Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

89 Octane

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 284 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
TOP TIER™ is a brand. The companies pay a fee to use the brand, and agree to use certain detergents. It doesn't mean that companies who don't pay the marketing fee don't use the same detergents. It is not like it costs anything to add the detergents - they buy the blends from the fuel depot like anyone else. Gasoline has certain mixes that are pretty standardized. This article shows how there is a summer blend and a non-summer blend, and it goes through a pipeline to be distributed to gas stations of many different brands.

https://www.reuters.com/article/stor...-idUSL2N1LK0LE
Wrong!

Costco has their brand of detergent, and they add it to the underground tank after it's filled. A computer controls the amount added.

Do you think that's free?

https://www.costcoauto.com/automotiv...gas_nozip.aspx
Old 09-03-2017, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah. Now I wonder about BJs. They are a Costco type club. While AAA found that TOP-TIER is typically only 3 cents more per gallon, BJs is more like 20-25 cents less per gallon.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sadly, BJs only claims to meet minimum EPA requirements for detergents and doesn't use their own extra detergent. So unlike Costco, they are not putting in any effort. So it is not a good choice.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This topic seems to get debated in every high-end car forum I visit. I've driven BMWs for around 20 years before crossing to the dark side and switching from the X5 to the Q7 a month ago. My philosophy has always been that I pay a higher price for a premium vehicle and want all the performance I can get. So I pay for premium.

I'll grant that the math continues to change since the gap in price between regular and premium continues to increase for some reason. Only Costco seems to have a more fair price difference. I've had zero issues with their gas and many times their premium is priced close to regular at other stations.

Locally some stations are now selling ethanol free premium. That seems to be the new trend and it's priced around 60 cents over regular. That is an entirely different subject for another thread!

I still owe a write-up on the Q7 versus the X5. I have owned around 12 X5s, so it will be a fun read (spoiler - I love the Q7)
Old 09-04-2017, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by A5007
This topic seems to get debated in every high-end car forum I visit. I've driven BMWs for around 20 years before crossing to the dark side and switching from the X5 to the Q7 a month ago. My philosophy has always been that I pay a higher price for a premium vehicle and want all the performance I can get. So I pay for premium.

I'll grant that the math continues to change since the gap in price between regular and premium continues to increase for some reason. Only Costco seems to have a more fair price difference. I've had zero issues with their gas and many times their premium is priced close to regular at other stations.

Locally some stations are now selling ethanol free premium. That seems to be the new trend and it's priced around 60 cents over regular. That is an entirely different subject for another thread!

I still owe a write-up on the Q7 versus the X5. I have owned around 12 X5s, so it will be a fun read (spoiler - I love the Q7)
I'd be curious to read your comparison. I've owned/driven BMWs for the last 17 years, and personally would have had a hard time switching brands if this were my daily driver. But even though this is my wife's primary car, I tried to convince her into an X5 (which she loved). At the end we just couldnt pull the trigger on it...the Q7 is just a nicer looking vehicle, while the X5 is very dated. I still think the X5 drives amazingly well
Old 09-04-2017, 07:16 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 284 Likes on 204 Posts

I'm fortunate that my Costco is 1.2 miles from my house, so I always refuel my vehicles early Sat/Sun morning. There's no one there, so I'm in/out quick.

I always chat with the on-duty employees, who have been there for years. I was surprised to learn they get 3-4 tanker refills a day! Gas is turned over quickly.

FWIW, their premium is $2.44 right now.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Costco Premium in MA is $2.53 now. At other stations, it is $3.09.

That's great that they don't overprice higher octane. They have about 1/3 the spread in pricing that other stations do.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I emailed BJs with this:

Hi, Can you please forward this to your gasoline buyer? I have just learned from Consumer Reports that it really makes a big difference if gasoline uses the minimum EPA detergents vs the additional detergents. I like saving money on gasoline, but now I want the cheapest gas that meets these requirements instead of just the cheapest overall. Can you please consider making your gasoline have the extra detergents that all of the major brands and also Costco uses? https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-gasoline.html AAA: Not All Gasoline Created Equal | AAA NewsRoom https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...h-extra-price/

And they replied that not only do they not plan to use TOP-TIER, but their detergents will meet EPA minimum standards (which is bad, as proven by AAA and reported by Consumer Reports).

Hello Ribert and thank you for your suggestion.

Here is all of the information we have on our gasoline.

Depending on the trade area, BJ's buys unbranded gasoline from many different suppliers, many that are national brand refiners and other smaller independent refiners and suppliers of gasoline. At this point we do not plan on selling Top Tier gasoline. At all times, though, BJ's gas maintains the strict quality guidelines established by the federal government's Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). We sell 87 Octane Regular Unleaded and 93 Octane Premium Unleaded. BJ’s gasoline contains all detergent additives required by EPA guidelines.

BJ's fuel meets or exceeds all federal regulations as to quality and specification. BJ's sites are well maintained and we take extra precautions to ensure that the gasoline going into member's vehicles is of top quality. BJ's fuel meets or exceeds all federal regulations as to quality and specification. It is sourced from major wholesalers and refiners of fuel products in the markets in which BJ's operates.

BJ's stands by its fuel quality which meets the stringent fuel standards set by the EPA and is sourced from reputable suppliers in the market. With reliability in mind, our gas is guaranteed to perform in every automobile's engine, irrespective of make, model or manufacturer. BJ's is committed to Member safety and the environment in every aspect of our gasoline business. Our fuel is guaranteed - this means that if a Member ever has a problem with their vehicle directly related to the purchase of BJ's fuel, we will take care of the problem.

Our sites are well maintained and we use fuel filters to ensure that the gasoline going into member's vehicles is of top quality. We generally use fuel filters that are designed to catch particles or debris larger than 10 microns in diameter. This is very small, or a particle as small as 10 micrometers (about the size of one particle of talcum powder). We also replace filters when flow rates fall below our requirements.

Our filters are also designed to catch water, sediment or phase-separated ethanol / water mixtures.

We have sensors in our tanks (Veeder Root) which continuously monitor underground storage tanks for water. There is no water in the product.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the good comments by everybody this thread. It's been a really good learning experience for me in determining how to fuel my new Q7.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:10 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by heisnuts
For the life of me, I have never understood why this becomes such a big issue with just about every car maker who designs their cars to run on 91 or higher, especially when the car in question usually costs over $50K.
I agree with you on this, I don't get it either but to each his own. Before I bought the vehicle I knew what the recommended octane rating was and was fine with using it. Even though the manual states I can use a lower octane I don't, others may feel I am wasting my money and that's fine, but for ME I prefer to use the higher octane.

I usually don't get into octane discussions simply because in all fairness it doesn't matter to me what gas someone puts in his or her vehicles.. If someone is comfortable putting 89 or 87 in their Q7, or any other vehicle for that fact it has no effect on me.

At least with the Q7 it is only recommended that you use the higher octane, and if you prefer you can use a lower octane and as per the manual the only effect it will have is a slight decrease in performance.

However, in some other auto forums I've read, even when the manufacturer states that "premium is required", and the manuals states that long term use of lower octane can lead to engine damage, there are always some people trying to convince everyone to use 87 because they do it and has no ill effect on the car. No thanks....

Last edited by JT4; 09-06-2017 at 05:14 AM.

Quick Reply: 89 Octane