Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Any idea how much gas consumption when engine is running?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamesju

Sometimes the dinner will last two hours and longer. Just want to make sure that I come back and there are still enough gas for me to drive home
I hope you have some kind of remote temp monitor in the car so in case the engine or AC quits you will know about its before your dog is dead.

I do, and I also have a placard that I place in the window starting that the temp is being monitored remotely, the dogs are safe, and my cellphone number to call for any problem. This to avoid some passerby breaking out a window to get the dogs out.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
I hope you have some kind of remote temp monitor in the car so in case the engine or AC quits you will know about its before your dog is dead.

I do, and I also have a placard that I place in the window starting that the temp is being monitored remotely, the dogs are safe, and my cellphone number to call for any problem. This to avoid some passerby breaking out a window to get the dogs out.
Not that I leave my dog in the car but thats a great idea Rick for others who do. You never know when something could go bad that will make the engine shut down at any moment with these electronic vehicles.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe

Rick - very cool! What is the remote temp monitor device that you are using, and what costs are involved?
Old 07-11-2018, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
Rick - very cool! What is the remote temp monitor device that you are using, and what costs are involved?
I use a device called TempStick paired with a hotspot from Freedompop. 500MB 3G service is $4 a month from FreedomPop. Use only maybe 30MB a month with 5 min report interval. Tempstick service is included with purchase of device.

That said, I can't really recommend this setup unless you are very tech savvy. It took some fiddling with settings to get it to work, especially setting up the hotspot and FreedomPop has really lousy support. You could use the in-car wifi if you're still paying for that (I'm not), but I think it only works with the ignition on.

If you do a web search for temp monitoring for RVs, you'll find all-in-one devices offered that will cost more per month but easier to set up and potentially more reliable.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 45 mpg US = 5.2 l/100km

Old 07-12-2018, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

RickObe - thanks for the info.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u can buy a wireless bluetooth thermometer and leave it in the suv. monitor the temperature on ur cellphone app
Old 07-13-2018, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Road Pirate
u can buy a wireless bluetooth thermometer and leave it in the suv. monitor the temperature on ur cellphone app
That will only work if you're within about 30 ft of the car with no obstructions. Not useful in most circumstances.

There are wireless thermometers that you can get that work via an separate RF channel and have a range of about 200 ft. I used to use one of these, but too often I was seated in the back of the restaurant and didn't get a good signal. Hence the need for a system that works over the cellular network so you are able to read the temp and get alerts even if you're miles away.