Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

89 Octane

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Well, the sticker on the fuel door (on 3.0T) says MIN 91 AKI, 95 RON. So take it for it's worth.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

GTI had a 4 peak HP loss and 3 ft-lbs less torque when dyno tested with 87 instead of the recommended 91.

https://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/g...mktid=cj260233
Old 09-07-2017, 05:08 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceframe
There is no one trying to convince you nor anyone else to use 87. You and everyone else can use whatever you want and I don't think anyone here really cares. I asked the original question because while I am waiting for my car to arrive I wanted to investigate what fuel to buy and where to get it. I asked for others experience using 89 and I got what I was looking for. The discussion was very helpful to me and in fact I have changed my position of what I am going to use.

If you are bored with it or don't like the discussion then don't click on the topic. This is an open forum. I appreciate the people that have posted positive comments both for and against using 87, 91 or whatever.
You apparently didn't fully read my post so let me refresh your memory.

Originally Posted by JT4
I agree with you on this, I don't get it either but to each his own. Before I bought the vehicle I knew what the recommended octane rating was and was fine with using it. Even though the manual states I can use a lower octane I don't, others may feel I am wasting my money and that's fine, but for ME I prefer to use the higher octane.

I usually don't get into octane discussions simply because in all fairness it doesn't matter to me what gas someone puts in his or her vehicles.. If someone is comfortable putting 89 or 87 in their Q7, or any other vehicle for that fact it has no effect on me.

At least with the Q7 it is only recommended that you use the higher octane, and if you prefer you can use a lower octane and as per the manual the only effect it will have is a slight decrease in performance.

However, in some other auto forums I've read, even when the manufacturer states that "premium is required", and the manuals states that long term use of lower octane can lead to engine damage, there are always some people trying to convince everyone to use 87 because they do it and has no ill effect on the car. No thanks....
Where did I say in my post above that anyone on THIS board was trying to convince me or anyone else to use 87, did I not reference OTHER forums???

If you would have read my post correctly, you would have seen that what I said was that on OTHER forums I've read, there are people trying to convince others to use 87, when in fact the owners manual of a specific make / model states that long term use of 87 can cause engine damage. IMO (which I am entitled to) it is ridiculous for someone to try and convince others to use 87 when the manufacturer specifies that premium grade is required, not recommended, required. Two different things..

In addition, I even said that this is not the case with the Q7 since premium grade is only recommended and not required. But I guess you missed that part too....

Last edited by JT4; 09-07-2017 at 06:20 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I tried using premium for a couple tankfuls; I could not tell the difference in performance. Thereafter I chose to use regular. I put over 19000 miles on the 2017 Q7 and I don't regret not using premium one bit. Premium fuel has about a 25%+ up-charge around here and is generally 91 octane vs. 87 octane of regular. There are some places you can get 93 octane but I have never tried that.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucci
I tried using premium for a couple tankfuls; I could not tell the difference in performance. Thereafter I chose to use regular. I put over 19000 miles on the 2017 Q7 and I don't regret not using premium one bit. Premium fuel has about a 25%+ up-charge around here and is generally 91 octane vs. 87 octane of regular. There are some places you can get 93 octane but I have never tried that.
93 octane is available just about anywhere here in SC but I cannot tell any performance difference between 93 and 91. I have now run 2 tankfuls of 87 and mileage is the same as 93 or 91 octane. I was talking to a friend of mine who works for Bosch here in Charleston. They do a lot of fuel testing for the US bound Audis and VW because they provide the fuel injectors for VW/Audi and he said that besides the performance gain from using premium, the premium that most but not all gas stations provide will usually have more detergents and anti-knock properties in them. This is more for the older vehicles. If you want peak performance premium is recommended but for everyday driving, 87 octane will be fine. I will probably alternate and definitely use premium when towing. He also mentioned the Mazda CX-9, which states you can use either grade. Use regular and HP is 227. Use premium, HP is 250. MPG is the same for either grade. My wife has a 2016 CX-9 and has always put regular in it.

Let me say that I'm not advocating using regular vs premium. I'm just providing information from an engineer that works for Bosch. You guys should use what you're comfortable with. I've been driving diesel Touaregs since 2006 and still having a hard time with the lower fuel mileage of my Q7. Even my V10 Touareg TDI got better mileage than the Q7. Oh well.

Last edited by jrtouareg; 09-16-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jrtouareg
They do a lot of fuel testing for the US bound Audis and VW because they provide the fuel injectors for VW/Audi and he said that besides the performance gain from using premium, the premium that most but not all gas stations provide will usually have more detergents and anti-knock properties in them.
Premium, being higher octane, has more anti-knock properties. That is why it can produce more power in high-compression engines - because it allows the engine to advance the timing more than fuel with lower octane. However, the top 51 brands of fuel have all agreed to use the same detergent level in 87 as in premium - so there are no more detergents.

CX-9, by the way, uses 87 octane. It does not produce more HP with Premium.

This is from the 2017 owner's manual:

Last edited by rsilvers129; 09-16-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
CX-9, by the way, uses 87 octane. It does not produce more HP with Premium.

This is from the 2017 owner's manual:

Don't know where you got that but I will take a picture of the moroney sticker that came with my wife's car and also the youtube link with the Mazda engineer explaining the difference in power when using regular vs premium. I'm not a moron and actually have an engineering degree and have been racing cars and motorcycles for over 30 yrs and have probably owned more cars than your age. So what's up with your questioning people's posts. I was only providing information and actually own both the cars. Only thing you've done is do searches on google and believe everything you read. Sorry, but you're acting like a millenial.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here's the quote from Mazda brochure from 2016:

"the 2016 Mazda CX-9 is equipped with a 2.5-liter turbocharged engine. It will run fine on regular (87 octane) fuel, but the engine’s electronic systems limit it to only 227 horsepower.

With premium (93 octane) in the tank, the engine can reach its maximum output of 250 horsepower (translation: faster).

Using regular fuel in a premium-recommended vehicle won’t cause damage or affect performance long term, because your car’s computer recognizes the potential engine knock caused by low-octane fuel and adjusts its ignition accordingly. This ignition adjustment leads to the reduced horsepower output of the engine."
Old 09-16-2017, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here's the link to car and driver test of the CX-9:
2016 Mazda CX-9 First Drive ? Review ? Car and Driver

They make it a point to describe the HP rating s when using regular and when using premium. You want more proof?
Old 09-16-2017, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That is an image of the Mazda 2017 CX-9 owner's manual.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with questioning a post when it is in conflict with the owner's manual. Turns out the manual was incomplete though. You were correct.

Quick Reply: 89 Octane