current Q7 so that's a quart every 5,000. Mechanical dipsticks didn't show low until it was at an add a QUART level, so I consider adding half a quart no big deal and add oil just to turn off nagging light. Also consider that we used to change oil every 5-7,500 mi, so we almost never got to the add oil point anyway. I was not diligent about checking levels and no garage ever measures oil coming out when changing so I wonder how many times I ran low and didn't even know it. I rarely traded in a vehicle before 80,000 miles, except for atypically dreadful Honda Accord.

I don't think this a reason to trade a car in its prime of life. I hope to keep ours to 100,000 mi, or until we don't need such a large vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
subba (09-25-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I usually keep my vehicles long, at least 75-80K miles. This is my first Audi, traditionally owned Hondas, which were low maintenance vehicles. Hopefully this Q7 remains trouble free and doesn't have the oil consumption issue.

Last edited by subba; 09-25-2023 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-25-2023, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by subba
I usually keep my vehicles long, at least 75-80K miles. This is my first Audi, traditionally owned Hondas, which were low maintenance vehicles. Hopefully this Q7 remains trouble free and doesn't have the oil consumption issue.
What I am trying to say is this isn't the notorious Audi oil consumption nightmare of the 70s. It seems that German engineers accept more oil consumption than Japanese. Myth (or truth?) is that they expect people to maintain cars diligently and design for that. Japanese engineers expect people to ignore maintenance and design for that.
Old 09-26-2023, 12:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 333 Likes on 282 Posts

Wishing you luck! I suggest you reduce your oil change interval. There hasn't been any real proof that this will spare you from the oil consumption nightmare but forced induction direct injection engines are known to cause early and severe oil contamination. Contaminated oil is the source of numerous issues.

Look at the oil I extracted from my engine after barely 1000 Km (622 miles). The car mileage is high and is already having severe oil consumption issues but still. Oil is that contaminated even with at least 6 quarts top ups over that period. Oil change performed at 23:35 of the video. This is the exact same engine in your Q7. See details below.

I also recommend you plan on not keeping this car after warranty if you are leasing it. If you are financing or if you bought it, that's another story.

Thumbnail

Old 10-13-2023, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 2019 Q7 (Brand new Purchased in April 2020) currently having approximately 17400 miles. I am getting oil changes done at yearly intervals (based on reminders my car is displaying ) and not every 10K miles as I don't drive that many miles in a year. All oil changes and servicing are being done at the Dealership.

When I look at my oil level it almost at the Min level and I am due for an oil change and have an dealer appointment in a few days.
How much oil is actually consumed when the indicator level drops from Max to Min ? Are you guys seeing similar consumption for 2019 and earlier models ?
My last Oil change was at 9985 miles on 09/26/2022 calculadora taxa paypal, so for approximately 7415 miles and one year later , my Oil level has dropped from Max to Min.
Is this level of oil consumption normal ? I am seeing so many posts about Oil consumption issues that is requiring engine rebuilds. So that is getting me worried.

current oil level
Bought a new 2018 Q7. Great vehicle. Used a quart of oil in the first couple of thousand miles. I chalked it up to break-in, etc. I asked the service manage at my dealership about oil use and he said (quote) "Using 2-3 quarts oil per 10k miles is well within Audi specifications". I asked him the question several times in different ways and got the same answer. He then recommended that I carry a couple of quarts of oil with me in the car. I called Audi USA and they said, "We stand by our dealers" and wouldn't answer my question about what is the Audi spec and what my expectations should be. I'm reasonably sure that the Service Manager had been drinking at lunch, bu this is my first Audi... Comments?
Old 10-13-2023, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by irontmp
Bought a new 2018 Q7. Great vehicle. Used a quart of oil in the first couple of thousand miles. I chalked it up to break-in, etc. I asked the service manage at my dealership about oil use and he said (quote) "Using 2-3 quarts oil per 10k miles is well within Audi specifications". I asked him the question several times in different ways and got the same answer. He then recommended that I carry a couple of quarts of oil with me in the car. I called Audi USA and they said, "We stand by our dealers" and wouldn't answer my question about what is the Audi spec and what my expectations should be. I'm reasonably sure that the Service Manager had been drinking at lunch, bu this is my first Audi... Comments?
Audi states that 1 quart burned for every 1000 miles is normal. This is solely to deny coverage for an otherwise costly repair. Your oil control rings are gummed up. $$$.
Old 10-14-2023, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts

Best to dump the car before the oil consumption gets worse (usually before 100K miles). Some owners and even Audi paid $12-17K to fix it, only with the problem coming back. That engine is dead. You can read the forum thread on 3.0L oil consumption.

One owner did use BG Dynamic Engine Cleaner system (2-part liquid) to good result. BG takes no responsibility for engine damage for using it of course. The kit is around $300. Take a gamble for those out of warranty? Have a read:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...024173/page50/

Last edited by Steelcoil; 10-14-2023 at 10:03 AM.