Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

ACC and Traffic Jam Assist

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think when I looked into it, just talking to a passenger is as distracting as talking on a cell phone.

Hands-free vs holding the phone makes no difference. Which is why the ban on holding a phone is so stupid. It doesn't distract you more than hands free talking, and not more than holding anything else like a drink.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
I think when I looked into it, just talking to a passenger is as distracting as talking on a cell phone.

Hands-free vs holding the phone makes no difference. Which is why the ban on holding a phone is so stupid. It doesn't distract you more than hands free talking, and not more than holding anything else like a drink.
Only for idiot drivers that have to look at the passenger to talk to them.

Hands free/ Bluetooth doesn't involve your hands which are supposed to be used for driving, indicating, steering etc.. you can easily stop talking and concentrate 100% as opposed to having to put the phone down to be able to drive.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
Only for idiot drivers that have to look at the passenger to talk to them.

Hands free/ Bluetooth doesn't involve your hands which are supposed to be used for driving, indicating, steering etc.. you can easily stop talking and concentrate 100% as opposed to having to put the phone down to be able to drive.
Not forgetting texting, reading mail/texts, etc
Old 08-16-2017, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
The "limit" should be the limit. Meaning, if you are in a Porsche 911, an experienced driver, the road is empty, you have new tires, and it is perfect weather - then go the limit. For other situations you stay below the limit.

Still, you have to co-exist with other cars, so 85 mph is a reasonable limit for most large highways.
Here in Tx, there are 2 way roads with 75mph speed limits
Old 08-16-2017, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

It would seem that ACC would be more useful in more crowded areas, while in more rural areas, the feature would not be used as much?
Old 08-16-2017, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by hkn125
It would seem that ACC would be more useful in more crowded areas, while in more rural areas, the feature would not be used as much?
Audi doesn't give you a choice, it's ACC or nothing and yes, ACC doesn't do squat unless there is a car in front of you. I have a choice of CC or ACC in my Acura but I never switch to CC because ACC is, well, automatic.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife's car has ACC and I find that it always slows me down on the highway. By the time I realize the car ahead is going slower than I have set the cruise control for I am going 10 mph slower and I need to pass. Unless there is a lot of traffic, I just turn adaptive off drive with standard cruise control. Does the Q7 allow for the adaptive control part to be turned off? I just read thru this section of the manual and can't see where it says it can be turned off.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Spaceframe
My wife's car has ACC and I find that it always slows me down on the highway. By the time I realize the car ahead is going slower than I have set the cruise control for I am going 10 mph slower and I need to pass. Unless there is a lot of traffic, I just turn adaptive off drive with standard cruise control. Does the Q7 allow for the adaptive control part to be turned off? I just read thru this section of the manual and can't see where it says it can be turned off.
See previous post
Old 08-19-2017, 11:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DB22
Audi doesn't give you a choice, it's ACC or nothing and yes, ACC doesn't do squat unless there is a car in front of you. I have a choice of CC or ACC in my Acura but I never switch to CC because ACC is, well, automatic.
Not sure if the US version is different but this isn’t the case on UK models. Q7’s ACC (compared to my previous 2011 X5) is that it uses map data (as well as speed sign recognition) to alter the speed of the car. The car will slow down for sharp bends or roundabouts.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by srbsq7
Not sure if the US version is different but this isn’t the case on UK models. Q7’s ACC (compared to my previous 2011 X5) is that it uses map data (as well as speed sign recognition) to alter the speed of the car. The car will slow down for sharp bends or roundabouts.
Yes, in the US models the option to adapt cruise control to upcoming road signs can be selected under settings.

Quick Reply: ACC and Traffic Jam Assist