Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Aftermarket trailer hitch now available

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 04:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing this. One part that I don't understand is what fascia needs to be trimmed. The picture in the instructions doesn't make that really clear. Can you provide some details about this?

Could you do it all with a dremel? How visible is this fascia once the install is complete (if it's not a great cut, will it be visible?)

Originally Posted by DAL3.4
Last week, etrailer.com just began selling an aftermarket trailer hitch for the 2017 Q7.

I've been looking for a solution other than the super-high-priced factory hitch and stumbled upon this one just a few hours after it was released.

https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2017_Audi_Q7.htm

Here are the instructions:
http://www.draw-tite.com/support/ins...ion/N76076.pdf

I ordered it and installed it yesterday. It's not a job for the faint of heart because it requires removing the entire rear bumper cover and the bumper beam. The hitch gets sandwiched between the bumper beam and the chassis. I've done other projects like this in the past, so I was willing to take it on. It took me a total of about 3 hours from start to finish.

A small section of the fascia needs to be cut and I did that with an air cutoff wheel. The instructions mention using tin snips, but I didn't find them to work well. The cut-off wheel worked great and I did final trimming with a dremel grinding wheel since I had to relieve the fascia a bit more than the instructions mentioned, I was able to do the final sizing after the bumper cover was back in place.

All in all, it was a straightforward job, but you'll want to be really careful in removing and supporting the bumper cover as it's really easy to scratch or damage it or the wiring harness that is attached to it. I was able to prop it up with boxes so that I did not have to separate the harness from the bumper cover.

We're just using it with a hitch-mounted bike rack, so I did not look into the options for wiring a

harness.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks too low to me and it's pretty obvious where and why cutting is needed by the last picture.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry for the late reply. Everything was OEM.

Hitch Kit p/n: 4M0092115
Valence (hands free option) p/n: 4M0807434J KA8

My dealer that installed it is the only one in San Antonio, TX.

Again, this was an OEM and dealership install, post delivery.

P.S. Please don't mind the dirtiness; lots of rain lately! ;-)

Last edited by drkknte; 08-27-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

@beefcake - Figure 3 in the instructions shows the area that needs to be cut pretty clearly. You remove the rectangle are that is between the white tape shown in Fig 3. Those dimensions got me in the ballpark, but I had to grind a bit more away to give some more clearance so the fascia was not pressing on the hitch. I was able to do that after the fascia was installed by pulling it down and working carefully with a grinding wheel on the Dremel.

You might be able to do the whole thing with a Dremel, but it will be challenging as the fascia material is pretty thick. My cut came out really clean - it might be tougher to do it so cleanly with only a Dremel. I think you'd notice a poor cut if you're looking for it, but it depends on how picky you are.

Originally Posted by beefcake`
Thanks for sharing this. One part that I don't understand is what fascia needs to be trimmed. The picture in the instructions doesn't make that really clear. Can you provide some details about this?

Could you do it all with a dremel? How visible is this fascia once the install is complete (if it's not a great cut, will it be visible?)
Old 08-27-2016, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by drkknte
Sorry for the late reply. Everything was OEM.

Hitch Kit p/n: 4M0092115
Valence (hands free option) p/n: 4M0807434J KA8

My dealer that installed it is the only one in San Antonio, TX.

Again, this was an OEM and dealership install, post delivery.

P.S. Please don't mind the dirtiness; lots of rain lately! ;-)
@drkknte - Would you mind sharing what it cost to install the hitch (parts and labor)? Thanks!
Old 08-27-2016, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by peruchin
@drkknte - Would you mind sharing what it cost to install the hitch (parts and labor)? Thanks!
I have good relations with my dealer and received a deep discount on the whole project, however I do know the bases prices.

(Just a fair warning to anyone thinking about getting a hitch when placing your Q7 order, just do it and save yourself about $2000!)

The OEM hitch kit is $1095; that includes the hitch reciever, draw bar, hitch ball, hitch pin, 7-pin plug, hitch cover and software. The valence replacement for hand free option was $549. Labor is rated at 4-6 hours due to the physical install, software install and the recalibration of the rear sensors. My Q7 took a little longer being the first one done, but again that was discounted. Labor cost is vastly different from dealership to dealership but I would say anywhere from $80-$120 an hour.

So with no perks, your probably looking at $2000-$2500 for post delivery OEM install. All warranted as a genuine, dealer installed accessory for piece of mind.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Have you noticed any change in handling with your new hitch installed but no bikes on?
Old 05-05-2017, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Hands free tailgate working?

Originally Posted by DAL3.4
The instruction are pretty descriptive with great photos that you can enlarge on your computer or tablet.

All I can say on removing the bumper cover is to proceed carefully. You don't have to pry or pull things hard.

I did not fully remove the wheel well trim. I just released enough fasteners to pull the rearward side out enough to get small ratchet behind it.
Is the hands free tailgate working fine?
Old 06-01-2017, 05:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by drkknte
The only word of caution I would give if you plan to DIY or someone other than the dealer is to research your options if you have the hands free tailgate operation. The sensor is built into the entire lower valance in a loop fashion in models without the hitch. The cutout version has two loops, one on each side of the hitch cutout.
drkknte, are you saying that I will lose my hands-free trunk access if I trim the fascia with this hitch install?
Old 06-01-2017, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by achan
drkknte, are you saying that I will lose my hands-free trunk access if I trim the fascia with this hitch install?
I just placed my order for the OEM hitch and Valance. I think he's saying if you have the hands free option and don't have the tow package to be careful cutting the original valance because of where the sensors are located. I would personally buy a new valance with the cutout for the hitch for a cleaner/oem look and won't have to worry about cutting the handsfree sensors

Quick Reply: Aftermarket trailer hitch now available