Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Added a hitch-mounted "step" for some extra bumper protection

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A bumperbully, or something similar, is an easier solution. It's a thick rubber mat that flips out from the trunk when you park and you flip it back inside the trunk before you leave the parking spot. It attaches with velcro, which is an issue because the carpet pile in the Q7 is thin and velcro doesn't attach well, until I realized I can thread the straps into a gap in the cargo area floor.

Bumper Bully - Outdoor Parking Bumper Protector, Bumper Protection, Rear Bumper Guard
Old 09-13-2017, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am valet parking in NY next week and I am going to make a 15 second video around the car as I hand them the keys.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

If there is damage, pictures may not matter in NYC as most garages have signs indicating they aren't responsible for cosmetic damage. Picture taking could make the valet nervous and more careful with your car, so it's still potentially worth doing. From my experience, the most common issue is bumper damage with valet garage parking, as they tend to really pack in vehicles. Unfortunately, there are very few self park lots in NYC. The only one I'm aware of is at the Target off FDR in East Harlem and I'm not sure if that lot allows vehicles to stay over night.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by drive4fun
A bumperbully, or something similar, is an easier solution. It's a thick rubber mat that flips out from the trunk when you park and you flip it back inside the trunk before you leave the parking spot. It attaches with velcro, which is an issue because the carpet pile in the Q7 is thin and velcro doesn't attach well, until I realized I can thread the straps into a gap in the cargo area floor.
I'm curious how that is easier than something that you mount once and leave in place. It also has the minor drawbacks of taking up some trunk space, and transferring any outside moisture/dirt inside.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I park in a garage, so the bumperbully doesn't get particularly dirty. It requires you have some cargo space to put it back in the trunk, but once it's there it basically takes no trunk space as it's just a half inch or so mat made of rubber.

Aside from the aesthetics, which I don't like, I see several issues with having something sticking out of car, particularly in an urban area like NYC. Number one, if this appendage causes a valet to damage another car, he or she is going to be pissed, and if you are a monthly parker, you don't want your garage pissed at you. Number two, if you parallel park in a space and a person goes into the spot behind you at a later point in time, this step is very low to the ground, he or she may not see it, and then may damage his or her car. This person is going to be pissed, and I've seem some very strange decisions made by upset people in NYC. Number three, because this step is so low to the ground, other vehicles such as pick up trucks or large SUVs may just ride over it. A rubber mat doesn't have any of these issues.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

I put a D-Ring hitch on mine for the same reasons, I was leaving the trailer hitch on for some rear protection but kept smacking my shins into it.. the D-Ring is much smaller, but still the furthest point back so its going to be the first to make contact with some idiot in a parking lot.. My sister recently got into an accident into a parking lot, her rear bumper destroyed.. the other guys front bumper destroyed, if she had ANYTHING in her reciever she'd of came out unscathed..

I thought about one of these but it seemed like it would do even more damage to my shins than anything else.. Mebe I'll get my sister one for Xmas tho.

Attachment 102724
Old 09-13-2017, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by drive4fun
I park in a garage, so the bumperbully doesn't get particularly dirty. It requires you have some cargo space to put it back in the trunk, but once it's there it basically takes no trunk space as it's just a half inch or so mat made of rubber.

Aside from the aesthetics, which I don't like, I see several issues with having something sticking out of car, particularly in an urban area like NYC. Number one, if this appendage causes a valet to damage another car, he or she is going to be pissed, and if you are a monthly parker, you don't want your garage pissed at you. Number two, if you parallel park in a space and a person goes into the spot behind you at a later point in time, this step is very low to the ground, he or she may not see it, and then may damage his or her car. This person is going to be pissed, and I've seem some very strange decisions made by upset people in NYC. Number three, because this step is so low to the ground, other vehicles such as pick up trucks or large SUVs may just ride over it. A rubber mat doesn't have any of these issues.
Good points. Pissing people off unnecessarily is part of why I didn't want the one that looks like a weapon, and the bumper bully is certainly even more innocuous than any step.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cosmokitty
Good points. Pissing people off unnecessarily is part of why I didn't want the one that looks like a weapon, and the bumper bully is certainly even more innocuous than any step.
i agree that this thingy is too aggressive and if my bumper get dented by this thingy (my fault or not) I will definately key the other car like hell

Last edited by javp1; 09-13-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by javp1
i agree that this thingy is too aggressive and if my bumper get dented by this thingy (my fault or not) I will definately key the other car like hell
You sir are a giant Douche.. I'd never key anyone's car, but if someone keyed my car for their own stupidity, I'd probably drive this thing so far into your radiator your engine pops out the hood.

How about ya learn to park w/out hitting anything?
Old 09-13-2017, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
You sir are a giant Douche.. I'd never key anyone's car, but if someone keyed my car for their own stupidity, I'd probably drive this thing so far into your radiator your engine pops out the hood.

How about ya learn to park w/out hitting anything?
There are other parts could act as a protector rather than like a weapon. My car has the weathertech bumper step as a protector rather than a weapon. I know how to park, but I am sure many others don't and get offended if get hitted. There is still a chance this thing can rear to someone's front than getting reared

Quick Reply: Added a hitch-mounted "step" for some extra bumper protection